News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

29 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks Fiona M for the info re Milda Luckute. How lovely to see she is dancing Lilac Fairy already in her career probably not a chance she would have had so soon at RB. 
I saw her both in class as student and in RBS Linbury performances last June and she really caught my eye especially when in class when full all round talent was on display. 

@LinMM she did win the “best female graduate from RBS” Dame Ninette Award made by the London Ballet Circle in Summer 2023.  (Caspar Lench was the best male graduate).  

She impressed me too at the annual LBC visit to the RB school with her special artistry and musicality.  KoH made a mistake there not offering her a place.  But it’s worked to her advantage for sure.  Thanks to the universe for looking after her!  ❤️🙏

• Like 2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew about Caspar but didn’t know Milda had won this award for some reason didn’t take it in…very remiss of me 🙄
On that visit to RBS last year Milda impressed me as did a younger student who will only be graduating this summer I think her name was Francesca?  Well they ALL absolutely impressed me lol ….but these two in particular seemed to draw the eye a little more! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

The other student who  impressed a lot last summer was Francesca Lloyd. 
Also Katie Robertson who is also graduating this year..as far as I know. 

But anyway back to Dresden and all the luck to Milda as Lilac Fairy! 

• Like 2

Olga Smirnova will be dancing Anna Karenina in Hamburg on the 8th and 10th of May. Her Vronskij is Jacopo Bellussi.

I'm afraid that Neumeier's Anna Karenina unfortunately is not exactly one of my favourite ballets, opposite to Tolstoj novel, that I love: maybe that's the reason 😁

• Like 2

Dresden Semperoper Ballet season 2024/25, the first under new director Kinsun Chan:

Premieres

Kinsun Chan and Martin Zimmermann: „Wonderful World“, Premiere at the Playhouse Dresden

John Neumeier’s “Nijinsky”

Double Bill “Vice Versa” with “Noetic” by Sidi Larbi Cherkaouis and a creation by Imre and Marne van Opstal

At Semper Zwei, the experimental, smaller stage at the Semperopera, there will be a triple bill celebrating 200 years of dance at the Semperoper with works by Francesca Frassinelli, Julian Nicosia and Giovanni Insaudo. For the same occasion, there will be a Ballet Gala called “Dresdance 2025“ with all companies of the town.

Repertoire: Swan Lake and Peer Gynt by Johan Inger, a triple bill “Classics” with George Balanchine, Justin Peck and Twyla Tharp, and the old Nutcracker by Aaron S. Watkin and Jason Beechey after Petipa

https://www.semperoper.de/interim/ballett-2024-25.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday evening’s Dornroschen (Sleeping Beauty) in Dresden featured debuts from Susanna Santoro as Aurora and Rodrigo Pinto as Florimund. I thought they both did a fantastic job, no debut nerves were visible to me. Santoro’s Rose Adage was beautiful, she encapsulated the youth of Aurora but was ever so slightly regal with it, as befitting a princess. 
overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and it was good to see a slightly different ‘take’  on one of my favourite ballets. 

• Like 4

Bavarian State Ballet season 2024/25:

Premieres:

„La Sylphide“ by Pierre Lacotte

Triple Bill „Wings of Memory” with

Jiří Kylián, Bella Figura

Sidi Larbi Cherkoaui, The Faun

Pina Bausch, The Rite of Spring

the third edition of “Spheres”

curated by Sol Leon and Paul Lightfoot

with one piece by them and three young choreographers they chose

Revivals:

Peter Wright's Giselle

Illusions – Like Swan Lake by John Neumeier

Guest Company at the ballet week in spring:

Lucia Lacarra's company with  “Lost Letter”, choreography by Matthew Golding

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 11/03/2024 at 18:46, Sabine0308 said:

And my guess is he will get about 5 minutes to do so AFTER all the Opera and concert stuff have been presented at length.🙄

Well it was 15 min for Hilaire, but yes, the opera and the concert stuff had 75 min. 😒

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angela said:

Well it was 15 min for Hilaire, but yes, the opera and the concert stuff had 75 min. 😒

Wow yes, what a surprise🙄. Also, and I will NEVER stop complaining...they mentioned the names of the opera singers but not the performing dancers!! If Hilaire would be more assertive, he would have told them afterwards, because he entered the stage right after their performance. My guess is Christian Spuck would have mentioned them.

