English National Ballet - change of leadership discussion

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This thread has been quiet for a while…. I wonder if they are getting closer to appointing/announcing Rook’s successor? 

I too thought the announcement of the successor had been made when I saw this thread move up. But I’m curious as to why Tamara Rojo now has a nickname/alias of Rook- a chess metaphor? A literary reference? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I too thought the announcement of the successor had been made when I saw this thread move up. But I’m curious as to why Tamara Rojo now has a nickname/alias of Rook- a chess metaphor? A literary reference? 

I was thinking the same when I first read it! 😅 But then I recalled the vicinity between j and k on the keyboard and guessed that it’s probably just the poster’s phone being overzealous at spelling correction.
Always fun to spot those missteps by AIs; good anecdotes for the Resistance Force Newsletter when computers take over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 12:55, fromthebalcony said:

Some of those dancers are nearing the end of their careers ... Yuan Yuan Tan, Sarah Van Patten, Tiit Helimets and most likely Luke Ingham. And then there are a few who have entered the 35-40 year old age range - Frances Chung, Misa Kuranaga, and I believe Ulrik Birkkjaer. I wonder about Aaron Robison and Madison Keesler who left ENB. Will they stay on? 

Longtime lurker . . . first time poster

Sarah Van Patten and Ulrik Birkkjaer have both announced that they will be moving on after this season. So. Rojo will already have opportunities to start shaping the roster in 2022-23.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, miliosr said:

Longtime lurker . . . first time poster

Sarah Van Patten and Ulrik Birkkjaer have both announced that they will be moving on after this season. So. Rojo will already have opportunities to start shaping the roster in 2022-23.

Hello Miliosr and welcome to the Forum!

Is Birkkjaer retiring or moving elsewhere?  I was fortunate to see him a few times with RDB before he moved to San Francisco.

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Is Birkkjaer retiring or moving elsewhere?

It's not clear from his Instagram post announcing his departure from San Francisco Ballet (SFB) after this season what his exact plans are. He just wrote, "[I]t's time for new adventures."

The roster for 2022-23 should be locked in soon in terms of contracts so we'll see if there will be more turnover. My guess would be that this time next year will be more important in terms of who stays and who goes. I think some of it will depend on how much flexibility the SFB board has granted Rojo to "refresh" the roster. The company has had some bad publicity in recent months and I don't know that the board wants a Philadelphia Ballet-style bloodbath on its hands.

Has there been an announcement yet of Kevin McKenzie’s successor at ABT.  It was announced he is retiring at the end of the 2022 season.  But that announcement was over a year ago, in March 2021.  

Or have I missed it?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Has there been an announcement yet of Kevin McKenzie’s successor at ABT.  It was announced he is retiring at the end of the 2022 season.  But that announcement was over a year ago, in March 2021.  

Or have I missed it?  

He recently had his ‘send off’ from the Kennedy Centre at the ABT’s last performance there this season. So he’s definitely leaving…….

• Like 1

Oh, I thought (again) we had an announcement about Rojo’s successor.

I’m going to bet a few more candidates:

1) Johan Kobborg and Alina Cojocaru (rather like Kent Stowell and Francia Russell working together to lead Pacific Northwest Ballet for years)

2) Viviana Durante 

I haven’t seen an announcement about ABT either- both companies keeping audiences (and artists?) guessing! 

• Like 3

Is there a list somewhere of companies that need a new director? Because there seem to be many high-profile, well-paid jobs at the moment...

- ENB

- ABT

- Bavarian State Ballet

- Hamburg Ballet (22/23 is Neumeier's last season)

... and I'm sure I missed something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Oh, I thought (again) we had an announcement about Rojo’s successor.

I’m going to bet a few more candidates:

1) Johan Kobborg and Alina Cojocaru (rather like Kent Stowell and Francia Russell working together to lead Pacific Northwest Ballet for years)

2) Viviana Durante 

I haven’t seen an announcement about ABT either- both companies keeping audiences (and artists?) guessing! 

I’d be happy with Viviana Durante. She has done some interesting things. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angela said:

Is there a list somewhere of companies that need a new director? Because there seem to be many high-profile, well-paid jobs at the moment...

- ENB

- ABT

- Bavarian State Ballet

I’m sure applications are being sent and various conversations and discussions going on. 😊 Can’t think of any other companies offhand- National Ballet of Canada’s new AD is Hope Muir (former ENB dancer and ENB School graduate, funnily enough) and she started in January. It will certainly be the end of a significant era for ABT & Hamburg Ballet. 

