ENB Casting - Nutcracker 2021 and Raymonda

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Just received the email about the cancellation of 18/1 performance☹️ Looks like we have to wait up to three days for the credit note to be able to book an alternative so that'll be something to do on Christmas Day

Commiserations to RobS and all those who have to wait! I think it’s also pretty bad that both the Coliseum and ENB still haven’t mentioned the cancelled shows of 18, 19 and (matinees  of) 14 and 20 Jan on their web pages. With IT being more sophisticated and accessible remotely (obviously) nowadays, it shouldn’t take ages after the theatre was informed to type a line or two in. 

I just managed to speak (after being on hold for a long time) to a sweet and helpful box office staff member who got my ENB changes done but there is a lot of online sales activity going on now perhaps due to people now opening their emails about the cancelled shows.

I’m guessing the cancellations were to prioritise performances that had sold best while reducing chances cast, orchestra and backstage staff becoming injured or infected with Covid by having more days of rest, with less shuffling and substituting to do also. 

Edited by Emeralds

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I've just had my tickets for the matinee on Friday 14 January refunded, without explanation. I don't think that was one of the cancelled dates. Makes me wonder about cancelling the other dates that weekend, not least as LNER has already cancelled my train back North on the Sunday.

I think the matinee of 14th has probably  been cancelled as well, Sheila- the website has erased it from their ticket sales, although sold out shows are still there showing as “sold out”.

2 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Commiserations to RobS and all those who have to wait! I think it’s also pretty bad that both the Coliseum and ENB still haven’t mentioned the cancelled shows of 18, 19 and (matinees  of) 14 and 20 Jan on their web pages.

???

The cancelled shows are not listed in the performance dates nor are they available to book.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It's a pity they've cancelled the mid-week performances as I was eyeing those, subject to casting, as the trains home would be quieter.

Yes, it's a shame.  When it was announced that new rail timetables would be operating as from mid-December, I hoped I'd finally get the other 50% of my services back, but no :(.  Consequently, I'm still reluctant to book anything on Fridays and Saturdays because of possible overcrowding on my trains.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Commiserations to RobS and all those who have to wait! I think it’s also pretty bad that both the Coliseum and ENB still haven’t mentioned the cancelled shows of 18, 19 and (matinees  of) 14 and 20 Jan on their web pages. With IT being more sophisticated and accessible remotely (obviously) nowadays, it shouldn’t take ages after the theatre was informed to type a line or two in. 

I'm not waiting, I've rebooked and will get a refund for the cancelled show later. Obviously not all may be in a position to but that's no different to the ROH

It's true that, unlike the ROH's approach, they are not currently acknowledging that there were other shows that are now cancelled. What you don't know about won't affect you and if it does affect you you've found out by another method

Mmm! Firstly, the afternoon of the 14th looked to be an ‘ordinary’ show; then, in the Press Release, it became a ‘relaxed’ performance; now it is being called a Schools Matinee. 
I have been to several ENB Schools Matinees in the past and they have been great (especially one where Zhanat Atymtayev, now of the RBS, played Albrecht) but, in the context of COVID, the switch changes things rather.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Maybe, but it wasn't when I bought the ticket on 24 September, and a second ticket a few days later.

Same here, Sheila, and like you, I've already booked trains (the return portion on the Sunday of which has been cancelled) and hotel for a weekend which includes 4 Raymondas, R&J at ROH, and Belle Sauvage at The Bridge. I'm beginning to think it's all doomed but it's not easy to work out which commitments I would be able to get my money back for if I chose to cancel the weekend as opposed to if regulations forced it - so at the moment it feels like I need to plod on and keep changing my plans to keep up with the latest developments.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

I've just booked for the 20th and 21st, I nearly booked Saturday 15th which would have been better but checked the trains (replaced by buses) and got the Friday instead!

I already had the opening night booked and yes, Isaac Hernandez is dancing, I am very pleased he is, Shiori Kase too!

Whether I go in January of course remains to be seen 🙂

• Like 3

Casting update on ENB's Twitter: In this evening's performance of Nutcracker, Erina Takahashi replaces Fernanda Oliveira as Clara. Joseph Caley replaces Francesco Gabriele Frola as Nephew.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've now got 2 further credit notes- but with absolutely no indication of what they are for!

Their box office is having problems at the moment. A few days ago they sent me tickets for My Fair Lady (not my scene, I prefer Shaw) in May! They couldn't understand why I got in touch to let them know!

• Like 2

Beryl I think we may use the same train lines so if the 15th is affected no doubt the Sunday 16th will be as well! Was thinking of that matinee .....but think will go for Friday 21st now instead. 

