Report that Northern Ballet to drop orchestra - at least for touring engagements which may well be its majority ...

12 minutes ago, Henry said:

Is anyone aware of any dancers that are leaving, being made redundant?  Or of anyone being made redundant from Northern Ballet?

The direness of the finances has come as a total shock to many,  and no, totally unware of anyone 'let go'.

Though has anyone been taken on recently?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Henry said:

I notice in today's links (thanks Janet) an article about this on the Musicians' Union website.  It says 

"Northern Ballet has acted to make as many savings as possible to minimise the loss. This has included redundancies in the Company and a substantially reduced headcount."

Is anyone aware of any dancers that are leaving, being made redundant?  Or of anyone being made redundant from Northern Ballet?  

I'm so sorry to hear this.  That said, I'm not surprised.  The only thing that will make Northern Ballet's case harder to currently plea is that - certainly in terms the UK arts sector - they are not alone.  VERY far from it.  That much I am all too aware of.  Certainly ALL - even the most prominent - within the UK arts charitable sector will most certainly have had to make - or most assuredly SHOULD have made provisions and plans by now in order to ensure their future thinking and, ultimately, their very survival.  For many it is almost a little to late to begin doing so now - if that's what is in their current mix.  It's a rough world out there.   As I said I think at the top of this sad strand, hang on for a VERY bumpy ride.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

27 minutes ago, Ondine said:

The direness of the finances has come as a total shock to many,  and no, totally unware of anyone 'let go'.

Though has anyone been taken on recently?

No, they didn't take anyone new on and there are posts not filled such as replacing Yoko Ichida.  I don't think they've appointed any new dancers this year, just promoted a few of the existing ones and they had 5 leave over the summer who are obviously not being replaced.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

No, they didn't take anyone new on and there are posts not filled such as replacing Yoko Ichida.  I don't think they've appointed any new dancers this year, just promoted a few of the existing ones and they had 5 leave over the summer who are obviously not being replaced.    

If you included Mlindi Kulashe, who left last December, 6 dancers left the company.  The company has taken on new dancers, admittedly not as many as who left.  Aaron Kok joined the company this season (and very good he looked in the mixed programme recently).  Jun Ishii was promoted from apprentice to full company member and 3 new apprentices are listed (although one is only due to stay till the end of the year.

Looking at the Admin staff, fewer receptionists are listed and there are some posts shown as vacancies.

I would say the company has slimmed down slightly but not by much.

• Thanks 1

Signed the petition and already donated to the Romeo and Juliet appeal before the petition- admittedly, that was more out of respect for Christopher Gable's artistry and  inspiring leadership and teaching than for this current crisis, which the Yorkshire  Post reported as having begun before Federico Bonelli joined (even before prices rose due to the  invasion of Ukraine, they made a loss of over £300K for the 2021-2022 season)

Glad to see that ticket sales for their 6 performances at Nottingham Theatre Royal are doing well (the Dress Circle is sold out for some  performances and elsewhere, most of the  top price seats have sold out at most performances, with mainly restricted view or lower prices left), so well done and  thank you Nottingham residents  and visitors who have bought tickets.

I think they should do some galas for fundraising two or three times a year like many companies worldwide do. It may look like  doom and gloom according to the papers but actually there are a lot of people around with a lot of  spare funds. If NB don't hold a posh dinner (like the RB one for Cinderella) and fundraising gala, someone else will, and the people with the funds will spend their money with them instead. They could do one in Leeds and  one in London, where they both have plenty of support. And of course the NB Sinfonia to play live at both.

They also need a long term change in the way they tour eg reducing the number of performances  at venues that sell less well, but visiting more cities. It's strange that Norwich, with a population  a quarter that of Nottingham, is getting more shows than Nottingham (yes, the theatre is smaller but there are 600,000 fewer people in Norwich- and there are many competing  dance and other companies that visit Norwich Theatre Royal as well, from Ballet Black to English  Touring Opera to the West End hit 2:22 A Ghost Story, etc). Looking at ways to reduce transport costs eg not touring only narrative ballets with lots of sets, props and  costumes all the  time. 

Without a long term plan  to increase revenue, even cutting out live music for every show won't  solve the problem of their financial losses as the money saved would  soon run out. Not only is it horrific to sacrifice  the musicians and music to cut costs, but what will simply happen  is that many audiences in the North will simply get a train to Leeds to get performances with live music, and audiences in Norwich, Woking etc that are nearer London will simply get a train  to the  London shows instead.

