Tring Summer School

Tikijnr

Hi there 

My first post here, so thank you for reading. Have any of you ever done the Tring Summer school with boarding? Just the four days? My little girl will be nearing 11 and is really keen to give it a go, but with the age range from 9-18 and her being only 10 at the time, I worry she would be the youngest by years and would feel well out of her depth. Do younger children board too? She thinks it's a dance camp! 

Thank you 

Mine did a boarding Easter course aged 9 some years back.... was very homesick but think more for dramatic effect than real 🤣 

At the time she had a simple call/text only phone when others all seemed to have FaceTime/Skype etc so I think that might be a wise option for your DD to have (which it seems all youngsters have now with smart phones being so prolific!) 

Am sure she will have a great time!

• Like 1

We don't have any relatives she's stayed with but she will happily pitch a tent in a field with her scout friends so I think staying over she will be fine. This is all great thank you so much for replying. I think she's going to have an as great a time as she thinks she is. I've only ever let her audition for something once (pantomime, she was successful out of 145 kids and she starts on Saturday), I'm starting to feel a bit like I'm holding her back. She's danced since she was 2, I am only really just opening my eyes to all of this and am very hesitant, when she's already sold on it! 

Tikijnr, our DD’s seem to be on similar paths....the first thing for her beyond once a week Ballet class was auditioning for the nearest pro pantomime & out of a similar number she was the youngest picked!! That’s what led to booking short courses & all the rest that followed on! 

• Like 1

Mrs Brown, never say never & be aware there are some funding opportunities for certain summer schools & short courses....

Royal Ballet School openly state on website the criteria for funding.... means tested & I think some can qualify for up to 90% of fees reduction (deadline for Summer School applications is I think this Monday so be quick!! Sadly there is a stupid fee just to apply which does annoy me....) 

Also Yorkshire Ballet Seminars has scholarship auditions (I think age 8 or 9 upwards?) which can award a fully funded place for 1 or more weeks plus they have some bursary support available if certain criteria is met. Auditions I think are held various places (£10 fee but they get to attend a great class for this so money well spent) & butsary has to be applied for in writing st time of generally applying (which has to be sent in even if doing scholarship audition to be considered for a place) I think.

Also do ask locally.... I know from experience there are often small funds available from the likes of local Arts Clubs, some dance schools may even help fund the odd place (it is good for schools profile to have students out & about as it were!) Lions/Rotary clubs etc. We even funded one RAD week day course (£295 at the time) by selling things on our doorstep!  (Cards/crafts made by DD & I, cards from artist friends where we got 50p from £2 sale price... 

Must say last idea worked better when younger.... sign saying ‘9 year old X raising money for ballet summer school’ is more appealing than when they are teens & cukd potentially get a job!! (Except not possible really when away at vocational school of course....)

Good luck!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Mrs Brown, never say never & be aware there are some funding opportunities for certain summer schools & short courses....

Royal Ballet School openly state on website the criteria for funding.... means tested & I think some can qualify for up to 90% of fees reduction (deadline for Summer School applications is I think this Monday so be quick!! Sadly there is a stupid fee just to apply which does annoy me....) 

Also Yorkshire Ballet Seminars has scholarship auditions (I think age 8 or 9 upwards?) which can award a fully funded place for 1 or more weeks plus they have some bursary support available if certain criteria is met. Auditions I think are held various places (£10 fee but they get to attend a great class for this so money well spent) & butsary has to be applied for in writing st time of generally applying (which has to be sent in even if doing scholarship audition to be considered for a place) I think.

Also do ask locally.... I know from experience there are often small funds available from the likes of local Arts Clubs, some dance schools may even help fund the odd place (it is good for schools profile to have students out & about as it were!) Lions/Rotary clubs etc. We even funded one RAD week day course (£295 at the time) by selling things on our doorstep!  (Cards/crafts made by DD & I, cards from artist friends where we got 50p from £2 sale price... 

Must say last idea worked better when younger.... sign saying ‘9 year old X raising money for ballet summer school’ is more appealing than when they are teens & cukd potentially get a job!! (Except not possible really when away at vocational school of course....)

Good luck!  

sadly we would fall in the "not able to afford it but not struggling enough to qualify for help". Plus I really don't think she is good enough for anything like that anyway. She certainly won't go on to be a professional dancer. Perhaps I use our not being able to afford it as an excuse instead of not being good enough. 

My daughter did the Tring summer school last summer. She was the youngest there. She had a brilliant time. She didn’t board as she’s only 8 and you have to be 9 (I think), but she wants to board at whatever summer school she does this year. 

The dance course, if it’s the same one, is very varied. Ballet, contemporary, contact, choreography, contemporary choreography, street... and on the final day the parents are invited to watch as many classes as they like.

Happy to answer any questions.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrs Brown said:

my daughter just dances because she can't NOT dance if that makes sense. she lives for dancing (and reading) but she knows she won't be a dancer when she is older.

Well there's no better reason to dance! And there are lots of different paths that dancers take.  There are very few Darcey Bussells, but many people make a living in dance because they love it.  

• Like 2

So true glow light! Mine dances because she loves it, we've not considered what she will do really in future with it. She just loves to dance. 

Thank you TinyNEDancer! I haven't got a clue about a lot of this. Only heard about tring park about a week ago 🙈 I've got a lot to learn x