Friday Singles at Royal Opera House

Just in from ROH:

It was lovely to speak to so many of you last week and to hear how excited so many of you are to return to Covent Garden.

We know that some of you were disappointed when you were unable to find a single ticket for your chosen performance(s). Although we had increased the number of single seats on sale (from November’s socially distanced seating plan), the demand far outstripped supply. We would like to reassure you that we have taken this feedback on board and have looked at how we can better manage the single ticket approach and how we can increase this allocation.

We are therefore pleased to let you know that for the Spring/Summer 2021 programme we will be introducing Friday Singles. Every Friday at 1pm a strictly limited number of single seats will be released for each performance the following week. This new approach will start tomorrow, Friday 14 May, for performances during the week of Monday 17 May – Sunday 23 May inclusive and then every Friday at 1pm for the following Monday-Sunday until the end of the Spring/Summer programme. These tickets can only be booked by telephone through the Box Office on +44(0)20 7304 4000. They will not be available online or through the ROH Friends’ team.

If you would like to take advantage of Friday singles then please telephone the Box Office at 1pm, the Friday before the performance(s) you wish to see, on +44(0)20 7304 4000.

Tickets are strictly limited. We expect this offer to be very popular and to sell out very quickly. 

Our re-opening is in line with the latest UK Government guidance and we will continue to review and follow Government advice. You can now attend a performance in groups of up to six people or two households. You must practise physical distancing from other groups at all times.

Seven of our main stage performances will also be available on ROHStream across the programme.

We would like to thank all Friends and supporters for their patience in recent months, and we look forward to welcoming you all for the 2021/22 Season, our first full season in 18 months. We also look forward to returning to full capacity houses from September once COVID guidance allows.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MJW said:

We know that some of you were disappointed when you were unable to find a single ticket for your chosen performance(s).

Understament.
Seriously cannot believe that the ROH and the Royal Ballet think a 'strictly limited' Friday rush solution, phone only (?), is the correct solution to this serious issue hurting some of their most ardent fans. I guess single ballet goers have nothing else to do and don't need to plan in advance. Wondering why I pay for a Friends membership tbh. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Understament.
Seriously cannot believe that the ROH and the Royal Ballet think a 'strictly limited' Friday rush solution, phone only (?), is the correct solution to this serious issue hurting some of their most ardent fans. I guess single ballet goers have nothing else to do and don't need to plan in advance. Wondering why I pay for a Friends membership tbh. 

I have to agree - it seems a fairly half-hearted response to the issue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think we should give them some credit for reacting to the complaints.

I just get cranky when companies pretend they are doing you a favour, when in reality a scheme where people have to phone up every Friday to compete for a single ticket is far from user friendly.

I hope they will have extra staff on the phones!

I’m guessing it can’t be done online as the staff are going to have to chose unsold pairs to divide into singles and then shift the socially distanced empty seats about, depending on where the demand is.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Candleque said:

I just get cranky when companies pretend they are doing you a favour, when in reality a scheme where people have to phone up every Friday to compete for a single ticket is far from user friendly.

I understand your feelings, Candleque. It's an unsatisfactory attempt to put right a problem that should have been avoided as far as possible in the first place. But it is at least a recognition of the issue, and proof that it's sometimes worth complaining! They could have just continued to express sorrow that so many had been disappointed and left it at that, but instead they've actually done something.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I understand your feelings, Candleque. It's an unsatisfactory attempt to put right a problem that should have been avoided as far as possible in the first place. But it is at least a recognition of the issue, and proof that it's sometimes worth complaining! They could have just continued to express sorrow that so many had been disappointed and left it at that, but instead they've actually done something.

They have actually done something ... exactly this Bridie!!  That is more than can be said for other theatres.

Actually someone made a really good point higher up saying that more people than usual would be booking single tickets.  I know I'm usually a single ticket booker for ROH but not necessarily for other theatres.  I'm not in any bubbles with ballet-watching friends so we need separate tickets even if we are attending the same performances.