As of the next ballet season: convenience store comes to mind,  I don't see an actual program/topic.

La Sylphide (Lacotte)

Giselle (Wright)

Illusion like Swanlake (Neumeier)

Onegin

Romeo and Julia

Ballet Festival Week

Triple bill "Wings of Memory":

Bella Figura (Jiří Kylián)

Das Frühlingsopfer (Pina Bausch)

Faun (Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui)

Lost letters (Lucia Lacarra, Matthew Golding)

Spheres 3, curated by Leon/Lightfoot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Angela said:

Premieres:

Revivals:

Peter Wright's Giselle

I'm delighted to see Illusions returning to the repertoire, it's my absolute favourite ballet.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Angela said:

Premieres:

Revivals:

Peter Wright's Giselle

I am very pleased with Lacotte's La Sylphide and Neumeier's Illusion like Swan Lake.

• Like 3

Nice rep I'm Interested in La Sylphide and then I love Neumeier's Illusions Like Swan Lake (very appropriate to see it in Bavaria too with Neuschwanstein Castle so close by (if you know the ballet you will KWIM!)) and Cranko's Onegin. It's a nice mix. 

• Like 3

Hamburg Ballet season 2024/2025:

"The Times Are Racing":

“Adagio” by Pina Bausch, “Variations for two Couples” by Hans van Manen, The Thing with Feathers” by Demis Volpi and “The Times are racing” by Justin Peck

“Slow Burn”:

World premiere by Aszure Barton and "Blake Works 5" by William Forsythe

(Hamburg has not seen a Forsythe ballet in the repertoire ever)

Revival: Death In Venice. A Dance of Death by John Neumeier

Creation: “Demian” by Demis Volpi after the novel by Hermann Hesse

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/overview_2425.php?type=premieren&season=2425

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/editorial.php

Download the brochure here

Principal Karen Azatyan is leaving the company to go to Zurich, Futaba Ishizaki, Charlotte Kragh and Daniele Bonelli are following the company from Ballett am Rhein as soloists

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Angela said:

Hamburg Ballet season 2024/2025:

"The Times Are Racing":

“Adagio” by Pina Bausch, “Variations for two Couples” by Hans van Manen, The Thing with Feathers” by Demis Volpi and “The Times are racing” by Justin Peck

“Slow Burn”:

World premiere by Aszure Barton and "Blake Works 5" by William Forsythe

(Hamburg has not seen a Forsythe ballet in the repertoire ever)

Revival: Death In Venice. A Dance of Death by John Neumeier

Creation: “Demian” by Demis Volpi after the novel by Hermann Hesse

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/overview_2425.php?type=premieren&season=2425

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/editorial.php

Download the brochure here

Principal Karen Azatyan is leaving the company to go to Zurich, Futaba Ishizaki, Charlotte Kragh and Daniele Bonelli are following the company from Ballett am Rhein as soloists

I have mixed feelings about the season, at the same time repetitive (on Neumeier's works) and innovative (interesting to see more choreographers that during Neumeier's time).

I am sorry to see Karen Azatyan leaving: he is one of my favourites for his charisma and technical qualities. 

I am happy to see Alina Cojocaru still listed as guest.

