Royal Ballet’s fundraiser for Ukraine- Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Osipova, Muntagirov in unique combined Swan Lake, 5 May

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-announces-special-fundraising-for-ukraine

On Thursday 5 May 2022, at 7.30pm, The Royal Ballet presents an additional and very special fundraising performance of Swan Lake. In a Company first, Principal dancers of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez and Natalia Osipova join forces to share the role of Odette/Odile across the four acts of this iconic repertory favourite. Tickets range from £10 to £200.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-announces-special-fundraising-for-ukraine

On Thursday 5 May 2022, at 7.30pm, The Royal Ballet presents an additional and very special fundraising performance of Swan Lake. In a Company first, Principal dancers of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez and Natalia Osipova join forces to share the role of Odette/Odile across the four acts of this iconic repertory favourite. Tickets range from £10 to £200.

Listed separately from SW https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/swan-lake-special-performance-for-ukraine-details

Tickets on sale now for Friends - Add 5 hours for GMT

Not yet on sale

General booking opens on 22 March 2022  remind me | join and support
Priority booking now open – sign in to view your options
View priority booking dates
General: 22 March 2022, 9am
Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Young Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Friends+: 22 March 2022, 7am
Supporting Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Premium 1 Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Premium 2 Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

Certainly worthy of support !

I wonder how four different Odette/Odiles will fit into the three acts they appear in?

I wonder if there will be multiple Siegfried's as well?

10 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I wonder how four different Odette/Odiles will fit into the three acts they appear in?

Disappointed they didn’t try five in one show!

51954110928_58fe16248b_c.jpg

• Like 10

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It says on the website that Muntagirov is Siegfried.

Thanks I don't see that listed. 

Although I am at work I did log in to check the prices - much as I would like to have gone I can’t justify spending that sort of money especially with council tax and energy prices going up next month.

I do hope they are able to sell out for such a worthwhile cause 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
19 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Oncnp I don’t nt know what time zone you are in but booking for public is at 1pm and not the 2pm you would be claiming at +5 hours 

sorry - we have gone to Daylight Savings but the UK hasn't yet so + 4

Edited by oncnp

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It says all sold out for me.

I don't think that can be right - general booking hasn't even opened yet:

General: 22 March 2022, 1pm

Friends: 22 March 2022, 11am

Young Friends: 22 March 2022, 11am

Friends+: 22 March 2022, 11am

Supporting Friends: 22 March 2022, 11am

Premium 1 Friends: 22 March 2022, 11am

Premium 2 Friends: 22 March 2022, 11am

Edited by bridiem

34 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I also wondered this, unless they count the prologue…which of course is ridiculous! 

I think the best way might be to split act 2 - I can’t see how any of the other acts can really be split?

14 minutes ago, MJW said:

Although I am at work I did log in to check the prices - much as I would like to have gone I can’t justify spending that sort of money especially with council tax and energy prices going up next month.

I do hope they are able to sell out for such a worthwhile cause 

surely not even more expensive than regular swan lake prices? 

I hope money raised for a good cause but I’m not sure how four Odettes/Odiles will work, surely for narrative purposes one is best. I guess if you maybe wanted to compare and contrast this might be a way of doing it but I think just one dancer would work better…narratively having Odile and Odette looks different wouldn’t work. 

A gala would have been better but appreciate time is a factor, which makes me all the more impressed that Alina and Ivan pulled theirs off! 

I know it doesn’t matter as the point is to raise money for Ukraine but I do wonder why the four dancer approach was taken!

Main thing is lots of money to be raised, I wonder if they will stream as well for donations? If not seems a missed opportunity. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JNC said:

I also wondered this, unless they count the prologue…which of course is ridiculous! 

I think the best way might be to split act 2 - I can’t see how any of the other acts can really be split?

surely not even more expensive than regular swan lake prices? 

I hope money raised for a good cause but I’m not sure how four Odettes/Odiles will work, surely for narrative purposes one is best. I guess if you maybe wanted to compare and contrast this might be a way of doing it but I think just one dancer would work better…narratively having Odile and Odette looks different wouldn’t work. 

A gala would have been better but appreciate time is a factor, which makes me all the more impressed that Alina and Ivan pulled theirs off! 

