Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

My August dance lessons have vanished. Poor N has really damaged her ankle. We are having three lessons in July until the tap exam, since she has to teach until then. It's a compromise but one K and I are glad to make. N absolutely must rest her ankle. She was very upset when she told us but we both said that her well-being comes first.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lin, I thought you were going to report your experience to the forum of Franziska's Pirouette workshop; I haven’t posted anything as I didn’t want to steel your thunder.

Last night at ENB, one thing my teacher suggested to improve co-ordination and flexibility of the foot, is to practice raising and lowering each toe individually, just like Franziska’s clip and on the workshop too.

Went to my Sleaford for my ballet class tonight, it was a good fun class but it no longer contributes to my ballet education, so I just relax and enjoy it. What I do like is their “Stretch and Tone” class that follows, but tonight it was moved to a down stairs studio as it was so very hot. Even so we all drank lot of water during the class and the sweat just oozed out, it was hard work and as a result we must have burned lots more calories then usual.

Well here goes then in fact you've just mentioned what I was going to start with!! I didn't count but would say there were about 25-30 people present in a large studio for the course.

One of the most difficult exercises from the Pilates section (first 50 mins or so) was the separation of toe exercise. I don't know how she does it. Lifting up the toes and placing individually on the floor. The little toe is especially difficult! And for me the big toe because of my bunion is extremely difficult to separate from the second toe. Otherwise it was nice to warm up for the barre with this Pilates section.....although one hardly needed to warm up on the hottest day of the year in London so far on Saturday!! It's not a particularly aerobic warm up but you feel the whole body has been engaged so very satisfying.

After the ballet barre which I always enjoy(another hour) all the elements were there and Franziska always gives corrections with a good degree of humour but of course has serious undertone on how to keep your own body safe as well so somehow I feel she gets the best out of you.

After the barre we went straight into the pirouette practice. First en dehors ones and then en dedans. There was first a build up to the turn itself looking at use of arms, plie and use of head.......I really keyed into the latter on this occasion and leaving the head till the last minute really helped to keep focus on spotting point which kept the turns more under control. we did quite a lot of practice with no music before the pirouettes were put into small combinations travelling across the room which I really enjoyed finally combining the en dehors ones with the en dedans. I only aimed for one turn each time though.

Since the course I have noticed this week in classes that my pirouettes are definitely getting calmer and am judging the use of energy better though now need to apply this to consistently doing two turns with the same degree of control.

After a very short ten minute break the last 50 mins or so were spent on pointe work which I did on demi. Lots of controlled rises on both feet and one foot, and rolling up and down through the feet onto pointe/demi etc and some echappe work. The demi people were also given some jumps like assemble and petit jete and practiced assemble battu at the barre only. The pointe work was all at the barre and at beginner level......there were only about half a dozen girls who were much beyond this anyway and could have coped with centre work but none was practised on this course.

My only gripe is that I still feel there were just a few people there who should not have been on pointe. It was all very safe and not much chance that anyone would injure themselves but some people could not pull up onto straight legs even, so that would be indicative for me that they were not yet strong enough but perhaps Franziska wants to allow people the experience they are so keen to have and adults do have to take responsibility for themselves too etc .....but I personally did not like to see it.

It was a lovely day but I enjoyed the previous workshop more because we did more general centre work on that one and learned the repertoire piece which I really enjoyed. So am looking forward to the next one in August which is a repertoire based one again.

One thing though my calves were really sore that night from all that demi pointe work!

And it was nice to meet someone from the Forum as Michelle did this course as well. :)

• Like 1

Lin: What a lovely explanation.

I felt a bit down hearted this morning, I was getting myself sorted out to go to my Saturday ballet class at the Elite Academy of Dance in Grantham when a little bird in my head said check the term dates, it ended yesterday, oh poo. I’m really going to miss them now as I haven’t been there for the last 4 weeks as its been all performances and workshops, I did inform them though at my last session but didn’t realise it would take me up to the end of their term.