Debuts in Stuttgart's Swan Lake by Cranko:

6.4. Henrik Erikson as Siegfried (with Elisa Badenes) Clemens Fröhlich as Rotbart

13.4. Matteo Miccini as Siegfried (with Anna Osadcenko),  Ciro Ernesto Mansilla as Rotbart

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Angela said:

Just a reminder that Kameliendame will be live-streamed in 10 minutes - VOD for three days, no fee

Thank you for the link, Angela,  the livestream is wonderful. We've never had the ballet performed in Britain in the last 20 years (?maybe never ever??) so it is a joy to "attend" a performance digitally. 

• Like 2

AS Emeralds saya, a wonderful  performance. Ketevan Papava was just perfect for the role of Marguerite as was Timoor Aeshar for Armand; in fact so was the whole cast. A superb performance. I didn't realise that it would be available for three days, so thank you Angela for that information. I shall certainly be watching it again. I had seen it once before on-line with Svetlana Zakharove as Marguerite guesting in a company but I don't remember which one .... but this performance surpassed all expectations!

• Like 1

Berlin State Ballet Season 2024/2025

SEASON 2024/25

Reflection spaces between love troubles, climate change, and the madness of the individual  

Berlin, March 27, 2024 --- On this Wednesday morning, the Staatsballett Berlin has released the program for the 2024/25 season. Artistic Director Christian Spuck and his team presented four premieres including one world premiere, five revivals, a guest performance by the Nederlands Dans Theater, and a broad framework and education program that will be integrated into the Staatsballett starting next season. 

In his second season, Artistic Director Christian Spuck will present four premieres including one world premiere. The evening Minus 16 (October 25, 2024, Deutsche Oper Berlin) brings together works by Sharon Eyal and Ohad Naharin, two strong voices of the present. Choreographer Edward Clug is creating A Midsummer Night's Dream after William Shakespeare (February 21, 2025, Deutsche Oper Berlin), a full-length creation set to commissioned music by Milko Lazar. The ballet Winterreise, set to Franz Schubert's song cycle of the same name in the musical arrangement by Hans Zender (May 11, 2025, Staatsoper Unter den Linden), will be reworked by Christian Spuck with the ensemble. In the final premiere, Gods and Dogs (June 28, 2025, Staatsoper Unter den Linden), Jiří Kylián explores the madness of the individual, while Crystal Pite uses the dancing bodies to symbolize human transience and vitality. 

The Nederlands Dans Theater, one of the most prestigious dance companies worldwide, will be a guest at the Staatsballett Berlin (July 2025, Deutsche Oper Berlin) presenting the trilogy Figures in Extinction, a four-year project by choreographer Crystal Pite and theater maker Simon McBurney on the theme of climate change. At the end of the season, the Ballet Week will offer eight days of full programming with three productions from the repertoire, two gala evenings, two education formats, and two panel discussions.

Returning to the repertoire is Swan Lake by Patrice Bart at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden. Also remaining there is Giselle by Patrice Bart, another major classical narrative ballet, as well as 2 Chapters Love with works by Sol León and Sharon Eyal. At the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Bovary by Christian Spuck and the triple bill evening William Forsythe will also be performed.

In the ensemble, nine dancers are pleased with promotions. Weronika Frodyma, Martin ten Kortenaar, and Haruka Sassa will become Principal Dancers from the upcoming season, while Danielle Muir and Kalle Wigle will become Soloists. Marina Duarte, Gregor Glocke, Leroy Mokgatle, and Clotide Tran will be promoted from the corps de ballet to Demi-Soloists.

Structural changes are taking place for Tanz ist KLASSE!, the education program of the Staatsballett, which will become its own department of the Staatsballett after 17 years as an association. A wide range of workshops for families, schools, daycares, as well as dance classes and holiday courses for various age groups and populations will continue to be offered. New offerings include 3D classes for teenagers, STEPahead, a training series for educators, and (K)nie zu spät, an event offering for seniors.

The behind-the-scenes look is further facilitated by the program of premieres conversations and training sessions for spectators. Opportunities for exchange are offered through ballet conversations, where ensemble members and artists invite the audience for more personal discussions. Or at the forum, where social issues related to dance on stage are discussed.