Im assuming it’s the bus to and from from Three Bridges job? 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Beryl I think we may use the same train lines so if the 15th is affected no doubt the Sunday 16th will be as well! Was thinking of that matinee .....but think will go for Friday 21st now instead. 

Im assuming it’s the bus to and from from Three Bridges job? 

I didn't look into it too deeply, I just saw at some point the late evening trains would be replaced by buses on the Saturday, that rung an alarm bell.

There's an even worse problem looming, from Saturday 19th - Sunday 27 February inclusive, there are no main line trains from Brighton to Three Bridges, 

I believe you can go via Lewes or Littlehampton!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I booked using the From The Box Office offer but hit the infutiating you-can't-leave-a-single-seat issue. I had to go to the Coliseum's website & put the seat I didn't want out of the pair into my basket there so the From The Box Office website would let me book the seat out of the pair that I did want, before then releasing the other seat.

That is a great trick, thank you!

• Like 3

Lewes trains use the same line from Wivelsfield onwards! 
That Littlehampton route takes forever but presumably will run buses to Three Bridges which is quicker in the end though I hate that traipse across the car park at Three Bridges in the dark when on way home wondering whether there’s room on the buses waiting or not ☹️
Once had to wait 50 mins for a bus to turn up though usually it’s not that bad. 
Good job I’ve nothing booked in London in February then!! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I booked using the From The Box Office offer but hit the infutiating you-can't-leave-a-single-seat issue. I had to go to the Coliseum's website & put the seat I didn't want out of the pair into my basket there so the From The Box Office website would let me book the seat out of the pair that I did want, before then releasing the other seat. The extra difficulties that are so often put in the way of single theatregoing are so annoying.

25 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

That is a great trick, thank you!

Yes, very clever, Dawnstar. I've been faced with that problem in the past but thought that the spare ticket would have to have been booked to free up the remaining two. One to remember!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

???

The cancelled shows are not listed in the performance dates nor are they available to book.

Your info is a bit slow, bangorballetboy- have a look at what others have experienced after booking shows on the 18th or 19th, or the 14th and 20th matinees. Those shows were on the Coliseum booking site 4 weeks ago but have now been deleted.

The ENB website is saying 14th is a Relaxed Performance (ie viewers with disabilities or neurological conditions where it’s impossible to keep very quiet or still for an entire act, or those with very young children/toddlers who may be noisy, are still welcome because it is being attended only by these viewers with their carers or families) which isn’t the same as a schools’ matinee.

The general public can always  book schools’ matinees by ENB (there is one for Nutcracker still available for all to book) if seats aren’t sold out, but the same isn’t the case for Royal Ballet, because the Royal Ballet ones are paid for by a sponsor to be a community event. ENB will always put a message to remind viewers who book schools’ matinees to expect school groups there as some audience members don’t like school groups at their show while others are fine with it. 

In any case, that show on the 14th has also been deleted by the Coliseum, so either it’s not happening at all, or it’s been closed to any new audience members booking- meaning any more families of viewers needing a relaxed performance will have to ring to ask if it’s still happening or available.

As I said earlier, a clear and apologetic two sentence communication on both company website and Coliseum page announcing performance cancellations (such as what the Royal Ballet and Royal Opera have) would have got rid of the confusion you experienced, elicited sympathy and support, as well as saved time for audiences who had unexpectedly found mysteriously refunded or cancelled tickets on their email. 

Edited by Emeralds

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I think the matinee of 14th has probably  been cancelled as well, Sheila- the website has erased it from their ticket sales, although sold out shows are still there showing as “sold out”.

Just to say that since posting the above, I’m pleased to report that all ENB’s Nutcrackers currently have at least a ticket or two or more for each show for those who might be very keen to watch a performance of Nutcracker live in London between tomorrow to 4 January (the dates when the Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet would have had Nutcrackers at the Royal Opera House and Royal Albert Hall respectively but are now cancelled for those dates.) So no ENB show is - currently, I stress - completely sold out.

(NB RB is still scheduled to resume shows from 5 Jan onwards). And seeing as tickets for Raymonda are now gradually being bought while some Nutcracker tickets have either been returned or released, that’s a positive thing for both ENB & audiences.

Fingers crossed for the remainder of the rest of ENB’s Nutcrackers  and Raymondas! I actually went ahead and bought an extra ticket for Raymonda. Whatever happens, happens. And hopefully if or when restrictions happen, some of the shows won’t be affected.  I’ve waited over 20 years for some full length version of Raymonda to come back, so I’m just going to support it, whichever dancers are available to perform! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Yes, very clever, Dawnstar. I've been faced with that problem in the past but thought that the spare ticket would have to have been booked to free up the remaining two. One to remember!

Sometimes it does have to be bought but sometimes just putting it in a basket works, depending on different websites/companies, so it's worth a try.