I think for most of my classes, next week is the last week, then for me its 3 summer schools in a row and a couple of repertoire workshop too. My ENB classes as it’s a new term (2 weeks ago) continue and although I am on summer schools during the day I can still manage to attend the ENB classes. I was hoping to get back to the ROH classes too, as I haven’t seen the girls there since February, due to rehearsals, but they are on break now until the 11th September.

Ah well I will just have to console myself with a Salsa party tonight and that the LAB Summer Intensive is only a week away.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

Went to Body Balance this morning, it just seemed too easy, I know I’m not stretching as far at the moment as I am trying to avoid injury prior to my summer schools starting next week, but there just seemed something missing.

Went to my afternoon ballet class where we were used as guinea pigs, first half was regular barre work with our existing teacher, the second half was called eXtend Barre (Not Power Barre that I mentioned in a earlier post). Its something from America, we never used the barre at all, however it was fast moving, and very aerobic but never the less did utilise many traditional ballet moves, but this was more about building up fitness rather than technique, it was really good fun. However the date suggested for the proper launch for this course conflicts with my local ballet class, although our guest teacher did say the date is not set in stone. So I guess its watch this space.

At Lincoln this evening, it was back to the sticky floor at the University, our teacher has promised to see the organisers to get the floor cleaned during the break, it was awful against the floor we used last week at a nearby community centre. That one although not sprung was wood and very slippy, we did lots of pirouettes and the floor was just wonderful for that. Both classes are now closed for the summer break.

• Like 1

Michelle, which school is the Lincoln university one, please? I cannot access one of the websites you sent me for Lincoln. We are going to move and it's very important for me to find a ballet class before we go! :o

• Like 1

Hi Fiz

I think the website I must have sent you was for Lincolnshire dance which also operated under the Dance Box, sadly it went bust. Kat my teacher used to work for Lincolnshire dance, she now works for her self. The classes are held at “Bishop Grosseteste University" (LN1 3DY), Kat hires the studio there for our class and her Contemporary ballet class. She runs a number of out reach classes too. I am also told GoDance has premises in Lincoln too; GoDance is another one of my ballet schools at Sleaford, I think I have already given you details of that one.

If you want Kats Email address, just email me and I will send it.

I’m just home from a very hot London trip today, whilst at Pineapple our teacher decided as we were all very hot after the barre work we would do stretching on the barre today which finally end up with us all doing front splits on the floor. That’s the first time I’ve done splits as part of the class. Although I can’t fully bottom, I was closer than I have ever been today; I was really please with the result ever though I was a little bit cautious with all the summer schools coming up. ENB was good tonight too, although we didn’t do anything too strenuous due to the heat. However today I manage to fall over twice, firstly on the cobbled street just outside ENB, then on the tube when I was lugging my suitcase on wheels to my seat, the train started moving and I tripped on a young mans foot and fell on the floor. I didn’t hurt myself, only my pride, I felt so stupid.

• Like 1

Oh Michelle be careful. Tubes and buses are lethal if you are not careful ....it's a bit like rock climbing you need three points of contact always!! Even if you don't actual fall over its so annoying to be suddenly flung madly into some poor unsuspecting person and end up clinging wildly onto their arm while you both then try to remain upright.

Up in York at the mo and going to see a Masterclass given by Anthony Dowell this eve so looking forward to that. No ballet for me till sat so better do some yoga and stretches to keep loose. There's some hens turned up clucking very loudly outside window at mo sent as accompaniment?

Or possibly sent to check guests are awake and ready to go down to breakfast!!

Thanks,Michelle, I will email you. I think Kat might suit me since I have a daughter named Kat who now lives in Lincoln :) Two of the websites, Lincolnshire Dance and Dance Box, are dead and someone I follow on Twitter is very distressed as Lincoln county council are threatening to buy the lease on her dance school's studio which would mean that Kat would be the only person offering adult ballet in the whole area! ;(

Hi Fiz

Just another little snippet you will be interested in. I have spoken to Kat about point work as she said she was willing to teach me when she was at Lincolnshire dance, I mentioned it last Monday, she has two other girls, I think teens which also need point work, I am not sure if they are already on point or not. But Kat said she is considering starting a 30 minute class for pointe immediately after our regular Adult/teen ballet on a Monday after Christmas, that will suits me very well.

