Hammond diploma - advice

Contretemps

Hi all,

I was wondering if any parents of current diploma students (mainly dance - but I'm sure MTs could help too!) or students themselves would mind advising me on a few things - either below or via dm?

We had a really useful zoom call this week regarding new starter info, and I'm aware that there are future sessions planned for specific topics, but I'd love to try and understand a bit more sooner rather than later - so if anyone could fill in the gaps, that would be really appreciated :) I also know the school can be slow to reply to emails, so thought it would be quicker to ask on here! I'm also aware that things change year on year, so it may be that experiences differ. 

In terms of Hammond accommodation - it was mentioned that there were 3 blocks - lower secondary school, upper secondary school and then diploma/college. Are they all pretty much within the same area, or are they quite spread out over Chester? And what does the diploma block look like - is it single occupancy, ensuite or shared bathroom, kitchen etc? I think it was mentioned that some were being renovated, but not sure which these were. Does the Hammond school transport also take the diploma/college students to the school site? And is it mainly 1st years that stay in Hammond accommodation, or can the 2nd and 3rd years also remain there? 

Faculty - we know a couple of members of staff from other associates, but don't feel we know enough about them. Would love to hear a bit more really - very general question I know, but keen to find out.

Uniform - do diploma students have to have certain items - e.g. certain colour dancewear, or is it dancer's choice?

I think they're all our burning questions for now - but would love to hear about how those who have studied their recently have found the course and faculty etc.

Thanks!

Edited by Contretemps

Hi, my DD has accepted a diploma place at Hammond. All I can add to what you already know is yes, the transport includes diploma students. We were told on her audition day that senior students have a separate floor in one of the boarding houses, and I got the impression that it's largely first year students who use it. My DD is hoping to move into a shared house for year 2/3 ideally. 

I believe the dancewear is pretty much plain black leotard. I read that in the Diploma Handbook we were sent when she first accepted her place. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

Hi, my DD has accepted a diploma place at Hammond. All I can add to what you already know is yes, the transport includes diploma students. We were told on her audition day that senior students have a separate floor in one of the boarding houses, and I got the impression that it's largely first year students who use it. My DD is hoping to move into a shared house for year 2/3 ideally. 

I believe the dancewear is pretty much plain black leotard. I read that in the Diploma Handbook we were sent when she first accepted her place. 

Thanks StreetDancer - we haven’t had a Diploma Handbook through 

5 hours ago, Contretemps said:

Thanks StreetDancer - we haven’t had a Diploma Handbook through 

Thank you to Streetdancer for highlighting that the handbook link was with the acceptance email/info - I think I've had admin overload with college applications/auditions! 

I'm still very keen to hear how those who have been on the diploma have found the course 👍

20 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

My DD is lower school, and yes currently Diploma students have a floor in the shared halls. However the school will not be in this building from September, my understanding is that they will be using their own building.. I believe it is Kingsley hall (a Chester Uni halls) if you google it you can find details.. 

It was mentioned in current students boarding meeting that the current boys boarding house is the intended new post 16 boarding from September. Years 7-10 will be in a separate house to year 11. We do know a current year 11 intending to move into a shared house which is an alternative, but you would then have to transport yourself