Coronation Concert - Ballet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be watching live from my home in San Juan! Big weekend! 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 

Best wishes to the featured dancers…in whatever they may be performing…have the ballet and choreographer been revealed? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

I’ll be watching live from my home in San Juan! Big weekend! 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 🎉 🥳 

Best wishes to the featured dancers…in whatever they may be performing…have the ballet and choreographer been revealed? 

Looks like it's going to be a 'collab', as the young people say!  This from I News:

It has also been announced that performers from the Royal Ballet, the Royal Opera, the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal College of Music and the Royal College of Art will come together for the first time.  They will create a one-off performance based around themes of love and togetherness, featuring an arrangement of a classic song from West Side Story, bespoke choreography and a visual backdrop projected onto Windsor Castle.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sim said:

Looks like it's going to be a 'collab', as the young people say!  This from I News:

It has also been announced that performers from the Royal Ballet, the Royal Opera, the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal College of Music and the Royal College of Art will come together for the first time.  They will create a one-off performance based around themes of love and togetherness, featuring an arrangement of a classic song from West Side Story, bespoke choreography and a visual backdrop projected onto Windsor Castle.

So a West Side Story “redo”? Nothing classical…grrrr…. I was thinking the main pdd from Ashton’s Homage to the  King, redone. Silly me!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I think I prefer Cinderella's pumpkin coach.  More tasteful.

Undoubtedly more comfortable too, but I think we can make allowances for a carriage that's over 250 years old.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

It's really quite ridiculous though isn't it?

William Chambers, never a minimalist. 😏

It does exactly what it was meant to do - make a big impression. I don't think it's "ridiculous" within the context of monarchy and a coronation.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Ondine said:

It's really quite ridiculous though isn't it?

William Chambers, never a minimalist. 😏

ROTFL…. 🤣 I hope that the BBC installs an in-carriage camera…bump - bump - bump!

• Like 1

And it features Roman gods and goddesses being allegorical about us being all triumphant at war. 

Queen Victoria didn't care for it, I suspect the bump-bump had something to do with it! Or perhaps she wasn't a fan of the Romans.

I'm resisting digressing into coach loo facilities, as we did with the ROH and the Royal Box. 😉

22 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Queen Victoria didn't care for it, I suspect the bump-bump had something to do with it!  

Queen Elizabeth II said the same thing. That’s why I’m amazed that they’re using it this time (for one way only, after the coronation, I read). Wheels, please stay on!  

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Wheels, please stay on!  

I'm sure the Royal Mews has made sure of that

I believe it was so chilly on the day of the last coronation a hot water bottle was put under the seat.

I remember the last coronation (we had a telly, all the neighbours came to watch). Black & white of course.

A little delving in the archives, the Coronation Ballet (Frederick Ashton) 1953 

Homage to the Queen programme, the Coronation Ballet, June 1953

https://www.roh.org.uk/photos/7302439844

Further info here.  Fascinating. Look at the cast!

https://www.wisemusicclassical.com/work/12264/Homage-to-the-Queen--Malcolm-Arnold/

Edited by Ondine

34 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I think it's really fun that after the stately tableau at the end of Homage to the Queen, the Coronation Day gala ended with Facade!

Was Edris Stannus from County Wicklow a Republican?  😉

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

A little delving in the archives, the Coronation Ballet (Frederick Ashton) 1953 

Homage to the Queen programme, the Coronation Ballet, June 1953

https://www.roh.org.uk/photos/7302439844

Further info here.  Fascinating. Look at the cast!

https://www.wisemusicclassical.com/work/12264/Homage-to-the-Queen--Malcolm-Arnold/

I know! I went to the reconstruction ca 2006, with segments by different choreographers + Ashton’s Queen of the Air section. I especially recall Steven McRae as the Spirit of Fire in Wheeldon’s Queen of Fire segment!

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

Slightly off topic but apparently the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh are coming to our local Coronation Big Lunch on Sunday...they don't live that far away so not far for them to come and the Duchess has been before (as Countess of Wessex).

• Like 4

On 02/05/2023 at 16:19, Jeannette said:

So a West Side Story “redo”? Nothing classical…grrrr…. I was thinking the main pdd from Ashton’s Homage to the  King, redone. Silly me!

Gotta say.... not sure how West Side Story is relevant to a Coronation or even Britain, especially with every word of Shakespeare’s not actually in the script any more, lovely as WSS itself might be. And of course, inevitable comparisons to Robbins and Bernstein (impossibly big shoes to fill). Oh well, at this point, I hear cynics chiming in, “you’re lucky ballet is even involved!” so I’ll say no more. 😉

• Like 1

On 03/05/2023 at 15:03, alison said:

Oh yes, the piece which was rejigged at the last minute due to Ed Watson sustaining an injury, IIRC - I think Steven was pretty much winging it, from what I remember!

I checked my notes of the performance and, whatever the situation with Watson, McRae was out-of-this-world magnificent as Spirit of Fire! It didn’t seem like floundering. His career really took off after that.  

I’m sorry that Homage was not revived. Even the corny ending (with all dancers turning their backs to the audience, to bow to the crest,) made its mark.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I checked my notes of the performance and, whatever the situation with Watson, McRae was out-of-this-world magnificent as Spirit of Fire! It didn’t seem like floundering. His career really took off after that.  

I’m sorry that Homage was not revived. Even the corny ending (with all dancers turning their backs to the audience, to bow to the crest,) made its mark.

There's a photo of that,  and more about the 2006 'Homage to the Queen' here:

http://danceviewtimes.com/2006/Spring/11/rb75gala.html

Oh dear.

And Darcey Bussell was, frankly, too much of a lump for the Fonteyn role in Air, with David Makhateli struggling to support her.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 4

That Royal Box again

The management sat their royal visitors in the so-called royal box, which gives a lousy view right round the side; did having the whole company sing “Happy birthday” at the end make up for this?

• Like 1