The upcoming season will be visually characterized by the photographic work of South African artist Caroline Mackintosh. The Berlin-based artist embarked on a colorful exploration of the Deutsche Oper Berlin with nine dancers for this project.

Artistic director Christian Spuck is setting accents with the program: 

"Ballet, as well as dance as a living art form, creates spaces that reflect our present in a very special way, offer a look into the past, but also capture our current experiences in a deeply turbulent and torn world. The Staatsballett Berlin is for me a place of creative creation, networking, and mutual exchange that explores and enables these spaces."

Regular ticket sales begin on June 10, 2024, with members of the Friends Circle and holders of the Danceticket being able to purchase tickets in advance starting on June 3, 2024.

STAATSBALLETT BERLIN

Season 2024/25  

Productions 2024/2025

Premieres

Minus 16
SAABA Choreography by Sharon Eyal 
Minus 16 Choreography by Ohad Naharin
25, 28, 29 October, 7, 8, 21, 24 (double performance), 29 November 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

World Premiere
Ein Sommernachtstraum
Ballet by Edward Clug after William Shakespeare 
Music by Milko Lazar 
21, 23, 26 February, 1, 9, 10, 30 (double performance) March, 21, 28 May 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Winterreise
Choreography by Christian Spuck
Music by Hans Zender after Franz Schuberts Winterreise 
11, 14, 17, 23, 29 May, 7, 9, 14 June 2025
Staatsoper Unter den Linden

Gods and Dogs
Gods and Dogs Choreography by Jiří Kylián
Angels´ Atlas Choreography by Crystal Pite
28, 29 June, 2, 6, 13, 18 July 2025

Revivals

Bovary
Choreography by Christian Spuck after the novel by Gustave Flaubert
Music by Camille Saint-Saëns, Thierry Pécou, György Ligeti u.a.
7, 8, 13, 22, 26 September, 3 (double performance) October, 21, 25 December 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Giselle
Choreography by Patrice Bart after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot
Music by Adolphe Adam
20, 24, 29 (double performance) September, 10 October, 1, 2 November, 4 December 2024

2 Chapters Love
Stars Like Moths Choreography by Sol León
2 Chapters Love Choreography by Sharon Eyal
15, 17, 23, 26, 30 November, 6 December 2024, 14, 17, 19, 22 April, 30 May 2025

Schwanensee
Choreography by Patrice Bart after Lew Iwanow and Marius Petipa
Music by Peter I. Tschaikowsky 
14, 19, 26, 28, 30 December, 16, 18 January, 15, 19, 22, 28 March, 5, 6 April 2025

William Forsythe
Blake Works I Choreography by William Forsythe
Approximate Sonata 2016 Choreography by William Forsythe
One Flat Thing, Reproduced Choreography by William Forsythe
24, 29, 31 January 2025, 27 February 2025, 6, 12 March 2025, 2, 10, 18, 25 April 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Special Events

Ballet Week
25 May TanzTanz Spezial Staatsballett Berlin, Studio
26 May TiK Workshop Staatsballett Berlin, Studio
27 May Forum Deutsche Oper Berlin, Rangfoyer
28 May Ein Sommernachtstraum Deutsche Oper Berlin
29 May Winterreise Staatsoper Unter den Linden
30 May 2 Chapters Love Staatsoper Unter den Linden
31 May Ballet Gala Staatsoper Unter den Linden
1 June Ballet Talk Staatsoper Unter den Linden, Appollosaal
1 June Ballet Gala Staatsoper Unter den Linden

Guests
Nederlands Dans Theatre & Complicité
4, 5, 6 (double performance) July 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Staatliche Ballett- und Artistikschule
25, 29 June 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Conversations

Pre-premiere Conversation
Talk before the premiere 
13 October 2024, 9 February, 27 April, 15 June 2025

Ballet Talk
Artists and guests of the Staatsballett Berlin in conversation
3 November 2024, 2 February, 23 March, 1 June 2025
Staatsoper Unter den Linden, Appollosaal