• Like 1

Hi Fiz, the dance school you mentioned has actually got new premises lined up, so we are not ready to give up on them! They are fantastic teachers and have quite a few adult classes, including pointe work. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more. X

Yay! I had my class with K tonight and we worked so hard! Last week we were in a tiny studio with two fans and no air-conditioning as the exam classes were in those studios. We were wringing wet at the end! Tonight we had our pick of studios as term and exams are over. We had the largest air conditioned one. We worked really hard but it was great fun too. However we were still very damp by the end :o I was so high when I got home that I wished I could have more than one class a week. God willing, I will :D

Hi Fiz

When do you think you will be moving to Lincoln, it sounds as if it’s getting close? It sounds as if you will have your pick of adult ballet classes.

I think I am at my limit now of a dozen with Tuesday being my heaviest day with 5hours +, I know I’m really tired the next day as I come down from the high, its a really long day too leaving the house at 8.40am and returning home just before 1 am the following morning.

Tonight’s class at Sleaford is a real fun class, although its supposed to be for Adult beginners most if not all the girls have done ballet before. Sleaford do have an improver’s class on a Thursday, when I first started with them they would not let me join it as they had only known me a couple of week or so.  I’m not sure of its standard as I soon moved on to Peterborough and Kings Lynn classes on a time share basis, both classes are of a good standard.

The only reason I am back at Sleaford, both my other Wednesday classes, Angles Theatre and ROH are on break, however the ballet teacher at Sleaford does have a good Stretch and Tone class that follows ballet. When the breaks are over Sleaford will be on a one in four timeshare with ROH and the Angles Theatre on a two in four for Wednesday evenings. This arrangement will hold until Feb/March in the New Year when we get back to rehearsals.

Just a little something that came up in my local class yesterday, we were doing Rond de jambe á terre’s. My teacher Nicky is a stickler for technique. I queried I had often seen a snaking effect that almost approximates the third as the gesturing foot passes from one side to the other, rather than going cleanly through first position as we are taught in that class.

I think this may have something to do with the loose way 4th position is often stated, its something I’m always querying in new classes with Plié’s, as often if the teacher is some distance away it can be unclear if its 4th opposite 5th or 4th opposite 1st , its only if they lift the ankles does it become clear that its 4th opposite 5th.

One of our girls seem to think one of the schools she attended as a little girl, the position of the gesturing leg at the extreme ends of the arc in a rond de jambe (Tendu) was in line with the big toe on the supporting foot, rather than the edge of the ankle. I also remember one night last winter at the ROH class, we were either doing Tendu’s or we were stood in tendu with the foot behind, it was suggested to me to take the gesturing foot further round as it created a better line, I think on balance that was probably the same position.

I am curious as to if there are two distinct techniques or if one is seen as bad form, especially as a couple of ballet books of mine suggest the arc does not extend over 180 degrees.

My sense is that these are fundamental technique questions which many adult beginners might ask. By going back to the basics and thinking about what is the purpose of each exercise at the barre I believe this will be helpful. A house cannot be built without firm foundations. It's the same with learning ballet. There needs to be a period of acquiring good basic understanding of technique and correct usage of muscles. If this is not integrated and understood fully before progression to more advanced steps then there is a greater risk of acquiring bad technical habits or risking injury.

• Like 1

I have only ever done a 180 degree rond de jambe. In quatrieme derrière was your foot opposite your heal? It's easy to let it wander out a little as it often feels more crossed than it actually is, I am not an expert but I would have thought having it opposite 5th would destroy the alignment of your hips?

Hi Moomin

I have only ever been taught 180 degrees, as for the ROH correction, I may not have had my foot (toe) inline with my heel, I can’t be absolutely sure other than it felt that way. It was just that, that memory clicked in when one of our girls mentioned how she was taught when she was a young girl. The snaking of the foot passing through first position is not uncommon; I often see it in Pineapple, that’s why I raised the question in the first place.

