A 'ballet/dance miscellany' thread

This week's University Challenge had a set of questions about ... Maria Tallchief!  And they weren't easy, either - not the sort of thing I'd have expected your average undergraduate to know about.

• Like 2

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ROH is cleaning out its closets.....

The Royal Ballet and Opera will be staging its first costume sale for over 10 years. Join us on Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 October at The Backstage Centre in High House Production Park, Purfleet. 

Whether you are replenishing your own theatre wardrobe, looking for the perfect fancy dress, need a new re-enactment costume, a one-off Halloween look or something unique for every day, there is something for everyone at surprisingly affordable price points. Over 25,000 items from a huge array of opera and ballets will be available from modern day to period costumes including accessories, hats and shoes. All money raised will go towards the Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation.

Entrance to the costume sale will be by pre booked tickets only. Tickets will go on sale online to Friends on 19 September at 9am and will be limited to two tickets per person. 

There are a limited number of tickets available for a special preview evening on Friday 11 October. Booking opens on 17 September at 9am for the preview evening only. Tickets are limited to one per Friend subject to availability. Booking links will be sent out nearer the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking only the other week that it was a long time since they'd had a costume sale.  Mind you, holding it out at Purfleet does take it off my radar somewhat.

Congratulations to Xander Parish and his wife Anastasia Demidova on the birth of their daughter Amalia

Xander Parish: ‘I love Russia. It made me a ballet star’ (thetimes.com) (paywall but in the links tomorrow)

and link to tickets for his The Gates of Kyiv at Windsor Theatre Royal  The Gates of Kyiv – Theatre Royal Windsor

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 5

Random Question - Does anyone know why the Royal Opera House produced the programme in purple not the usual red for Scenes de Ballet/Month in the Country/Rhapsody in the 2021/22 season. This one random purple programme in a sea of red bugs me every time and I never knew why they did it...

1 hour ago, JaneHartley said:

Random Question - Does anyone know why the Royal Opera House produced the programme in purple not the usual red for Scenes de Ballet/Month in the Country/Rhapsody in the 2021/22 season. This one random purple programme in a sea of red bugs me every time and I never knew why they did it...

In his introductory notes KOH states "....we are honored to dedicate this programme....to Her Majesty The Queen, Patron of the Royal Ballet, to celebrate the occasion of Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee" .... so I believe the purple was a nod to her.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JaneHartley said:

Platty Jubes innit.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Platty Jubes innit.

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

In his introductory notes KOH states "....we are honored to dedicate this programme....to Her Majesty The Queen, Patron of the Royal Ballet, to celebrate the occasion of Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee" .... so I believe the purple was a nod to her.  

Was this the only programme to get the purple paintbrush? I don't think I went to this performance anywhere near any of the actual jubilee celebrations! 

On 06/09/2024 at 21:45, alison said:

Yes. In the same way, the programme for sleeping beauty on the day of the king's coronation had a blue slipcover.

Now I am disappointed I didn't get a blue odd one out!

Edited by JaneHartley