ROH World Ballet Day 2022

AusBallet class taken by David Hallberg, commentary by senior artist Jarryd Madden and TV presenter Livinia (not a typo) Nixon for once sensible and not intrusive. Interesting rehearsals of Cranko Romeo and Juliet with so far two different Romeos (balcony with Joseph Caley and Benedicte Benet, clowns/fights/Mercutio's death with Adam Bull as Tybalt, Brett Chynoweth dying and Callum Linnane Romeo). Joseph Caley wearing a Bolshoi Theatre T-shirt which is interesting. 

• Like 3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've now seen rehearsals of Alice Topp's Annealing, Justin Peck's Everywhere We Go and Australian Dance Theatre.

Obligatory visit to physical therapy and rehab with amazing Sue Mayes. Current clients shown include an Australian female cricketer and an AFL player, with a Portuguese therapist doing her second PhD on the foot.

Pre-recorded segments with past dancers highlighting costumes that meant something in their careers: fun.

Also, apologies to Benedicte Bemet for mis-spelling her surname in my previous and not noticing until too late to edit.

Edited by Sophoife
Bemet typo.
  • Like 2

Yes, I enjoyed the Australian Ballet open class and absolutely loved the Romeo & Juliet rehearsals.  Helps that they have already performed for the Melbourne season & now continue to polish in preparedness for Sydney Opera House.

I watched the Queensland Ballet open class.  Definitely a very vigourous company!  Really challenging the dancers in speed, turns & jumps.  I think they are differentiating themselves in this way (Cuban energy!).

• Like 4

Just started catching up on WBD on YouTube as I was on the road earlier! I’ve watched this ever since it began with the five inaugurating companies -Royal Ballet, Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, and San Francisco Ballet- years ago.  

Australian Ballet’s company class today is my favourite of all the classes I’ve seen since World Ballet Day began! Some classes are easy, some classes are tough, but I found the insights from Jarryd Madden (about calf rises, “everyone is in Don Q every night”, “this is one of David’s favourite exercise-it encourages dancers to movvve and feel the space!”) and the combination choices from David Hallberg (“don’t overwork it”, “this is the illusion (click) - even before you jump”) really informative. Hallberg still has the most elegant tendus in the business. 

Looking forward to other classes, the rehearsals and the interviews, as well as seeing how many favourite stars and rising talents I can recognise! I love how the artistic directors had the insight years ago to see how live streaming, social media, and digital tech like YouTube, can reach audiences all over the planet, especially those who don’t live within travelling distance of a theatre or ballet school and allow real time interaction (questions from online audiences). Love the pianists’ different musical offerings too! And viewers can pick what they want to watch and rewatch too. This is what art is about.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

My 15yo niece who loved ballet as a child but is too cool for it these days has a streaming cold and has spent the day in bed dozing and YouTubing. What you say @Emeralds about engagement is so true. It's nearly midnight here and niece has just texted "how much longer does this go? Need to sleeeeep 😴😴😴 but can't stop watching!" I'm so glad.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I've dipped in and out so far - the subtitles during Class at the Royal have been something of an entertainment!  

They should’ve ditched the subtitles. 
In the piece from Alexander Campbell/ Kristen McNally they were layered over some official ones.

36 minutes ago, alison said:

I've moved the posts actually discussing what's being shown into a new thread in Performances:

Please post any reactions there, unless it's obvious that they belong in this thread.  Thanks!

Thanks for moving this thread to Performances, Alison- I was going to start a thread in Performances as WBD feels like a whole day of performances, albeit in an informal setting (although there are occasional clips from shows)!  But I saw a discussion already going on in News and Information so I just joined that. 😊 I feel I should stop my YouTube catch up and try to join the live feed at the Royal Ballet, but it’s too compelling to stop halfway. 😆

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I've dipped in and out so far - the subtitles during Class at the Royal have been something of an entertainment!  

some of the subtitling is hilarious especially if, like me, one is unfamiliar with ballet terminology 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but BRB have announced that Vadim Muntagirov will guest in Swan Lake (opposite Céline Gittens) at the Theatre Royal Plymouth on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th March 2023. 

Vadim does like his Swan Lakes, it'd be a full-time job following him everywhere he's danced Siegfried LOL. 

For anyone thinking about taking a trip there are both matinee and evening performances on Saturday 18th March so worth double checking which Vadim is dancing.  I think it highly unlikely that he will dance Friday night, Saturday matinee and Saturday evening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Vadim does like his Swan Lakes, it'd be a full-time job following him everywhere he's danced Siegfried LOL. 