Eventually the shows with recorded music will have such low numbers that... reinstating the musicians later will be  too late, because of damage to the brand. People will assume they still use recorded music. Then what? Close NB? Cutting out the musicians is simply not a helpful solution.   

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Signed the petition and already donated to the Romeo and Juliet appeal before the petition- admittedly, that was more out of respect for Christopher Gable's artistry and  inspiring leadership and teaching than for this current crisis, which the Yorkshire  Post reported as having begun before Federico Bonelli joined (even before prices rose due to the  invasion of Ukraine, they made a loss of over £300K for the 2021-2022 season)

Glad to see that ticket sales for their 6 performances at Nottingham Theatre Royal are doing well (the Dress Circle is sold out for some  performances and elsewhere, most of the  top price seats have sold out at most performances, with mainly restricted view or lower prices left), so well done and  thank you Nottingham residents  and visitors who have bought tickets.

I think they should do some galas for fundraising two or three times a year like many companies worldwide do. It may look like  doom and gloom according to the papers but actually there are a lot of people around with a lot of  spare funds. If NB don't hold a posh dinner (like the RB one for Cinderella) and fundraising gala, someone else will, and the people with the funds will spend their money with them instead. They could do one in Leeds and  one in London, where they both have plenty of support. And of course the NB Sinfonia to play live at both.

They also need a long term change in the way they tour eg reducing the number of performances  at venues that sell less well, but visiting more cities. It's strange that Norwich, with a population  a quarter that of Nottingham, is getting more shows than Nottingham (yes, the theatre is smaller but there are 600,000 fewer people in Norwich- and there are many competing  dance and other companies that visit Norwich Theatre Royal as well, from Ballet Black to English  Touring Opera to the West End hit 2:22 A Ghost Story, etc). Looking at ways to reduce transport costs eg not touring only narrative ballets with lots of sets, props and  costumes all the  time. 

Without a long term plan  to increase revenue, even cutting out live music for every show won't  solve the problem of their financial losses as the money saved would  soon run out. Not only is it horrific to sacrifice  the musicians and music to cut costs, but what will simply happen  is that many audiences in the North will simply get a train to Leeds to get performances with live music, and audiences in Norwich, Woking etc that are nearer London will simply get a train  to the  London shows instead.

Eventually the shows with recorded music will have such low numbers that... reinstating the musicians later will be  too late, because of damage to the brand. People will assume they still use recorded music. Then what? Close NB? Cutting out the musicians is simply not a helpful solution.   

I’ve said it before…. I vote Emeralds for Prime Minister!!

You speak so much logic - I only wish I could believe that the decision makers of arts funding bodies & charity trustees & board members of organisations like NB hear & understand these very pertinent points….and adjust decisions & reassign funding & management efforts to better effect! 

• Like 1

Thank you @Peanut68,you are too kind! I just hope they do something to raise more funds on a regular basis. Which dance lover wouldn't love to see more dance? They will raise more money putting on a different type of programme (ie galas and special  performances) than just waiting for donations, which can only raise very limited amounts. Also I think (from observing box office patterns), there are many who will pay to see former stars like Javier Torres and Bonelli himself return in a gala role (even character parts if they don't wish to jump) - not only is there a sense of continuity and their star dust will help box office revenue, but a powerful sense of "we're all joining forces to overcome these tough times together". Galas also of course don't require transport costs for sets and props because there should be none; costumes can be carried in hand luggage, and galas provide opportunities for procuring sponsorship. This is about saving Northern Ballet as well as  the orchestra-they cannot be hovering between a £300K deficit and a £500K deficit (or whatever they had till March 2023, June 2023, or September 2023) on a regular basis; the status quo is obviously not sustainable, and axing an orchestra won't generate income. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

... not only is there a sense of continuity and their star dust will help box office revenue, but a powerful sense of "we're all joining forces to overcome these tough times together" ...

