DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

Casting for today 28th October 😊😊

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56220

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56221

Apologies - this should have been posted on the casting thread. I got a bit too excited about these casts.

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

thank you for posting.

both equally exciting & wonderful casts. definitely an afternoon and an evening full of treats

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that Calvin Richardson is doing Espada for the matinee & Gamache for the evening. Such different roles!

(I do not love that I've had to queue for nearly half an hour for a rail replacement bus and it's looking touch and go as to whether it will connect with the train it was scheduled to.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Casting for today 28th October 😊😊

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56220

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56221

Apologies - this should have been posted on the casting thread. I got a bit too excited about these casts.

That's fine: we seem to be posting on-the-day casting on the production threads anyway, which makes a lot more sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

And I'd been confused by the replacement Basilio and thinking it was a "tall" cast, yet James Hay is doing Gamache again and I'm missing it :( Oh well, hopefully the casting will still be the same by the cinema relay, anyway.  And I'm recovering from a migraine, so probably wouldn't have managed a trip up to London for an early-start matinee anyway.

45 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I love that Calvin Richardson is doing Espada for the matinee & Gamache for the evening. Such different roles!

(I do not love that I've had to queue for nearly half an hour for a rail replacement bus and it's looking touch and go as to whether it will connect with the train it was scheduled to.)

I think he’ll be brilliant in both roles! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Wonderful casts and I'm particularly excited for this evening, it being the one show of Don Quixote I'm able to attend this season (but also looking forward to the cinema showing!). I was especially hoping to get chance to see Isabella Gasparini's Mercedes, but so many other of my favourites dancing in other roles too 😊 

• Like 1

Well. What a sensational performance I have just seen.  Matthew and Mayara started off sparking, then moved to sizzling, then ended on fire!  Those one-handed lifts, that could have gone on forever!  Those fouettés…stunning, and I am christening them The Mayara Mix. She threw a bit of everything in, and so confidently!  The rest of the cast was wonderful, and what a hot debut from Calvin as Espada.  I think I would have fainted like the tavern girl. Very nice dancing (although slightly off the music a couple of times) and convincing characterisation.  Leticia Dias reprised the role of Mercedes with her Latin gusto and joy.  We had the usual sweet Amour from Isabella Gasparini, and a graceful, elegant Queen of the Dryads from Annette Buvoli.  A fizzing Panza from Liam Boswell to Gary Avis’s deeply considered Don made an interesting contrast that worked for me.  Leo Dixon was a raunchy Gypsy leader. And what more can I say about James Hay’s Gamache?  If the leads hadn’t been so good he’d have stolen the show.  

The whole cast were energised and having a fantastic time on stage;  therefore, I was having a fantastic time in the audience.  

If you can get to a cinema to see the screening on November 7th (or a replay) I can’t recommend this cast strongly enough!  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I think it's for a camera 'rehearsal' for the cinema relay, and to have a backup for wonkey moments on the live relay, should they decide to release a dvd.

Yes. I think they also test lighting levels, dancers’ make-up etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Am I going mad or did the cast list for this evening initially have Masciari down for Sancho Panza? Now it has Ikarashi.

It did list Masciari.

This afternoon’s cast sheet had Leo Dixon down for Gypsy King and Lead Fandango. But, then, he appeared as the lead Ruffian, thus making the Fandango appearance impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Well. What a sensational performance I have just seen.  Matthew and Mayara started off sparking, then moved to sizzling, then ended on fire!  Those one-handed lifts, that could have gone on forever!  Those fouettés…stunning, and I am christening them The Mayara Mix. She threw a bit of everything in, and so confidently!  The rest of the cast was wonderful, and what a hot debut from Calvin as Espada.  I think I would have fainted like the tavern girl. Very nice dancing (although slightly off the music a couple of times) and convincing characterisation.  Leticia Dias reprised the role of Mercedes with her Latin gusto and joy.  We had the usual sweet Amour from Isabella Gasparini, and a graceful, elegant Queen of the Dryads from Annette Buvoli.  A fizzing Panza from Liam Boswell to Gary Avis’s deeply considered Don made an interesting contrast that worked for me.  Leo Dixon was a raunchy Gypsy leader. And what more can I say about James Hay’s Gamache?  If the leads hadn’t been so good he’d have stolen the show.  

The whole cast were energised and having a fantastic time on stage;  therefore, I was having a fantastic time in the audience.  

If you can get to a cinema to see the screening on November 7th (or a replay) I can’t recommend this cast strongly enough!  

I am now very excited for November 7. And have Kaneko and Bracewell to look forward to on the 3rd. Can’t wait! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

2, 3 and 6 December for us in 🇦🇺 

At least I'll know the casting in advance 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm going to be very interested to compare the chemistry between Naghdi/Ball and Magri/Ball when I see the latter on 7th. I do wonder if being real life partners adds an extra dimension?

It certainly did during their Carousel pdd during lockdown, and Sim’s review would very much suggest the same here, although that isn’t always the case with real life partners. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

It certainly did during their Carousel pdd during lockdown, and Sim’s review would very much suggest the same here, although that isn’t always the case with real life partners. 

I love that Carousel PDD - it's such beautiful dancing and characterisation. Yes. Sim's review did suggest that, didn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing it on 7th. I'd like to see Calvin Richardson as Espada, too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rob S said:

All debuts going well!!! 

I'm both glad & frustrated to hear that. I started having a panic attack just as Mercedes & the matadors entered & after about 10 mins fighting it I had to leave. I'm absolutely livid with myself for missing most of the performance. (Currently on a train fighting to try to control waves of anxiety.)

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm both glad & frustrated to hear that. I started having a panic attack just as Mercedes & the matadors entered & after about 10 mins fighting it I had to leave. I'm absolutely livid with myself for missing most of the performance. (Currently on a train fighting to try to control waves of anxiety.)

So sorry to hear this, Dawnstar.  I hope you recover very soon.  Xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

:( So very sorry to hear this. I hope you get home safe and sound and then can manage your anxiety. You can't help having a panic attack, so please don't be hard on yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm so sorry, Dawnstar, but don't be livid with yourself! It just happened, and you've done the right thing by going homewards. I hope it will pass soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1