News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

A lot of leavers and newcomers in Bavarian State Ballet:

Several members of our company will be embarking on new journeys next season. Shale Wagman will join the Paris Opera as a Quadrille Dancer and Rafael Vedra will be dancing as a Soloist with the Ballett am Rhein in Düsseldorf. Bianca Teixeira will continue her career as a Principal Dancer with the Ballet of the Semperoper Dresden while Andrea Marino will be joining the Staatsballett Berlin as Demi Soloist.

Following her wish to concentrate more on contemporary repertoire, Eline Larrory will join the Ballet of the Opéra de Lyon. Last but not least, Kristina Lind, Melissa Chapski and Sava Milojevic will also be pursuing new opportunities.

We wish them all the best for their future endeavors, both on and off the stage and extend our heartfelt gratitude for the artistry, roles and talent they have shared with us! a

At the same time, we are thrilled to welcome new faces to our company for the upcoming season. Lizi Avsajanishvili (@lizzkaavs) will be joining us as Demi-Soloist and we will also have several new Corps de Ballet members: Sabrina Yap (@sabrinayyap), Capucine Perrot, Mikaela Milic (@mikaelamilic), Alfie Pearce (@_alfiepearce.

- currently a member of the Bayerisches

Junior Ballet München), Frederick Stuckwisch (@fred_ _stuckwisch.dances), zukasz Batoniak (@nioniek_), Finn Faulconer (@finn.

_stah) and Pablo

González Martínez (@pablo.g.mrtnz).

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9rWB6PsWZP/?igsh=MTg0eWN6dTZ2MzNqZA==

Edited by iolanthe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dramaturg Serge Honegger, who was the host for recent livestreams from Bavarian State Ballet, said also that he would leave. His detailed, yet compact introductions to ballets like Cinderella and Tchaikovsky Ouvertures were always a highlight for me.

Principal Kristina Lind didn't perform lead roles for some years, but had a longterm-contract. She leaves now due to health issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The American choreographer Richard Siegal was appointed new ballet director for the State Theatre of Nuremberg, following Goyo Montero who is leaving for Hannover in 2025. Siegal was a dancer in William Forsythe's Frankfurt Ballet from 1997 to 2004 and then started to do his own works. In 2016, he founded the "Ballet of Difference" in Munich, which is currently based very successfully at the playhouse in Cologne, but the town has decided to dissolve the company and find a new ballet director. Siegal's work is somewhere between Wayne McGregor and Edouard Lock, on pointe, with flashy costumes, light show and fast pirouettes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if already mentioned

via Google translate

Cranko" - A film about the life and work of the legendary choreographer John Cranko. His visions and influence on the ballet world brought to the screen. 🩰🌟 In cinemas from October 3, 2024! 🍿

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-kPuQlMWQv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

CRANKO | Stuttgart Ballet (stuttgart-ballet.de)

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

Reading the synopsis:"[Cranko] ran his office from the theatre canteen". I thought he ran it from a table in the studio. 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Reading the synopsis:"[Cranko] ran his office from the theatre canteen". I thought he ran it from a table in the studio.

It was the canteen. When he was in the studio, he was choreographing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2024 at 13:23, Sabine0308 said:

I do hope that it gets shown in London, but with English subtitles as I am afraid that I don’t speak German!

On the Instagram page of Staatsballett Berlin for a couple of days ago the photo of the newcomers to the company appeared, and it was interesting to see among the others Riho Sakamoto, the principal from The National Ballet of Netherlands (she's still indicated as the principal on their website).

Riho Sakamoto is welcome in Berlin as a new soloist.

• Like 1

I’m rather surprised to see Riho taken on as ‘only’ a soloist in Berlin.   Having already been a principal in Dutch National since 2021.  

I'm sure she won’t be a soloist there for long! 

• Like 2

I was surprised to see that they have just two female and two male principals in Berlin (well, two guest principals : Iana Salenko and Polina Semionova as well), so there surely will be some promotions during/after the coming season!

• Like 1

Haruka Sassa, who joined Staatsballett Berlin last season as a soloist and got promoted to Principal in the beginning of the season was also Principal at Norwegian National Ballet and Royal Swedish Ballet. So perhaps Riho Sakamoto might also follow this path

Edited by Naomi M
  • Like 3

While starting to gather links tomorrow I have come across a review for the Lucia Lacarra Ballet.

I know Ms Lacarra was a principal in Munich but I can't find out where her company is based.  Does anyone know if she is still in Germany?