I know it doesn’t matter as the point is to raise money for Ukraine but I do wonder why the four dancer approach was taken!

Main thing is lots of money to be raised, I wonder if they will stream as well for donations? If not seems a missed opportunity. 

£200 max

• Like 1

This has just popped up in my emails from the opera House. The title says it all- basically Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova and Lauren Cuthbertson will share the roles of Odette and Odile over four acts, while Vadim dances Siegfried (currently it’s just him dancing the prince). I’ve seen “medley” performances like this at galas before (eg four Giselles and four Albrechts), but the implications of four women dancing the swan princess and her impersonator throws up all kinds of....well, you get the picture! It does sound great though, and it’s in aid of the DEC Ukraine Appeal, on 5 May, 7.30pm.

Booking opens to all at 1pm today! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

• Emeralds changed the title to Royal Ballet’s fundraiser for Ukraine- Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Osipova, Muntagirov in unique combined Swan Lake, 5 May

PS it will be Liam Scarlett’s production- the one currently being performed this month and in May. 

The Royal Ballet will also be streaming Flight Pattern, Crystal Pite’s multiple award winning creation for the company about the plight of refugees,  from 22 April 7.30pm to raise funds for the same DEC humanitarian  appeal. 

I did wonder if Flight Pattern might be brought back or performed in some way this month, given the topic. Very apt to screen it again.  (For those keen on opera, the Royal Opera are presenting a fundraiser recital- see the ROH website.) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oncnp said:

already being discussed on the Swan Lake thread....should these be merged? 

That’s a good idea, oncnp, I thought I would put it in news in case some people weren’t reading Swan Lake reviews if they’ve already been/not going. I haven’t actually even  got to the Swan Lake reviews thread yet, haha! 

(I’ll leave the moderators to decide. I have no idea how to merge threads or if members are supposed to do it at all. 😊)

Edited by Emeralds

8 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

That’s a good idea, oncnp, I thought I would put it in news in case some people weren’t reading Swan Lake reviews if they’ve already been/not going. I haven’t actually even  got to the Swan Lake reviews thread yet, haha! 

(I’ll leave the moderators to decide. I have no idea how to merge threads or if members are supposed to do it at all. 😊)

Ordinary members can't merge or move threads.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

That was my first thought. I think splitting the Black Swan Act might be fairest, otherwise one ballerina might just be portraying the vision of Odette and nothing else! I have seen some specials/galas where there was actually more than one performer in the role in each act though, eg so one ballerina could dance the White Swan adagio and coda, while another dances the solo, and likewise they could do it for the Black Swan pas de deux, with different ballerinas doing the adagio, solo and coda. But usually this was done with different partners too. 

It all sounds quirky, Freudian, confusing, hilarious and fun at the same time! 😆

I would love to caption the Queen’s possible reactions:

“For goodness sake, just stick to one mystery princess, not four!”  

“Next time I will just organise an arranged marriage for Siegfried  with the Hungarian princess and be done with it.”

”I really need to overhaul the palace’s security vetting procedures”.

🤣

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Oncnp I don’t nt know what time zone you are in but booking for public is at 1pm and not the 2pm you would be claiming at +5 hours 

I’ve just worked it out- are you posting from the US, oncnp, where the clocks have already gone forward? 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Listed separately from SW https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/swan-lake-special-performance-for-ukraine-details

Tickets on sale now for Friends - Add 5 hours for GMT

Not yet on sale

General booking opens on 22 March 2022  remind me | join and support
Priority booking now open – sign in to view your options
View priority booking dates
General: 22 March 2022, 9am
Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Young Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Friends+: 22 March 2022, 7am
Supporting Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Premium 1 Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am
Premium 2 Friends: 22 March 2022, 7am

Basically it should be add four hours only, as our clocks haven’t gone forward for spring yet- UK is later than the US. Our clocks go forward on the last weekend end of the month ie Sunday 27 March. 

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I’ve just worked it out- are you posting from the US, oncnp, where the clocks have already gone forward? 

Basically it should be add four hours only, as our clocks haven’t gone forward for spring yet- UK is later than the US. Our clocks go forward on the last weekend end of the month ie Sunday 27 March. 

As I noted above....