Royal Swedish Ballet : Manon May/June 2023

2 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

The auditorium of the Royal Opera House in Stockholm is wonderful.  I have sat in various areas over the years (but not the very top level) and they have all afforded an excellent view.  The foyer is a replica of the Paris Opera's golden foyer. 

Cool, I'm a bit curious about where Manon/Corsaire are being performed Sept-Nov, I'm guessing not in Stockholm? As it says "STORA SCENEN", does that mean it's in Gothenburg?

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Cool, I'm a bit curious about where Manon/Corsaire are being performed Sept-Nov, I'm guessing not in Stockholm? As it says "STORA SCENEN", does that mean it's in Gothenburg?

In this instance, Stora Scenen means the main stage/auditorium.  Manon and Corsaire are definitely being performed at the Royal Opera House (Operan) in Stockholm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/08/2023 at 15:25, art_enthusiast said:

I've seen that Royal Swedish Ballet's Manon is back in September 2023? I was thinking of going. (Or potentially to to their Corsaire in October/November instead)

Does anyone have any tips on seating? This would be my first time going.

I sat in the stalls in row 2, which was perfect, as I love sitting close to the stage. Tickets at the Kungliga Operan are much less expensive compared to what you’d pay in London or Stuttgart.

IMG_9377.thumb.jpeg.ead9a32c25d45d06de579790bb06b579.jpeg

As @annamk said, the opera house is lovely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Christine said:

I sat in the stalls in row 2, which was perfect, as I love sitting close to the stage. Tickets at the Kungliga Operan are much less expensive compared to what you’d pay in London or Stuttgart.

Thank you!

Do you have any general recommendations for Stockholm? It would be my first time there as well - albeit only for a few days!

I'm really interested in the history of arts/ballet there in general.

• Like 1

Not really that much, I’m afraid, as I had a little less than 48 h in Stockholm. 

I know there is a dance museum there, but I had no time to visit. Having never been to Stockholm before I visited the Royal Castle and the historic city centre Gamla Stan.

I also enjoyed the Fotografiska Museum.

Pre-performance I had some nice Köttbullar (Swedish meat balls) at the Operabaren (Backfickan) in the Opera House building.

I am sure there will be many BCF members who are more knowledgeable about Stockholm and it’s dance /ballet scene than me.

Anyway, I am sure you’ll have a wonderful time there - the production & dancing are great and everyone is so relaxed in Stockholm, it just makes for a lovely break!

• Like 2

I've only been to Stockholm once for a weekend. In any case, it is worth taking a trip to Drottningholm to visit the Royal Castle. In particular, I warmly recommend a guided tour of the Slottsteater (the palace theater), which is one of the best-preserved baroque theaters in Europe. The stage technology is still almost original.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thank you!

Do you have any general recommendations for Stockholm? It would be my first time there as well - albeit only for a few days!

I'm really interested in the history of arts/ballet there in general.

The ballet museum (Dansmuset) is very close to the theatre, on a shopping street. It is fairly small but has a wide variety of photos and objects from a long historical arc. In particular there is a permanent exhibition with a lot of information on Ballets Suedois (the 1920s Swedish ballet company that performed a lot in Paris). When I went last autumn there was a very interesting exhibition on Nureyev but I think it was not a permanent one. There is a small shop and good cafe. (The other museums I went to included one devoted to Abba (my daughter is a fan) on an island that has several museums, a short ferry ride from the Old Town and quite close to the theatre. On the island we also went to the Viking museum (much better than the Yorvik in York). Unfortunately I suffered with severe tooth ache so didn't visit quite as many museums as we might have done. Wandering around the old town is a cultural experience in itself. There were interesting photos at the theatre of old productions, a dispersed mini-exhibition.

• Like 5

On 13/08/2023 at 16:56, NiniGabriel said:

I've only been to Stockholm once for a weekend. In any case, it is worth taking a trip to Drottningholm to visit the Royal Castle. In particular, I warmly recommend a guided tour of the Slottsteater (the palace theater), which is one of the best-preserved baroque theaters in Europe. The stage technology is still almost original.

Adding this here, for information.

Arnold Östman – especially famous as the distinguished artistic director of the Drottningholm Court Theatre ⁦

from 1980 to 1992 – has died at the age of 83.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw this last night and it was beautiful. Cast - Sarah Erin Keaveney and Kentaro Mitsumori. Dmitry Zagrebin was brilliant as Leascaut, and Anna Cecilia Meyer who I believe was Mistress. This was my first time seeing the company, and I think they’re all stunning!

Such a lovely opera house as well.

Just wanted to check, is this version choreographically identical to the RB’s? I haven’t yet see the RB’s one in full, only clips.

• Like 5