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

While starting to gather links tomorrow I have come across a review for the Lucia Lacarra Ballet.

I know Ms Lacarra was a principal in Munich but I can't find out where her company is based.  Does anyone know if she is still in Germany?

As far as I know it’s a small group of 10 dancers without real base/theatre. Last year Lucia Carrara Ballet was looking for dancers based in Madrid. So I assume their main country is Spain?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the Lucía Lacarra Ballet  is based in Spain. When it was created last year it was based in the province of Guipúzcoa (and presumably still is) in the Basque region, but no specific town was mentioned. Lacarra herself is Basque and in that language the name of the province is Gipuzkoa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lacarra was director of the Victor Ullate Ballet for one year from 2018, a once famous ballet company in Spain, which was dissolved in 2019 due to a lack of fundings.

• Thanks 1

This is the official line-up of promotions and new dancers from State Ballet Berlin:

Newly appointed Principal Dancers are Haruka Sassa and Martin ten Kortenaar. Promoted to Soloists are Danielle Muir and Kalle Wigle. New Demi-Soloists are Marina Duarte, Gregor Glocke, Leroy Mokgatle, and Clotilde Tran. We extend our heartfelt congratulations!
Additionally new to the ensemble: Soloist Riho Sakamoto, Demi-Soloist Andrea Marino, as well as group dancers Bárbara Andrade, Paulina Rosa Blum, and Olmo Verbeeck Martínez.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stuttgart Ballet’s Friedemann Vogel goes scholar: he will be teaching and researching as an associate member and long-term partner at the Collaborative Research Centre “Other Aesthetics” at the University of Tübingen (near Stuttgart). He will develop and analyse movement sequences in a workshop with researchers about the topic of “Arts of Movement. Dance as an aesthetic figure of reflection”, later about “Dance Figures - Text Figures. Dance as a theme of poetry from the 10th to the 21st century”. Find a video of his initial performance in an old anatomical theatre here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New dancers at Hamburg Ballet (find the leavers here) :

New soloists: Futaba Ishizaki, Charlotte Kragh and Daniele Bonelli from Ballet on the Rhine at Düsseldorf/Duisburg

New in the Corps de Ballet: Eleanor Broughton and Caspar Sasse (former apprentices), Almudena Izquierdo and Moisés Romero (from the Bundesjugendballet), Joaquin Angelucci, Jack Bruce and Evan l’Hirondelle (from the Ballet on the Rhine)

New apprentices:  Bernadette Sinues, Hana Watanabe, Kohana Williams, Bruno Garibaldi, Javier Martínez, Filipe Rettore and Jakub Zouplna (from Hamburg Ballet School and La Scala Ballet School)

Edited by Angela
an unwanted smiley
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Angela said:

New in the Corps de Ballet: Eleanor Broughton and Caspar Sasse (former apprentices), Almudena Izquierdo and Moisés Romero (from the Bundesjugendballet), Joaquin Angelucci, Jack Bruce and Evan l’Hirondelle (from the Ballet on the Rhine)

Caspar Sasse was the leading character in Neumeier's last work Epilogue: he is reported to look very similar to the very young Neumeier (I saw Caspar, not Neumeier at his age so I cannot confirm :-9 ) and showed a considerable stage presence, being just an apprentice.

Your old message is still reporting the misleading information about Bellussi: as already discussed he will join Toulouse for just few months, remaining a principal of Hamburg Ballet.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, annamicro said:

Your old message is still reporting the misleading information about Bellussi: as already discussed he will join Toulouse for just few months, remaining a principal of Hamburg Ballet.

Please read the comments underneath, there is clarification.

The programme for Gala No. 39 at Dortmund Ballet is online - it is director Xin Peng Wang's last season:

https://www.theaterdo.de/produktionen/detail/internationale-ballettgala-xxxix/

Guests include Bleuenn Battistoni & Paul Marque, Yasmine Naghdi & Julian MacKay, Anna Tsygankova & David Motta Soares (or Giorgi Potskhishvili, as the press release states?); Jenny Laudadio, Joseph Gray, Kristóf Kovács, Francesco Pio Ricci, Jón Vallejo from Semperoper Ballett Dresden, and dancers from the Compañia Nacional de Danza in Spain and the Companhia Nacional de Bailado in Portugal

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2024 at 11:28, Angela said:

Yes of course! I would have informed you if he ended his career, believe me!

He is supposed to be guesting in Onegin in Rome in April 2025, and I've been telling all my friends that this is an opportunity not to be missed!

• Like 1