For anyone thinking about taking a trip there are both matinee and evening performances on Saturday 18th March so worth double checking which Vadim is dancing.  I think it highly unlikely that he will dance Friday night, Saturday matinee and Saturday evening. 

I assume it will be the two evening shows.  😃

2 hours ago, MaddieRose said:

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but BRB have announced that Vadim Muntagirov will guest in Swan Lake (opposite Céline Gittens) at the Theatre Royal Plymouth on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th March 2023. 

What really annoys me is the way this is touted by BRB as though he is doing them a favour by performing with them even though BRB is brimful of wonderful dancers already.  Bah humbug!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

What really annoys me is the way this is touted by BRB as though he is doing them a favour by performing with them even though BRB is brimful of wonderful dancers already.  Bah humbug!

agreed Janet. i saw amazing dancing in Don Q and Coppélia to name two recent BRB ballets and am heading to Sadlers even now for the Triple Bill.  too many possible BRB  Siegfrieds to name here, are there injuries at BRB i wonder or does this pressage more departures or retirements?  i hope not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeterS said:

agreed Janet. i saw amazing dancing in Don Q and Coppélia to name two recent BRB ballets and am heading to Sadlers even now for the Triple Bill.  too many possible BRB  Siegfrieds to name here, are there injuries at BRB i wonder or does this pressage more departures or retirements?  i hope not.

The announcement is a bit far ahead for it to be injuries or retirements I would have thought.

I'm not averse to guest artists - it is just the way it is shouted from the rooftops.

Carlos Acosta (when he first joined) did say (to paraphrase) that he wanted to bring guest artists in to raise the technical level!  Perhaps you get the idea of why it infuriates me!

• Like 1

I think that Carlos Acosta must have his reasons and clearly wants to work with Vadim.

This time, he is partnering one of the home team and that feels, to me, to be a better way of doing things than shipping in an existing pair.

Those who object don’t have to watch Vadim. It’s a free country.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that Carlos Acosta must have his reasons and clearly wants to work with Vadim.

This time, he is partnering one of the home team and that feels, to me, to be a better way of doing things than shipping in an existing pair.

Those who object don’t have to watch Vadim. It’s a free country.

It's also a 600 mile return journey for me so even if I was desperate to see him I wouldn't be going.

I don't object to occasional guest artists but I do object to the way it is touted by BRB.

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I’m quite sure that Vadim doesn’t think he is “doing them a favour” by performing with them. There is a lovely video with him on YouTube currently up on Theatre Royal Plymouth’s webpage where he talks about what an honour it is to work with Carlos because Carlos is his idol.

And really, most companies bring in guests from time to time - and shout them from the rooftops. BRB is no different in that respect.

• Like 6

I've really only watched the RB stuff so far.

Loved the rehearsal bit of Valentino Zucchetti's piece (that could well be the 'star' of the Diamond Celebration), and enjoyed the Chris Wheeldon too. The Pam Tanowitz piece looked quirky and different, and I enjoyed that as well. Loved seeing the corps going through Diamonds, and the children getting the Gary Avis experience for Nutcracker 🙂

Oh, and Kristen McNally ALWAYS worth seeing as a presenter; she and Alex Campbell made a fine team in my reckoning.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I’m quite sure that Vadim doesn’t think he is “doing them a favour” by performing with them. There is a lovely video with him on YouTube currently up on Theatre Royal Plymouth’s webpage where he talks about what an honour it is to work with Carlos because Carlos is his idol.

And really, most companies bring in guests from time to time - and shout them from the rooftops. BRB is no different in that respect.

I’m quite sure you are right about Muntagirov.  It’s the shouting from the rooftops I don’t like.  My view is coloured by remarks Acosta made in zoom talks during lockdown about the company he took over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I’m quite sure you are right about Muntagirov.  It’s the shouting from the rooftops I don’t like.  My view is coloured by remarks Acosta made in zoom talks during lockdown about the company he took over.

By your reasoning then the CTCB should never had "shouted to the housetops" - which they certainly did and rightly so - about Brandon Lawrence guesting

Whenever I have seen BRB I have always thought their technical level is every bit as good, if not better, than RB.  So I think that comment about guest artists from  Mr Acosta is a gross insult to the company he has taken over! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Loved the rehearsal bit of Valentino Zucchetti's piece (that could well be the 'star' of the Diamond Celebration), and enjoyed the Chris Wheeldon 

Agreed...I was particularly impressed with the  Wheeldon work for 4 gentlemen, probably aided by the fact that they were Ball, Hay, Sambe and Muntagirov.

• Like 9