What to Wear to Adult Beginners Class

Angela Essex

That’s great news Angela and yes ballet sizes are a bit of a joke on the whole. I believe size 14 is considered Extra Large in the ballet world!! 
What I like about Capezio is they do offer a range of different length skirts and wraps in different colours which is nice for us slightly older ladies!! 
Their tights are generally a bit softer than Blochs 😳 ...but Blochs do last for years! 

I must admit I was pretty clueless as what to wear when I first started but started in shorts or leggings which I still wear, I sometimes use dancewear central website.

Also try and start with good ballet shoes as I never knew any better and tried it with the wrong shoes and ended up having to take them off as couldn't do some of the movements.

By the time I realised I needed other shoes I had got used to dancing barefooted and found it hard to get used to new ones so still go barefoot. 

The main thing is to enjoy it as I did feel nervous to start with but love it now.😃

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Update: I went to Capezio and Bloch in Covent Garden today and the staff were so lovely in both stores and even gave me 10% discount for NHS staff. I have to say the service in Capezio was amazing though. Also they have a bargain/sale section in the basement with Leos starting from £5. I now have 4 leotards as am planning to try them on at home and return 2 or 3. I think my favourite is a Bloch Mirella black camisole one with peacock lace trim at the front, sadly it was also the most expensive 😭. Also have a black sheer wrap skirt and some Capezio super soft tights. Job done. I won’t lie I was pretty shocked to find I was a size Large to Extra Large though 😂 Thanks everyone for your help.

I love the staff at Capezio, especially Diva! It's just annoying that their leos are not cut for me at all (on weird sizing, a Capezio L is far too wide, but M won't stretch enough lengthways as they usually cut their straps and armholes very tight... and I'm usually an XS or S in other brands...!)

Fortunately, my partner has a secret side job working for Father Christmas, so I was able to skip the middleman and order 6 (😁) new leotards from Wear Moi on the North Pole Inc. corporate account - even luckier, almost all the designs I wanted were on massive sale in my size 😁

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NJH said:

dancewear  sizes are their own  unique world of evil !   

I know right ??😂😭 Since when is a size 10 considered large? - surely that should be against human rights 😂😂 

After I told the lady in Capezio my dress size she must’ve clocked my indignation at being given a large Leo to try on and sympathetically said ‘you see, you’ve got quite a long body’ bless her 😂. Anyway at least I know my size is large in Bloch and Capezio Leo’s now and L/XL in tights so I don’t have to suffer the indignity of being publicly sized up again 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

I love the staff at Capezio, especially Diva! It's just annoying that their leos are not cut for me at all (on weird sizing, a Capezio L is far too wide, but M won't stretch enough lengthways as they usually cut their straps and armholes very tight... and I'm usually an XS or S in other brands...!)

Fortunately, my partner has a secret side job working for Father Christmas, so I was able to skip the middleman and order 6 (😁) new leotards from Wear Moi on the North Pole Inc. corporate account - even luckier, almost all the designs I wanted were on massive sale in my size 😁

Oooh 6 new Leo’s I’m so jel. Which ones did you get? Major bonus points to your partner for that 🙌

5 hours ago, aisha said:

I must admit I was pretty clueless as what to wear when I first started but started in shorts or leggings which I still wear, I sometimes use dancewear central website.

Also try and start with good ballet shoes as I never knew any better and tried it with the wrong shoes and ended up having to take them off as couldn't do some of the movements.

By the time I realised I needed other shoes I had got used to dancing barefooted and found it hard to get used to new ones so still go barefoot. 

The main thing is to enjoy it as I did feel nervous to start with but love it now.😃

Yes same here - I started in size 41 shoes and after a couple classes realised I couldn’t straighten my big toe in them so promptly went to a dance shop and got my feet properly sized up - turns out I’m a 44 in so danca shoes as my feet are wide with high arches/ instep. I’m usually a 40/41 in normal shoes so I was pretty shocked to be given a 44 but they’re super comfy 🤷‍♀️

8 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Oooh 6 new Leo’s I’m so jel. Which ones did you get? Major bonus points to your partner for that 🙌

Santa's budget was under £150 but I managed to get a Vicky (halterneck), Bluebelle (tank, skirted), Olga ( cami, skirted), Majeste (tank), and possibly my new favourite, Zira (tank, skirted) as well as a new pair of Grishko pointes and some extras. I love how he manages to make being lazy with special occasions into something more meaningful haha.

I so sympathise with sizing! I'm a UK size 4-6 but tall, and also have a longer torso than average for my height. On one brand's size chart, I found myself an XXS on horizontal measurements, and an L/XL in girth... how on earth do you read that?! I now stick to Grishko and Wear Moi leos because I know they use a good 4-way stretch. 

• Like 3

On 29/12/2021 at 22:33, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Santa's budget was under £150 but I managed to get a Vicky (halterneck), Bluebelle (tank, skirted), Olga ( cami, skirted), Majeste (tank), and possibly my new favourite, Zira (tank, skirted) as well as a new pair of Grishko pointes and some extras. I love how he manages to make being lazy with special occasions into something more meaningful haha.

I so sympathise with sizing! I'm a UK size 4-6 but tall, and also have a longer torso than average for my height. On one brand's size chart, I found myself an XXS on horizontal measurements, and an L/XL in girth... how on earth do you read that?! I now stick to Grishko and Wear Moi leos because I know they use a good 4-way stretch. 

Oooh skirted leotards - that is genius - I didn’t know there was such a thing.