Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last night with my daughter. We are seeing both productions and we loved getting the insight into Mad Hatter as well as Royal Ballet’s Alice. Understanding the background to how the Zoonation characters were created and how the dancing flexes between freestyle and choreographed was really interesting too. 
I also thought that it was brilliant that they had built in the mental health narrative into the Zoonation show and to the insight, both in terms of MIND being there but also Steven Macrae’s personal journey. 

So pleased to see the newly debuting Alices, especially Viola as inconveniently her performances clash with holiday and other things… 

• Like 1

I enjoyed seeing Viola and Ella - both look very promising. But I didn't enjoy the rest of it (was watching on YouTube so I went off and did other things for some of the time) and didn't really find the coaching illuminating.

• Like 3

I very much enjoyed Viola and Ella - I thought they were both lovely, though I do think Viola is something extra special. The other bits were not something that appealed to me, alas, though interesting to watch parts of.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Did Stephen McRae dance at all?

Yes - he did a bit of Mad Hatter at the beginning (and after the introductory chat). Try about 7:00 minutes in on the YouTube

Edited by oncnp

At first I wasn't sure if I would like an Insight evening with two very different Alice versions in the same session. However when I played it back on YouTube and was able to fast forward and watch all the RB/Wheeldon bits first, then the ZooNation/Prince production excerpts next, I really enjoyed both.

Very thrilled to see Jillian Vanstone (Wheeldon's first cast National Ballet of Canada Alice) working with Viola and Ella. Also very reassuring to see Steven McRae looking  better after his injury and dancing again!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3