Flattering leotards

Confuddled

Can anyone recommend leotard brands which are flattering for a developing dancer, who is feeling self conscious about her bottom half, for those moments when she can’t wear a skirt. She’s slim but has more hip than the traditional ballet shape, so something that minimises that. I’m looking for brands with more coverage on the bottom, but not so low on the leg as to be really unflattering. Can anyone recommend either styles or brands? Nothing super expensive as she’s still growing, and probably in a small (dress size 8).

Hi, my daughter prefers to wear a pair of plain black hot pants over her black leotard for additional modesty when needed. They are thin fabric, tight fitting and similar fabric to her leotard so don't obstruct her lines in any way but just give a little more coverage when needed. It depends on the uniform requirements of the class but might be an option.

• Like 1

Thanks! I think the right brand of letoard is what she needs - hot pants wouldn’t be allowed, I suspect. All the previous threads seem to be looking at bust support, but this is a different issue, so I’ll have a look at the brands suggested.

I was thinking that maybe a leotard like Gaynor Minden cap sleeve would be nice. It's expensive, but you could look for similar style in cheaper model.

Medium coverage below but the style on the shoulder line would balance hips. A cap sleeve might work too, like the Just Ballet burgundy cap sleeve leotard. Something that draws the eye upwards and balances hipline. Again, very pricey, but the Bullet Point velvet trim would give a nice balance. A high neck and front zip would be good for a more mature dancer( Dansez) do a nice one) or a two tone like the Jule Luster where the bottom half is darker than the top. Personally, I would steer clear of thin, strappy leotards unless she loves them.

• Like 1

Freed does a stunning cap sleeve leotard, with adjustable pinch front. Very similar style  to the RBS upper school uniform leotard. I can’t remember the style number but if you ask in-store in their shop in St Martin’s Lane, they usually have it in stock. Last time I purchased, it was only about £27. Very simple but an amazing fit and flattering leg line (definitely not too high like Degas).

• Like 2

On 19/03/2022 at 22:49, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Freed does a stunning cap sleeve leotard, with adjustable pinch front. Very similar style  to the RBS upper school uniform leotard. I can’t remember the style number but if you ask in-store in their shop in St Martin’s Lane, they usually have it in stock. Last time I purchased, it was only about £27. Very simple but an amazing fit and flattering leg line (definitely not too high like Degas).

I think we’ve got that one (Maddie?), she had it for an exam. The bottom worked, but the ruched top slid down too far for her to feel comfortable when she bent backwards, no matter how we fiddled with it. Perhaps that one with the straps shortened would work. Thanks - I’d forgotten about it as she’s grown out of it.

Edited by Confuddled
Typo

On 19/03/2022 at 22:27, valentina said:

I was thinking that maybe a leotard like Gaynor Minden cap sleeve would be nice. It's expensive, but you could look for similar style in cheaper model.

Medium coverage below but the style on the shoulder line would balance hips. A cap sleeve might work too, like the Just Ballet burgundy cap sleeve leotard. Something that draws the eye upwards and balances hipline. Again, very pricey, but the Bullet Point velvet trim would give a nice balance. A high neck and front zip would be good for a more mature dancer( Dansez) do a nice one) or a two tone like the Jule Luster where the bottom half is darker than the top. Personally, I would steer clear of thin, strappy leotards unless she loves them.

She has always hated camisole style scrappy leotards, ever since her first uniform one. I’ll have a look at the ones you’ve suggested, as she always likes cap sleeves anyway. Nothing too mature, she’s only 13! When you say the Just Ballet leotard, any chance you could link it? I’ve had a look on their website but can just see the Freed and Ballet Rosa cap sleeves, which may be a bit low in the back for her, depending how they fit (her teacher doesn’t require a particular style, but she discourages anything too revealing). And burgundy is lovely on her, so that would be perfect.

On 17/03/2022 at 20:59, Confuddled said:

Can anyone recommend leotard brands which are flattering for a developing dancer, who is feeling self conscious about her bottom half, for those moments when she can’t wear a skirt. She’s slim but has more hip than the traditional ballet shape, so something that minimises that. I’m looking for brands with more coverage on the bottom, but not so low on the leg as to be really unflattering. Can anyone recommend either styles or brands? Nothing super expensive as she’s still growing, and probably in a small (dress size 8).

Have you looked at the RAD uniform ones?  They have some lovely colours and are flattering but have adequate cover.

Another Bloch and Mirella suggestion here - both worn by my DD (who sounds similarly shaped). Also, Dansez camisoles. Leg line at front nice and high but the way it is cut and stitched the back has good coverage.  I've sometimes needed to shorten the straps to get the bust gathers to sit in the right place.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

Bloch and Mirella were always a firm favourite with my daughter, and they have some beautiful cap sleeved leos this year: 

https://uk.blochworld.com/collections/adults-dancewear-leotards/short-sleeve?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlbzbv5DX9gIVzN_tCh2o1wfCEAAYASAAEgK9DfD_BwE

They are nice! It makes me wish that I was still dancing as well as the fact that I miss it a great deal. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OnlyDance said:

Another Bloch and Mirella suggestion here - both worn by my DD (who sounds similarly shaped). Also, Dansez camisoles. Leg line at front nice and high but the way it is cut and stitched the back has good coverage.  I've sometimes needed to shorten the straps to get the bust gathers to sit in the right place.    

Yes, if a camisole is ever a requirement, this is such a lovely leotard - it was the Central Preps/Pre-Senior uniform leotard so dd actually has it in 5 different colours, and black as she loved it so much. 

https://www.dancedirect.com/dancewear/leotards/black-leotards/dansd911-dans-ez-camisole-leotard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInP7cn6fX9gIVTOvtCh16IgkUEAQYAiABEgI9b_D_BwE