For Vienna, I was told to avoid the stalls as it’s lower than the stage and not well raked.  But I haven’t yet been myself.  

I had been contemplating it for Friedemann Vogel and Guillem Cote in ‘Songs of a Wayfarer’

I went to the staatsoper twice for the ballet - Giselle and Onegin - both excellent. I was in the parterre I think 2 rang slightly to one side and it was lovely view - easy to book online etc ... it was proper snowing when we came out of onegin so we went to hotel Sacher for heisse schokolade mit sahne !!!

• Like 3

On 25/08/2023 at 00:06, art_enthusiast said:

Another quick question regarding another European company - I'm also not too sure where to post this! Does anyone have any tips/insights about seating for the Prague State Opera/National Theatre?

I am from Prague and I often go to the State Opera.  The seats on the 1st balcony are the best, but watch out for the discounted seats behind the columns, they have a very limited view.  Personally, I always prefer the 1st row on the ground floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Capricorn said:

I am from Prague and I often go to the State Opera.  The seats on the 1st balcony are the best, but watch out for the discounted seats behind the columns, they have a very limited view.  Personally, I always prefer the 1st row on the ground floor.

Thank you for the information!

Do you have any opinion on Der Rosenkavalier? I was thinking of going to see it as I’ve always wanted to see this opera live.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Do you have any opinion on Der Rosenkavalier? I was thinking of going to see it as I’ve always wanted to see this opera live.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this opera, I mostly go to ballet performances.

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I had a feeling I'd fairly recently read a review of Prague's Rosenkavalier (it's my favourite opera so I'll always read reviews of it, even if I'll never see the production in question) so a quick Google and https://bachtrack.com/review-rosenkavalier-strauss-prague-state-opera-november-2022 It looks like it was the same 3 leading ladies as this coming season, though a different Ochs.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blossom said:

Following with interest- Prague is next on my list (Onegin and a new Coppelia).

Onegin is performed in the historic building of the National Theatre, and here, too, the best seats are on the 1st balcony.  Coppelia will be performed at the State Opera.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2023 at 21:34, Dawnstar said:

I had a feeling I'd fairly recently read a review of Prague's Rosenkavalier (it's my favourite opera so I'll always read reviews of it, even if I'll never see the production in question) so a quick Google and https://bachtrack.com/review-rosenkavalier-strauss-prague-state-opera-november-2022 It looks like it was the same 3 leading ladies as this coming season, though a different Ochs.

Thanks for this, I am now confirmed to go in October!

Much more affordable tickets compared to the ROH! Particularly for opera anyway, which has gone up so much this year

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just checking back to say that I loved Prague's Rosenkavalier, it was incredible. Arnheiður Eiríksdóttir as Octavian, Petra Alvarez Šimková as the Marschallin and Vera Talerko as Sophie - all brilliant!

Asking here as I'm not sure where the thread is - does anyone know how booking for La Scala works? Is it similar to Bavarian where you have to place orders first? I'm not too sure

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, Silver Capricorn, booking opened for La Sylphide today and I was able to book in the first row of the first balcony. There's even a 50% discount for over-65s, so a friend will be coming along for only €24!

Edited by Aruna S

• 5 months later...

I went for La Sylphide in Prague last week. It was a lovely production, and beautifully danced. I'm very hopeful that they'll bring it on tour to Italy.

The State Opera is a very pretty theatre, with an intimate feel, and a completely non-intrusive security rail (Italian theatres please take note!) The only slight caveat is that the front row of the balcony has rather limited legroom, in future I'd book from the second row onwards. The rake is excellent. 

• Thanks 2