Question for moderators about moderating

glowlight

Question for the moderators - did you guys have any training to learn how to be moderators?

You all seem to do your job in such a balanced and fair way, even when the message is tough.

I'm watching a friend who is moderating another forum, and she seems to be struggling.  

I'm wondering if there are any resources you can recommend which might help her.

45 minutes ago, glowlight said:

You all seem to do your job in such a balanced and fair way, even when the message is tough.

I think it helps that we are all balanced and fair people.

The real point is that we talk to each other when we need to (which is why it sometimes takes a while for decisions to be made); that makes a huge difference and, IMO, takes a lot of the pressure off.

• Like 1

I think Dave and BBB are right - it's because here we are a team rather than an individual.

I moderate on a Facebook group and I find that much harder although there are 4 of us who can intervene.  Some posts that, to me, seem innocuous can spark an absolute firestorm!

Can your friend recruit any other moderators?  That would help ease the burden.

• Like 1

Thankyou - since I posted earlier another moderator has been added which will take the pressure off my friend.  

It is a FB group and there does seem that things escalate very quickly from intelligent debate to people getting upset and hurt!

I will suggest to her that they add more to spread the load more.  They are also looking at whether their 'rules' cover everything they need to.

This re-iterates to me how good this forum is and what a good job our moderators do.

• Like 9

On 03/10/2020 at 16:47, glowlight said:

Question for the moderators - did you guys have any training to learn how to be moderators?

I'm watching a friend who is moderating another forum, and she seems to be struggling.  

I'm wondering if there are any resources you can recommend which might help her.

I'm not a moderator  here  ,   but i am an admin fpor an none dance related FB group  , we have  a team of 3 admins  on that group and often we'll discuss  stuff before making  final actions .. 

• 4 weeks later...