Hi Balleteacher

I’m not sure what you expected me to make of your comment. Although I didn’t state it, the exercise in question was done at the barre, furthermore I am fully aware that it should incorporate a tendu devant and derriere, as many other ballet movements do or go through and close through. As for correct usage of muscles, whilst I agree in principle with what you are saying, it’s not something that is generally taught in class. Only very rarely is it mentioned and I’m attending 12 classes a week plus a whole host of workshops and summer schools on a regular basis. Furthermore even in detailed teaching books like “Teaching Beginning Ballet Techniques” by Gayle Kassing & Dannielle M Jay, there is little detail of the correlation to specific muscle groups. Conversely books like Dance Anatomy by Jacqui Greene Haas and Conditioning for Dance by Eric Franklin, do have some correlation but not to the degree implied in your comment. I cant help but think this is a acquired skill developed by doing and feedback correction by observation by self and by teacher to create the appropriate muscle memory.

By passing through tendu devant and derrière positions a slight 'snaking' effect is created but the toe should only be opposite the supporting heel. I have seen it overdone too although not by true professionals so I believe it is incorrect to take it as far as opposite the toes - I guess it's possible that another method teaches it that way but not that I'm aware of. Perhaps the girl misunderstood her former teacher or maybe her teacher was wrong.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle. It may well be that some people are taking their ronde de jambe movement through tendu opposite fifth position and arking out round from there. This may account for the snaking movement you have seen. I think normally it is a 180 degree ark because as your leg comes through first position the tendu opposite first is in line with the heel more.....whereas if you do a tendu from fifth it is marginally across the body more.

I agree with Moomin that as the leg swings round in its ark(arc?) when it come to the back the leg should be fully behind you but sometimes it's not quite far enough. This is important for grand battement derrière and develope derrière too....one sometimes need to check the leg is truly behind until you get a feel for this in the body.

Because I have been up in York at the Yorkshire ballet summer school I got the chance to watch some pretty good students and one of the things which stood out from many was the beautiful placement of the legs in perfect alignment to the front side and back. And interestingly enough one of the teachers today when talking about second position was asking some students to bring their legs a little forward so as to work the inside and underneath of the thigh muscles more and have the leg more correctly placed in the hip socket( some people who haven't got such good rotation in the hip and therefore don't have what's called 'flat" turnout...can try to take their leg too far to the side)

The other thing I noticed in some of the best students was when the leg was fully extended in tendu in any position that the extension really went right from the hip and extended down right into the foot which also gives a better line to the leg and looks strong.

When this strongly extended leg is then used in ronde de jambe exercise it really makes a lovely arc away from the body and I think it would spoil the beauty of this if the leg would then be brought across the body more in front so the tendu in front should be opposite first as I see it. Plenty to be inspired by today!!

By the way if you want to read a little book which explains the use of the muscles when doing the basic exercises at the barre then Roger Tully's "The Song Sings the Bird" is an interesting and very good one. I have mentioned this before on another thread I think.

Hi I think to point you made about 5th is exactly the same point I made earlier. I’m always cautious before I condemn a movement as I am aware of some differences in methods and also the use of terminology between different ballet schools eg Russian, Ceccehetti, French etc.

Yes I am aware of the return arc from one side to the other, I must confess I do just brush the heel of the supporting foot as I pass through first, its an indication to me via feel that the turnout is still maintained, which is more difficult at speed, and in any case Nicky my local teacher is almost willing me either loosen my turnout or not fully bottom my heel as it passes through first, and by heck she will spot it. I’m sure in some instances she has second sight. But then that’s what I ask her to do, provide feedback, which she does with enthusiasm.

I know there seems to be a bit of a consensus that the snaking may be poor technique, for the moment I will leave my mind open as its not something I do, but I have seen gaps during snaking of an inch to an inch and half between the gesturing and supporting legs as it passes through first, it just doesn’t look right.

OK about the book Lin I will have to get a copy. How are you getting on with your repertoire choice for bank holiday weekend, have you started yet?, I intend to start during our Chelsea ballet week, so I will see you there. I have packed my pointe shoes but still unsure as to if to take that first class of beginner Pointe at Chelsea.