So agree.  Perhaps Tiler Peck could join in.  With her SM following that would sell a good number of tickets I'm sure.  Certainly the NYCB house was sold for last night's Fall (i.e., Fashion) Gala.  They could also bring in a lot of local Leeds celebrities for Northern Ballet I'm sure.  I passed Margot Robbie (you know, Barbie) last night going into State Theater - all very glam with her VERY LONG pink train - (seemingly with a life of its own) - and was delighted to be able to have a brief chat with the entrancing Alexa Maxwell and Amar Ramasar on the way out.  Tiler Peck literally blazed her way through 'Fascinatin' Rhythm' and Megan Fairchild was wryly steaming in The Man I Love - all in their sequin rich but blessedly non-impeding creations by Wes Gordon for Caroline Herrera.  Could have done without the guest singers though.  Certainly the female contingent sounded extremely strained - especially next to such world class dancers and such a fine orchestra.  The days of Ethel Merman alone commanding those very same boards in that very same music - and that without a microphone - are long gone I fear.  (How I remember that very same programme with Mary Martin singing 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy' prone on a tower of period suitcases, Renata Scotto intoning 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', Julie Andrews proudly strutting forth with her 'Burlington Bertie' whilst Carol Channing relished her 'Little Girl from Little Rock' and the indomitable Leontyne Price embellished - as ONLY she could - 'What I Did for Love'.  How lucky we were to have been able to catch such sounds in the flesh.  That's what makes Galas special - i.e., GALA - surely.)  

A film with a witty take on the extraordinary highlights of Northern Ballet's history would certainly save time from what can often be wayward speeches - and be something they could additionally use as a fundraising tool in the crucial months to follow.  Here's the effort that was shown just before Glass Pieces last night.  What a wonderful testament that world encompassing ballet is to New York City much as Infra is for the Royal to London.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if, say, Kenneth Tindall could fashion something appropriately more intimate to celebrate not only his fine company but also the wit and wisdom of the rightly searing Northern ripeness of Leeds itself.  You just know that Alan Bennett for one would be on his feet!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

So agree.  Perhaps Tiler Peck could join in.  With her SM following that would sell a good number of tickets I'm sure.  Certainly the NYCB house was sold for last night's Fall (i.e., Fashion) Gala.  NB could also bring in a lot of local Leeds celebrities for Northern Ballet I'm sure.  I passed Margot Robbie (you know, Barbie) last night going into State Theater - all very glam with her VERY LONG pink train - (seemingly with a life of its own) - and was delighted to be able to have a brief chat with the entrancing Alexa Maxwell and Amar Ramasar on the way out.  Tiler Peck literally blazed her way through 'Fascinatin' Rhythm' and Megan Fairchild was wryly steaming in The Man I Love - all in their sequin rich but blessedly non-impeding creations by Wes Gordon for Caroline Herrera.  Could have done without the guest singers though.  Certainly the female contingent sounded extremely strained - especially next to such world class dancers and such a fine orchestra.  The days of Ethel Merman alone commanding those very same boards in that very same music - and that without a microphone - are long gone I fear.  (How I remember that very same programme with Mary Martin singing 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy' prone on a tower of period suitcases, Renata Scotto intoning 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', Julie Andrews proudly strutting forth with her 'Burlington Bertie' whilst Carol Channing relished her 'Little Girl from Little Rock' and the indomitable Leontyne Price embellishing - as ONLY she could - 'What I Did for Love'.  How lucky we were to have been able to catch such sounds in the flesh.  That's what makes Galas special - i.e., GALA - surely.)  

A film with a witty take the extraordinary highlights of Northern Ballet's history would certainly save time from what can often be wayward speeches.  Here's the effort that was shown just before Glass Pieces last night.  What a wonderful testament that world encompassing ballet is to New York City.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if, say, Kenneth Tindall could fashion something appropriately more intimate to celebrate not only his fine company but also the wit and wisdom of the rightly searing Northern ripeness.

Would love to see Tiler Peck and Benjamin Ella each invited to perform something at such a gala or galas as it is unique to have choreographers who are still dancing (and brilliant dancers at that) who have been part of their critically acclaimed autumn triple bill so far. Great idea, Bruce! I feel like Northern Ballet has taken some bold, visionary steps (and clearly invested time and money, plus special efforts from Federico Bonelli) but not capitalised or run with it. Much too low key, and sometimes too low key is not giving talent their due. How immense is it to be the first European company to have a creation from Tiler Peck?! It's huge.

All ballet companies would love to have a new classical choreographer- I thought Paris Opera, La Scala or a German company might have tried to get a commission from her first, or even RB or BRB, but Bonelli and Northern Ballet quietly got there first! Also it says something about the talent and humility of both Peck and Ella that both just travelled to Leeds in between demanding roles (him after Bluebird, her before Jewels) and quietly  choreographed beautiful ballets with NB.