Forum Discussion Event
Event series discussing socio-political topics related to dance and ballet
12 November 2024, 14 January, 27 May 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin, Rangfoyer

Backstage

Ballet Class Up Close
17 November 2024

Season Opening Festivities
Stage rehearsal „Bovary“
31 August 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, Angela said:

The Nederlands Dans Theater, one of the most prestigious dance companies worldwide, will be a guest at the Staatsballett Berlin (July 2025, Deutsche Oper Berlin) presenting the trilogy Figures in Extinction, a four-year project by choreographer Crystal Pite and theater maker Simon McBurney on the theme of climate change.

This sounds a laugh a minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Berlin State Ballet Season 2024/2025

SEASON 2024/25

Reflection spaces between love troubles, climate change, and the madness of the individual  

Berlin, March 27, 2024 --- On this Wednesday morning, the Staatsballett Berlin has released the program for the 2024/25 season. Artistic Director Christian Spuck and his team presented four premieres including one world premiere, five revivals, a guest performance by the Nederlands Dans Theater, and a broad framework and education program that will be integrated into the Staatsballett starting next season. 

In his second season, Artistic Director Christian Spuck will present four premieres including one world premiere. The evening Minus 16 (October 25, 2024, Deutsche Oper Berlin) brings together works by Sharon Eyal and Ohad Naharin, two strong voices of the present. Choreographer Edward Clug is creating A Midsummer Night's Dream after William Shakespeare (February 21, 2025, Deutsche Oper Berlin), a full-length creation set to commissioned music by Milko Lazar. The ballet Winterreise, set to Franz Schubert's song cycle of the same name in the musical arrangement by Hans Zender (May 11, 2025, Staatsoper Unter den Linden), will be reworked by Christian Spuck with the ensemble. In the final premiere, Gods and Dogs (June 28, 2025, Staatsoper Unter den Linden), Jiří Kylián explores the madness of the individual, while Crystal Pite uses the dancing bodies to symbolize human transience and vitality. 

The Nederlands Dans Theater, one of the most prestigious dance companies worldwide, will be a guest at the Staatsballett Berlin (July 2025, Deutsche Oper Berlin) presenting the trilogy Figures in Extinction, a four-year project by choreographer Crystal Pite and theater maker Simon McBurney on the theme of climate change. At the end of the season, the Ballet Week will offer eight days of full programming with three productions from the repertoire, two gala evenings, two education formats, and two panel discussions.

Returning to the repertoire is Swan Lake by Patrice Bart at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden. Also remaining there is Giselle by Patrice Bart, another major classical narrative ballet, as well as 2 Chapters Love with works by Sol León and Sharon Eyal. At the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Bovary by Christian Spuck and the triple bill evening William Forsythe will also be performed.

In the ensemble, nine dancers are pleased with promotions. Weronika Frodyma, Martin ten Kortenaar, and Haruka Sassa will become Principal Dancers from the upcoming season, while Danielle Muir and Kalle Wigle will become Soloists. Marina Duarte, Gregor Glocke, Leroy Mokgatle, and Clotide Tran will be promoted from the corps de ballet to Demi-Soloists.

Structural changes are taking place for Tanz ist KLASSE!, the education program of the Staatsballett, which will become its own department of the Staatsballett after 17 years as an association. A wide range of workshops for families, schools, daycares, as well as dance classes and holiday courses for various age groups and populations will continue to be offered. New offerings include 3D classes for teenagers, STEPahead, a training series for educators, and (K)nie zu spät, an event offering for seniors.

The behind-the-scenes look is further facilitated by the program of premieres conversations and training sessions for spectators. Opportunities for exchange are offered through ballet conversations, where ensemble members and artists invite the audience for more personal discussions. Or at the forum, where social issues related to dance on stage are discussed.

