1 hour ago, alison said:

I believe they did improve the rake in the stalls during the revamp - can anyone confirm?

I seem to remember that too, but the rake only starts a few rows back so the front few rows of the stalks are still bad if you have a tall person in front.  I find (on the occasions when I spurge on a stalls seat) that the best option is either the row behind the side stairwells (new after the revamp as previously there was a central aisle in the stalls) or an aisle seat further back where your view of the stage is “at an angle” across the aisle with no heads directly in front (if you see what I mean)

For opera, I love the sound in the front amphi but those tickets are very seldom returned at the last minute (I am not a forward planner) so we often end up in the balcony.

• Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, alison said:

Agree, totally.  I appreciate that prices have to go up in the current circumstances, but the prices they're charging for (some of?) the seats with significant viewing restrictions are ridiculous.  I realise that it's 6 years since Winter's Tale was last on, but even so, it's a shock to find that the seats are 3.5 - 4 times more expensive now than then :( 

I need to correct this: having gone back to the Winter's Tale seating plan, I see that the end-of-amphi-Row-H seats are now at a lower price than the other side-amphi restricted-view seats.  I'm sure they weren't when last I looked, but still ... make that "3.5 times", then.

• 2 months later...

I'm considering booking for Cinderella in December.  I've only been to the ROH a couple of times, both times in the stalls.  The first time I was front row centre, which was perfect.  But the second time, I was in row G and due to poor raking, had to swerve my head several times throughout the show as the person in front was very tall and kept fidgeting.  It really impacted my enjoyment of the show. 

The seats I am considering for Cinderella are front row (A27) or stalls circle (A100) to ensure I don't have anyone sat in front of me.  I also prefer to be as close to the stage as possible.  However, both of these seats are to the very end of the stage and I'm worried about the view.  Out of these two seats, which do you think would be the better option?  I'm worried I will miss some parts of the production being sat so far to one side of the stage but due to my inexperience of ROH seating I thought I'd ask here.  Appreciate any inputs!

Edited by solotheatregoer

1 hour ago, solotheatregoer said:

I'm considering booking for Cinderella in December.  I've only been to the ROH a couple of times, both times in the stalls.  The first time I was front row centre, which was perfect.  But the second time, I was in row G and due to poor raking, had to swerve my head several times throughout the show as the person in front was very tall and kept fidgeting.  It really impacted my enjoyment of the show. 

The seats I am considering for Cinderella are front row (A27) or stalls circle (A100) to ensure I don't have anyone sat in front of me.  I also prefer to be as close to the stage as possible.  However, both of these seats are to the very end of the stage and I'm worried about the view.  Out of these two seats, which do you think would be the better option?  I'm worried I will miss some parts of the production being sat so far to one side of the stage but due to my inexperience of ROH seating I thought I'd ask here.  Appreciate any inputs!

A problem for me with Cinderella last time is that I was front row side (A 7, A23)  and could not see Cinderella descending from her coach d/t the scrum of people on stage. I send a query to one of the stagers through IG at the time and he stated they knew about it but had limited ability to fix it.  They may do this time but I think you'll have less of an issue with SC A 100

Which performance are you considering? 

Edited by oncnp
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, oncnp said:

A problem for me with Cinderella last time is that I was front row side (A 7, A23)  and could not see Cinderella descending from her coach d/t the scrum of people on stage. I send a query to one of the stagers through IG at the time and he stated they knew about it but had limited ability to fix it.  They may do this time but I think you'll have less of an issue with SC A 100

Thanks, I’m planning on seeing a Bracewell / Kaneko performance so either 4th or 10th December. Ideally the 10th as there’s another show I’d like to see in London which opens on the 7th. 

I’ve never seen Cinderella before but looking at the clips on social media I can now see that the view would be blocked either side for the descent. 

I’ll be booking on Tuesday so will make a decision then. 

4 minutes ago, solotheatregoer said:

Thanks, I’m planning on seeing a Bracewell / Kaneko performance so either 4th or 10th December. Ideally the 10th as there’s another show I’d like to see in London which opens on the 7th. 

I’ve never seen Cinderella before but looking at the clips on social media I can now see that the view would be blocked either side for the descent. 

I’ll be booking on Tuesday so will make a decision then. 

Another thing to consider is both those performances are being filmed and even some of the stalls seats that are not marked restricted, actually are (as I've found to my cost), making the SC a safer bet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know there are people who highly value sitting in the stalls, either just so or specifically because they want to be close to the stage. However imho the best SC seats beat any stalls seats.

We can get into detail about what happens away from front row SC but A100 looks excellent though not central. However I have not sat there for years, am relying only on the ROH snapshot and can’t judge the impact of some of this production’s extraneous stage business on sightlines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Wasn't this fixed later in the run? (I thought the difficulty with putting it right had something to do with the then imminent live broadcast.)

I  prefer the stalls to stalls circle, personally, but only because I like to be nearer to the stage. However, too near is a challenge for me due to my height. I think you have to choose carefully. I am short, so a tall person in front of me may restrict my view considerably and result In me not enjoying the performance as much as I would like.  I would recommend G-K in the stalls, centrally, but I make sure my seat is offset to the seats in front (not all are and I now choose carefully). If not, and I want a slightly cheaper seat, I am very fond of V 13-17, personally - great views from all, if you don't mind being slightly further back.