They should shout it from the rooftops more- eg a Royal premiere (Prince Edward is their patron and has attended their performances- again, so low key), TV coverage, a grand opening party with sponsors and press invitations.

Hope they will read this and organise one for the 31 Oct London premiere. (I asked about NYCB casting on another thread to see if Tiler was due to dance that week. Fingers crossed, she appears to  be free!!) Fingers crossed Benjamin also gets the day off.

Come on David Collins and  NB- quick smart! I do know people in PR and marketing who have been able to organise a successful black tie London opening event with just 72 hours' notice- 3 weeks should be easy peasy!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Come on David Collins and  NB- quick smart! I do know people in PR and marketing who have been able to organise a successful black tie London opening event with just 72 hours' notice- 3 weeks should be easy peasy!

I am sure that everyone at NB has well got their thinking caps on already!

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Emeralds - if you are not running for Prime Minister can you at least set up a one person Ballet PR agency & take on NB? 

😁😄😂 My enthusiasm overruns sometimes, but I have had the experience of putting on an urgent/last minute fundraiser- it wasn’t last minute because it was left too late but because we suddenly realised we had a lot of talented performers who were floating around for two weeks with nothing booked in between commitments. It was an incredible event which won’t be repeated (such is the ephemeral nature of art sometimes) and we couldn’t live stream it simply because the Hall wasn’t set up for that sort of thing, although we even had donors from abroad. Incredibly we didn’t even approach our biggest donor/sponsor-he heard about it through someone else we approached and sent word back that he would like to help.

We learnt something interesting then that if you aren’t too timid or scared to ask, people can sometimes be even more generous than you ever dreamt of. But you must offer people something, whether it’s front row tickets, acknowledgement or advertising space in the programme or posters. 

I didn't have time to squeeze this bit in, but iI agree with @Bruce Wall that it would be lovely to have Kenneth Tindall’s choreography as well as David Nixon’s at such an event. The 50th anniversary gala that they did in 2020 pre Covid springs to mind but the idea is less to have a lot of hoopla and glamour (which itself can incur more expense) but to work with the talent among the artists they currently have and who have worked with them, to raise revenue. And since they’re a touring company, it would be a good idea to present it in two locations, to maximise revenue (Leeds audiences shouldn’t have to shoulder the funding for every other city, and London has fans and supporters  within the population who would be willing to help and to attend). 

Oh dear, I can’t see the video Jan posted. Will wait a bit and try again later. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Prize for anyone who can spot where former RB principal and now RB guest coach and ENB School Director Viviana Durante is in that YouTube clip Bruce shared! 😁 (Also noted the prominent sponsorship credit at the end of the video- clever!) 

She was dancing The Man I Love pas de deux from Who Cares.  It’s on YouTube if you haven’t seen it - it’s absolutely beautiful.

56 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

She was dancing The Man I Love pas de deux from Who Cares.  It’s on YouTube if you haven’t seen it - it’s absolutely beautiful.

Very good-OnePigeon gets the prize - 👏 (sorry the prize isn't more fancy than digital applause!) Yes, right at the end just before  the  credits with Robert La Fosse, and OnePigeon is right,  the  full pas de deux is on YouTube  for those who haven't  seen  it. They were so brilliant together! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

That's not working for me sadly, it says 'No video with supported format and MIME type found'.

I had some trouble  downloading it but managed  to do it on a borrowed device from a friend.  Basically it is Federico Bonelli giving the speech before curtain up to explain about the  flyers and  the Sinfonia  wearing T shirts. He gave his support  and  praise to the  orchestra, said they  didn't want to be performing without  the musicians either, mentioned the  rising costs of energy, raw material and  transportation costs. I  had been a little concerned about not hearing from Federico Bonelli himself (whether online or in a statement or verbally eg in interviews) and wasn't sure where he stood although ot course I know he appreciates musician  colleagues. So it was very reassuring to hear and see him speak. I hope NB can fundraise to increase their financial reserves.  People have the means to support them- whether it be concerts from the  Sinfonia, gala programmes or charity teas/dinners/lunches etc (NYCB did/does a cute one at Nutcracker  time with a lunch for children and families, gingerbread houses and  colouring books in goody bags.....kerching!) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose as ENO are only now performing part time (adding up this season's performing dates comes to under 6 months) they're using that as the rationale for wanting to only have a part time orchestra. Gone are the days when their season ran through to June, they finish in March this coming year.