In celebration of Osipova?

I found the full article without paywall here.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/star-ballerina-natalia-osipova-the-russian-critics-said-i-looked-like-quasimodo/ar-BB1oaP7V

I do have to call out two inaccuracies.  The article quotes Natalia as saying she met Jason first in 2018.  

Has she forgotten she danced with him in QUTB (a trio by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui) which premiered in June 2016 at Sadler’s Wells, and toured internationally in a triple bill with Maliphant’s SILENT ECHO and Arthur Pita’s RUN, MARY, RUN, both with Sergei Polunin. 

Osipova and Polunin split in 2018, not two years before. (As the article states).   In 2017 they danced together in Munich, Italy and Russia, and were due to dance in M&A at ROH when things went awry between them.  In 2018 she was still touring with Sergei in his projects.  

Osipova and Polunin were together from 2015 to 2018.  There are many performances and photos of them together online. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, FionaM said:

I found the full article without paywall here.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/star-ballerina-natalia-osipova-the-russian-critics-said-i-looked-like-quasimodo/ar-BB1oaP7V

I do have to call out two inaccuracies.  The article quotes Natalia as saying she met Jason first in 2018.  

Has she forgotten she danced with him in QUTB (a trio by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui) which premiered in June 2016 at Sadler’s Wells, and toured internationally in a triple bill with Maliphant’s SILENT ECHO and Arthur Pita’s RUN, MARY, RUN, both with Sergei Polunin. 

Osipova and Polunin split in 2018, not two years before. (As the article states).   In 2017 they danced together in Munich, Italy and Russia, and were due to dance in M&A at ROH when things went awry between them.  In 2018 she was still touring with Sergei in his projects.  

Osipova and Polunin were together from 2015 to 2018.  There are many performances and photos of them together online. 

Yes, she did dance with Kittelberger in 2016. Perhaps she doesn't literally mean 'met' in 2018 but 'got together'...

I've read other interviews in which it's stated that she split from Polunin in 2016, so that seems to be what she says. The fact that they danced together until 2018 isn't necessarily relevant, and anyway who knows what's really happening between two people at any given time... other than the people themselves.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, bridiem said:

Yes, she did dance with Kittelberger in 2016. Perhaps she doesn't literally mean 'met' in 2018 but 'got together'...

I've read other interviews in which it's stated that she split from Polunin in 2016, so that seems to be what she says. The fact that they danced together until 2018 isn't necessarily relevant, and anyway who knows what's really happening between two people at any given time... other than the people themselves.

Hmm.  There are plenty of reviews/interviews in 2017 and early 2018 that describe them as an offstage couple.  Here’s one from December 2017 Guardian

It’s only recent interviews (post pandemic) where Osipova has misstated the dates or she has been misquoted.  

46 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Hmm.  There are plenty of reviews/interviews in 2017 and early 2018 that describe them as an offstage couple.  Here’s one from December 2017 Guardian

But that may simply have been an assumption on the part of the writer (in the absence of an announcement from those involved).

• Like 2

Just now, bridiem said:

But that may simply have been an assumption on the part of the writer (in the absence of an announcement from those involved).

True.  

I know it would have been impossible for Sergei to dance with Natalia once their offstage relationship had ended.  Their last onstage performance was in Cranko’s Taming of the Shrew in Munich on 16 April 2018.

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2024 at 15:05, art_enthusiast said:

At the ending of Act 2 where she transforms back into a swan/gets taken over again by Rothbart, I had no doubt that I was watching an actual swan reappear.

Agree!!! It was uncanny and beautiful 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I saw her perform an excerpt of Romeo and Juliet last summer, she is a very engaging actress and so musical. I think her Rhapsody on social media was stunning too, she fully understands and embodies the passion of the piece. Obviously she has a tremendous jump and is technically fantastic but it’s her performance over all that makes her thrilling to watch. She’s one of a kind! 

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just a quick question, does anyone know where to get a DVD/full recording of Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Quixote?

On Youtube, just type in "Don Quixote Osipova Vasiliev" and you will find an old full live from the Bolshoi.

Still on Youtube, you can also find the Scala full live with Osipova and Sarafanov (personally I prefer that version because of the shining presence of Sarafanov)...

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2024 at 12:31, art_enthusiast said:

Just a quick question, does anyone know where to get a DVD/full recording of Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Quixote?

There's an upload of a Bolshoi cinema relay of them in Don Q on YouTube (not on an official Bolshoi or Pathe Live account). If you type 'Don Quixote Osipova Vasiliev Bolshoi' you'll find it. Uploaded in Dec 2021 (actual performance was around 2010 to 2013 I think). 

(I think Paco and I might be referring to the same video! Ekaterina Shipulina danced Queen of the Dryads and Anastasia Stashkevich danced Cupid). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1