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Your info is a bit slow, bangorballetboy- have a look at what others have experienced after booking shows on the 18th or 19th, or the 14th and 20th matinees. Those shows were on the Coliseum booking site 4 weeks ago but have now been deleted.

Very pass-remarkable you are. You said there was nothing on the ENB website to signify the shows were cancelled. I said the cancelled shows were no longer in the performance dates and not capable of booking. Both true at the time I wrote my post. 

Those who had already booked a show that has since been cancelled have received an email to tell them. Those who might want to book a show that has been cancelled cannot do so. Where is the problem?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

Casting update on ENB's Twitter: In this evening's performance of Nutcracker, Erina Takahashi replaces Fernanda Oliveira as Clara. Joseph Caley replaces Francesco Gabriele Frola as Nephew.

The word 'ninepins' comes to mind.  It must be enervating for the company (and of course, all the other companies).

I think what is curious here is that the cancellation of the matinee on 14 Jan doesn't appear to be due to Covid - so I think Sheila might have expected a fuller explanation from the Coliseum or ENB as to why it had changed purpose, from public to relaxed to schools performance, at such short notice when she and others had already made plans in good faith to attend. 

Secondly, it's worth pointing out that I have also booked for that performance and haven't yet been contacted. 

24 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Very pass-remarkable you are. You said there was nothing on the ENB website to signify the shows were cancelled. I said the cancelled shows were no longer in the performance dates and not capable of booking. Both true at the time I wrote my post. 

Those who had already booked a show that has since been cancelled have received an email to tell them. Those who might want to book a show that has been cancelled cannot do so. Where is the problem?

But I HAVEN'T had an email to tell me or explain to me, just a series of vouchers from the ENO Boxoffice without a word of explanation. I have emailed ENB to complain that they still are advertising the performance in the listing details and have not contacted me in any way. I earlier emailed the box office to inquire what was happening, why I'd been sent vouchers with no information.

I do feel some sympathy for both the box-office staff and ENB, it must be terrible for them, but they should still follow process, especially if they want our continued support.

• Like 3

I think the ENB have been very good in their Friends email because all the changes were explained fully there. 

But don’t know what happens if you just go on their website ....perhaps they’ve just removed the performances without explaining why. 
For example I was planning either the 18th or the 19th and perhaps a matinee but was waiting for casting etc. 
Now if I hadn’t been a Friend I might have been a bit puzzled as to why I could no longer book the 18th or 19th etc .....if people are saying they didn’t actually mention why these were cancelled but just removed the booking opportunity!! 
A friend of mine ( not a Friend) had booked the last matinee so last performance as one of her shows and had no idea earlier this evening that it is now a relaxed performance! 
I’m still remaining cautious though so until we know what’s happening regards any potential lockdowns or possible theatre closures ( The Welsh Millenium has closed completely until Jan 15th!) 

I’m not booking anything but trying to remain hopeful that all will end well and will finally get to see Raymonda and not worry just at this point in time anyway too much about casting.

I am a friend, so did get the email, but one of the performances I had booked was cancelled, despite not being included in the email, so all the changes were not included, LinMM.

It is usual for theatres to send an email for each performance cancelled, not a long all-encompassing email with dates buried in the text, and above all, not giving a comprehensive list.

The cancellation of a matinee causes logistical problems for those of us who live a very long way from London.

• Like 4

Yes perhaps they should have waited until

everything had been completely finalised before sending out the email. 
One or maybe two days would not have made much difference at this stage so that all the new correct information could be there and people not get so confused. 

• Like 2

I feel for you. I'd like to think they always try "best effort" but with all the uncertainties and changing rules by the hour, it's not easy. I'm a Friend of Staatsballett Berlin and just yesterday got an email about how they tried several times last week to inform us about upcoming performances and cast changes, even prepared letters to be mailed, then changed info again and again, then cancelled everything 2 hours before performance yesterday and sent emails. So, you are not alone in this hassle.❤

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I didn’t want to create a whole new one!

I booked to see Raymonda in January via TodayTix and just received notification my ticket has been cancelled. 

As far as I can see the production is still scheduled and you can buy tickets via the Coliseum directly (and also on TodayTix confusingly). 

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else - I’m very confused as by all accounts the performance is still happening (and as an aside quite annoyed at TodayTix as they have only provided a credit voucher rather than a refund, I think if they are the ones that cancel it I’m entitled to a refund, unlike if I had decided not to go?). 

Whilst I’d love for the performances to go ahead with covid I was wondering if this might happen sadly. 

The same thing has just happened to me - for the Friday matinee which I had already heard through this forum had become a schools' matinee. I've emailed to request a refund as a opposed to a credit note. 

Which performance had you booked?