It's a pipe dream of course, --- but after seeing the glorious Forsythe Evening a few times (with a few still to come happily) ... I thought wouldn't it be fantastic to have William Forsythe as head of this fine Company - the one that Rojo has so carefully constructed.  One remembers that he was to have headed up the POB Choreographic Incentive which sadly got axed with Millepied.  I know it won't happen ... but still one can dream of what it might have been like.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

It's a pipe dream of course, --- but after seeing the glorious Forsythe Evening a few times (with a few still to come happily) ... I thought wouldn't it be fantastic to have William Forsythe as head of this fine Company - the one that Rojo has so carefully constructed.  One remembers that he was to have headed up the POB Choreographic Incentive which sadly got axed with Millepied.  I know it won't happen ... but still one can dream of what it might have been like.  

It would be wonderful but he is turned 70…

• Jan McNulty changed the title to English National Ballet - change of leadership discussion
13 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Billy Forsythe is lovely and one who does look after his dancers, but I think being director of a classical company would box him in too much, and I don’t think even 20 years ago would have been a good fit - I’m sure it has been offered to him by other classical companies. ENB was constructed by Markova, Dolin, Grey, Field, Eagling, et al with Rojo being the latest to add her contribution, and ENB is still for many cities and regions in the U.K., the only chance for the community to see a Nutcracker, Giselle, Coppelia, Romeo and Juliet, or Swan Lake, etc. What would be nice to see is if he could be appointed as resident choreographer or associate choreographer with a company-if that’s what he would like. Or a small scale company to run- although dealing with finances in the past has proved challenging for him. He actually did more innovative work in the past with the Paris Opera, Royal Ballet, New York City Ballet and his own Ballet Frankfurt and Forsythe Dance Company, so it’s interesting to see that he has picked a more retro style in the last 6 years. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 18:28, Angela said:

- ENB

- ABT

- Bavarian State Ballet

ENB: Cojocaru, Acosta, Klimentova

ABT: Kent, Hallberg, Stiefel, Bocca, Ananiashvili, Ferri. Longer shots: Vishneva, Gomes. But the best scenario would be to have Misty Copeland as dancer-director.

Bavarian: Malakhov, Goecke

Hamburg: Riggins

Forsythe does a lot of work with Boston Ballet. I know he had a five year contract with them, which started back in 2016, I believe. I don’t know if that contract was renewed. Boston is getting ready to perform Blake Works III. His home is in Vermont, so I believe what he is doing, setting his works on different companies, suits him well. 

In terms of leadership for ABT - I could see Kent and her husband, Victor Barbee, directing. He was McKenzie’s right hand man. But Victor is in his late 60’s. Julie is still young at 52. I think Hallberg would be great, but not sure how long his contract with Australian Ballet is. Some have thrown Stella Abrera’s name around, and perhaps she and her husband, Sascha Radetsky could co-direct. Stella has been overseeing the Kaatsbaan program. Sascha has directed the Studio company, as well as the ABT/NYU Master’s in Ballet Pedagogy Program. They would both be willing to carry on McKenzie’s legacy. 

Speculating about who will finally take over at ENB and ABT is great fun . I don't pretend to know enough about ABT to speculate who might be in the running there. As far as ENB is concerned ticket sales suggest that the company only provides limited opportunities for innovative  programming on tour. I wonder whether  Kobborg would be interested in taking over at ENB? He would certainly be an interesting choice and he might like the idea of being in direct competition for London audiences with the organisation in Bow Street. Ferri might be interested in ENB as might Durante but as Durante has only recently taken over at the school I can not see her being regarded as a serious contender. Here is a wild card candidate Laurent Hilaire who has recently resigned from his post at the Stanislavsky perhaps he might be interested ?

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

ENB is still for many cities and regions in the U.K., the only chance for the community to see a Nutcracker, Giselle, Coppelia, Romeo and Juliet, or Swan Lake, etc. 

I'm sorry Emeralds I laughed out loud at this.  ENB tour to Liverpool, Manchester, Southampton and (occasionally) Bristol.  That is hardly many cities and regions.  Additionally they only now tour the UK in the Autumn.

I'm not quite sure when ACE carved up the country but ENB, BRB and NB have their own regions apart, for some reason, from Southampton where they all go.

BRB tours to Sunderland, Salford, Plymouth, Southampton (and they have been to Plymouth in the recent past.

NB tours to Sheffield, (occasionally) Hull, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Salford, Norwich, Southampton, Milton Keynes, Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham, Woking.

Obviously they all also have dates in London.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Does NB still go to Canterbury?  My niece used to see them all the time when she was a student there.

It looks as though they are not going there this year although I did see them there in 2019.  Hopefully they will go back because I had a splendid weekend there.

• Like 1