The upcoming season will be visually characterized by the photographic work of South African artist Caroline Mackintosh. The Berlin-based artist embarked on a colorful exploration of the Deutsche Oper Berlin with nine dancers for this project.

Artistic director Christian Spuck is setting accents with the program: 

"Ballet, as well as dance as a living art form, creates spaces that reflect our present in a very special way, offer a look into the past, but also capture our current experiences in a deeply turbulent and torn world. The Staatsballett Berlin is for me a place of creative creation, networking, and mutual exchange that explores and enables these spaces."

Regular ticket sales begin on June 10, 2024, with members of the Friends Circle and holders of the Danceticket being able to purchase tickets in advance starting on June 3, 2024.

STAATSBALLETT BERLIN

Season 2024/25  

Productions 2024/2025

Premieres

Minus 16
SAABA Choreography by Sharon Eyal 
Minus 16 Choreography by Ohad Naharin
25, 28, 29 October, 7, 8, 21, 24 (double performance), 29 November 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

World Premiere
Ein Sommernachtstraum
Ballet by Edward Clug after William Shakespeare 
Music by Milko Lazar 
21, 23, 26 February, 1, 9, 10, 30 (double performance) March, 21, 28 May 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Winterreise
Choreography by Christian Spuck
Music by Hans Zender after Franz Schuberts Winterreise 
11, 14, 17, 23, 29 May, 7, 9, 14 June 2025

Gods and Dogs
Gods and Dogs Choreography by Jiří Kylián
Angels´ Atlas Choreography by Crystal Pite
28, 29 June, 2, 6, 13, 18 July 2025

Revivals

Bovary
Choreography by Christian Spuck after the novel by Gustave Flaubert
Music by Camille Saint-Saëns, Thierry Pécou, György Ligeti u.a.
7, 8, 13, 22, 26 September, 3 (double performance) October, 21, 25 December 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Giselle
Choreography by Patrice Bart after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot
Music by Adolphe Adam
20, 24, 29 (double performance) September, 10 October, 1, 2 November, 4 December 2024

2 Chapters Love
Stars Like Moths Choreography by Sol León
2 Chapters Love Choreography by Sharon Eyal
15, 17, 23, 26, 30 November, 6 December 2024, 14, 17, 19, 22 April, 30 May 2025

Schwanensee
Choreography by Patrice Bart after Lew Iwanow and Marius Petipa
Music by Peter I. Tschaikowsky 
14, 19, 26, 28, 30 December, 16, 18 January, 15, 19, 22, 28 March, 5, 6 April 2025

William Forsythe
Blake Works I Choreography by William Forsythe
Approximate Sonata 2016 Choreography by William Forsythe
One Flat Thing, Reproduced Choreography by William Forsythe
24, 29, 31 January 2025, 27 February 2025, 6, 12 March 2025, 2, 10, 18, 25 April 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Special Events

Ballet Week
25 May TanzTanz Spezial Staatsballett Berlin, Studio
26 May TiK Workshop Staatsballett Berlin, Studio
27 May Forum Deutsche Oper Berlin, Rangfoyer
28 May Ein Sommernachtstraum Deutsche Oper Berlin
29 May Winterreise Staatsoper Unter den Linden
30 May 2 Chapters Love Staatsoper Unter den Linden
31 May Ballet Gala Staatsoper Unter den Linden
1 June Ballet Talk Staatsoper Unter den Linden, Appollosaal
1 June Ballet Gala Staatsoper Unter den Linden

Guests
Nederlands Dans Theatre & Complicité
4, 5, 6 (double performance) July 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Staatliche Ballett- und Artistikschule
25, 29 June 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Conversations

Pre-premiere Conversation
Talk before the premiere 
13 October 2024, 9 February, 27 April, 15 June 2025

Ballet Talk
Artists and guests of the Staatsballett Berlin in conversation
3 November 2024, 2 February, 23 March, 1 June 2025
Staatsoper Unter den Linden, Appollosaal

Forum Discussion Event
Event series discussing socio-political topics related to dance and ballet
12 November 2024, 14 January, 27 May 2025
Deutsche Oper Berlin, Rangfoyer

Backstage

Ballet Class Up Close
17 November 2024

Season Opening Festivities
Stage rehearsal „Bovary“
31 August 2024
Deutsche Oper Berlin

Didn't they only just do Giselle and Bovary at the end of this season (they may still even be doing Giselle). 

