Help the Kiev City Ballet

I just received news that the Kiew City Ballet left Kiev in February 23rd for a 3 week tour of France.  The next day, they got the news about the war. Speaking of bad timing... I am so sorry. Now, they cannot go back, resp. company members cannot leave the Ukraine. Of course everybody just took small suitcases for the tour.

On the bottom of their homepage, they ask for help. Maybe you can make a donation. They are planning to support their artists with food, shelter, clothes, dancewear etc.

https://www.kievcityballet.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If anyone is in or near Twickenham the Prosperity Ukrainian cafe there is collecting aid items to take to Ukraine including first aid kits, toothbrushes and toothpaste, thermals, sanitary towels etc.  I dropped a load off this evening and they were very grateful.  

• Like 1

I have too. 

They should make their way to the UK if they can - lots of dates for ballet opened up recently all over the country and given where they are from I imagine they would find it well publicised and supported.

• Like 4

• Ian Macmillan changed the title to Help the Kiev City Ballet
1 hour ago, alison said:

I've been on the Dansomanie website quite a bit in the past few days, and haven't seen any mention of this.  Are they a very minor company, or something?

They are relatively a new company but has been touring Japan for a few years. The artistic director Ivan Kozlov was formerly of Kiev Ballet, Eifman Ballet and Mariinsky Ballet. While he was at Mariinsky he was a favorite partner of Uliana Lopatkina and they have appeared on the Hans van Manen Festival DVD.  One of the principals Mie Nagasawa is Japanese and a Vaganova graduate, petite but very delicate and lovely ballerina. Also a former Mariinsky soloist Oksana Bondareva dances here, she is a strong technician with great stage presence. I have seen this company and they are not bad at all, although Kyiv Ballet is far superior. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It seems another Ukrainian Ballet troupe Kyiv Grand Ballet was touring France, and the have just finished their tour and will fly to Poland to perform. After Poland. their future seems uncertain, they cannot return to Ukraine.

https://www.euronews.com/culture/amp/2022/03/03/ukraine-s-kyiv-grand-ballet-give-emotional-final-performance-of-their-french-swan-lake-tou 

• Thanks 1

Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris has offered residency for Kiev City Ballet. They can rehearse at the Theatre du Chatelet. 

https://www.bfmtv.com/international/en-direct-guerre-en-ukraine-un-million-de-refugies-ont-fui-le-pays-en-une-semaine_LN-202203030008.html

The Kiev City Ballet, which was on tour in France, will be hosted in residence at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the mayor of the city Anne Hidalgo announced on Thursday.

"Currently in Paris, the Kiev City Ballet has expressed its wish to stay in France for the moment in order to continue working, rehearsing and bringing their art to life," tweeted Ms. Hidalgo.

"At my request, the Théâtre du Châtelet will welcome them in residence, as long as the ballet wishes", added the mayor, who is also a candidate for the presidential election.
 This Ukrainian company was on tour in France with performances of "The Nutcracker" by Tchaikovsky.  Another company from the Ukrainian capital, the Grand Ballet de Kiev, which gave a performance near Arcachon on Wednesday evening, was to leave for a ten-date tour in Poland organized in support

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris has offered residency for Kiev City Ballet. They can rehearse at the Theatre du Chatelet. 

https://www.bfmtv.com/international/en-direct-guerre-en-ukraine-un-million-de-refugies-ont-fui-le-pays-en-une-semaine_LN-202203030008.html

The Kiev City Ballet, which was on tour in France, will be hosted in residence at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the mayor of the city Anne Hidalgo announced on Thursday.

"Currently in Paris, the Kiev City Ballet has expressed its wish to stay in France for the moment in order to continue working, rehearsing and bringing their art to life," tweeted Ms. Hidalgo.

"At my request, the Théâtre du Châtelet will welcome them in residence, as long as the ballet wishes", added the mayor, who is also a candidate for the presidential election.
 This Ukrainian company was on tour in France with performances of "The Nutcracker" by Tchaikovsky.  Another company from the Ukrainian capital, the Grand Ballet de Kiev, which gave a performance near Arcachon on Wednesday evening, was to leave for a ten-date tour in Poland organized in support

A generous gesture.  Other countries please take note.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Well that's cheered me up on a gloomy day when the news is otherwise depressing.  

I'm delighted that they're safe and have a place to be. 

• Like 7

On 04/03/2022 at 00:41, Naomi M said:

Well done Mayor Hidalgo! The Châtelet is a theatre with a great history. Wishing both companies all the very best.