• Like 2

I do pity the poor staff who have to do this: can you imagine everyone ringing in and asking "have you got anything in [area]/at [price] or below?  No?  What about here?  Or there?  Oh, I can't/don't want to sit there ..."  It could take ages ...

I must admit that when I initially saw "Friday Singles" I assumed it meant they were selling us singles for the Friday performances, and went: "Why?!  Those are the ones they're streaming anyway!"

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

Are they sold out yet?

I've just bought a single ticket for next week which I couldn't before, but it might be a "normal return", it was cheaper than the 2 tickets I already had although actually a better seat, so it seemed sensible for buy it and return the 2 others.  

I've been watching the booking levels for opening night for much of the day...along with having a life....and noticed that there were 22 seats left for most of the morning and up to about 1.30....it's steadily grown through 38, 41 to currently 55. Sat 22nd May has risen from 61 at 1pm to 78 currently. So I guess people are returning tickets after getting the number they wanted originally

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

because you’re helping a loved one through an incredibly difficult time?

Exactly.....I do feel, it's important that I go on  helping out now, if I want to look forward to a future for ballet. Possibly I am a pessimist, but there are so many problems for all the country's ballet companies in the future months- and years? - that I have my eye on the longer term rather than on getting what I want now ( which I haven't got....who has?)

• Like 2

From May 17th you can meet indoors (and even stay overnight) with somebody from another household. 
So is it against Gov guidelines to go to the ballet with a friend who you will already be meeting up with anyway. 

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

From May 17th you can meet indoors (and even stay overnight) with somebody from another household. 
So is it against Gov guidelines to go to the ballet with a friend who you will already be meeting up with anyway. 

Not any longer, apparently. However, it was that way when the tickets went on sale. That's surely why the demand for single tickets increased exponentially.

• Like 3

On 14/05/2021 at 08:40, bangorballetboy said:

because you’re helping a loved one through an incredibly difficult time?

I’m not a friend of ROH but I am a member of the National Trust, English Heritage, HHA and a few local places. I have kept the memberships running despite facilities being shut primarily because I support their work and would like those places to still exist and be viable post covid. ROH has taken a hit financially, providing lots of singles would reduce their capacity even further. I was personally pleasantly surprised that the cost of 2 seats was not much more than a single in normal times. The cost of social distancing and the empty seats has not been passed on to customers at the ROH. In normal times I think charging large premiums for singles is unfair but these aren’t usual times. 

just be this season affected. 

• Like 3

I agree about the general pricing

A good seat in the front Amphi costing £43 is good value for money. 
They could have hiked the prices ....Im sure I’ve spent £70 plus for the same seats when certain companies are visiting! 

45 minutes ago, Rob S said:

For a mixed bill?

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It’s always pretty high when the Russians come whatever it is! 

Last time there was a Russian mixed bill (the Mariinsky in 2017) the prices were the same as for the other programmes.

(Sales were a bit slower but not enough to make lowering prices worthwhile commercially, according to my fag packet calculations.)

10 hours ago, capybara said:

I don’t recall paying £90 before now to watch a Triple Bill from an Orchestra Stalls seat. 

No, most triple bills were topping out around £70 before last year, I think.  And the "very contemporary" ones about the £40 mark (which might reflect the lower takeup for the first bill?).  But prices for all were heading upwards, I seem to recall.

Incidentally, the ROH got a quick mention on the BBC News on Friday night - can't remember whether the national or local bit - about it restarting performances.

You can still view previous prices if you google. The triple bill in 2018/9 (concerto, Raymond’s, enigma variations), the top price OS were £75 and £71. Comparing my own tickets one set are a few pounds cheaper and one set a few pounds more expensive. 
Perhaps this triple bill is shorter but that’s probably countered by general price increases over 2 years. I do think it’s fair to say that there has not been a premium applied for social distancing. The alternative is presumably to increase prices and provide more singles and  invest in a better booking system to allow dynamic booking