I'm very excited about the new Berlin season. Christian Spuck explained in detail to us friends of SBB the new program. It's very diverse, fresh, and we finally get a Ballet Week! The wonderful "Tanz ist KLASSE!" Organization/society, founded in 2007 by former acting AD Christiane Theobald is now fully integrated into SBB as an extra branch. They offer so many opportunities for schools and kindergartens to discover and practice dance, every day kids/youngsters are in the theatre.

Sadly, the planned Tour to Tel Aviv was cancelled for obvious reasons (rather shifted than cancelled, I shall say). Other invitations for the company are already in, so we have to wait and see when it will happen.

Yes we lost Sleeping Beauty, but Giselle ans Swanlake are still there. And for the other pieces/ballets: the future looks bright.

Last year, they sold 98% of Tickets. So if you want to see SBB, book early!

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

98% of tickets sold is VERY impressive.  The  ballet company should get more performances in the next season on this evidence .

They do. 10 more in the new season.

• Like 2

I was a bit disappointed with Berlin's 24/5 offering...a lot of newer stuff which isn't my cup of tea. Had hoped for Onegin and La Bayadere. However if they're doing so well as Sabine says, and 98% tickets sold then fair enough! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I was a bit disappointed with Berlin's 24/5 offering...a lot of newer stuff which isn't my cup of tea. Had hoped for Onegin and La Bayadere. However if they're doing so well as Sabine says, and 98% tickets sold then fair enough! 

It's exactly the newer stuff that sells so well in Berlin, attracting young people (not only of course). And the classical ballets are usually sold out too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I think my "problem" with Berlin is that I loved it so much when Vladimir Makakhov was AD. For me it's been downhill ever since 😬

Before Christian Spuck, we still had a lot of classical ballets. Even during the disappointing and lame Oehman/Waltz "accident". I'm still really mad at Oehman to let an entire company of 90 dancers down for a personal advantage. Christiane Theobald then had the tough job to keep everything together, especially the spirit of the dancers, during Covid Times. She did a great job, and Christian Spuck acknowledged how smooth it was for him to take over. No narcissist behavior, no hassle.

I do think that Spuck has a good hand for the future. Tradition is important, will always be a part of repertoire and is not to be forgotten, but it should not remain "written in stone" for all times. If ballet, or any art form, does not develop, does not search and find new and exciting, strange, controversial ways, it dies, in my humbled opinion.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 5

I agree with Sabine. Christiane Theobald did an amazing job. She was more than a caretaker, she was proactive in developing the repertoire, and  the company wasn’t held in a holding pattern until Spuck’s arrival. I too enjoyed the Malakhov directorship, he introduced Ashton’s Sylvia, and Manon was part of the programming too. There was also a version of the Wizard of Oz which was a scream, he played the wizard. The nadir for me was Nacho Duarte. He tried to hijack the repertoire for his own works - awful. Then came the mistake of the dual regime, which got some of the classics back on track, and brought in Sharon Eyal’s Half Life, but it was a mess. Thank heavens Christiane knew the company well, knew the Berlin audience, and had great taste in both choreographers and the range of work in both the classical and modern repertoire. My only personal plea would be for Berlin to look back at the MacMillan ballets which were created in Berlin - Concerto, Anastasia one-act. I was lucky enough to talk to Christian Spuck two weeks ago, and he was clear that he didn’t want to overstock the company with his own work. He really does want to get the full range, and further develop its own identity which I find really good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1