Who will follow Bintley?

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

At a Friend’s event a couple of years ago we were told that the Birmingham City Council grant to the company would be gradually reduced over around 5 years. It came as something of a shock when it was reduced by 60% in one go.

I believe the grant from ACE is on a par with the other big companies proportionately speaking.

So was BRB getting better than average total funding in the past because of the grant from the City Council, and now is more on a par with other companies? Or do other companies get funding from local councils too? (Sorry - big question. But would be interesting to have some idea.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

So was BRB getting better than average total funding in the past because of the grant from the City Council, and now is more on a par with other companies? Or do other companies get funding from local councils too? (Sorry - big question. But would be interesting to have some idea.)

Which companies are you comparing it to? I think  Northern Ballet receive funding from Leeds City Council. 

Whoever succeeds at BRB is likely to be constrained by the financial burden which is the result of both the particular situation relating to  the  local council and the reduced  arts council  grants. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Which companies are you comparing it to? I think  Northern Ballet receive funding from Leeds City Council. 

Whoever succeeds at BRB is likely to be constrained by the financial burden which is the result of both the particular situation relating to  the  local council and the reduced  arts council  grants. 

I suppose I was thinking particularly in comparison with ENB, Northern Ballet and Scottish Ballet.

I see the funding for the Birmingham Dance Hub has been increased, but maybe that doesn't directly benefit BRB.

I would think a big question is whether the Board want to appoint an AD who will also be a choreographer and produce new works or do they want someone with the vision to commission new (or buy existing) pieces from other choreographers whilst preserving BRB's heritage.  Quite different scenarios.

• Like 3

I have spoken to David Bintley several times in the last year and begged him to bring Cyrano back but his answer has been quite simply that it was too big a financial risk. The perpetual ‘ bums on seats’ syndrome. I did get the impression that he was finding the cuts in funding a big problem when trying to keep the artistic integrity of the company. Certainly the last cut from Birmingham City Council was a savage blow. I fear that this situation is going to throw a big shadow over finding his successor. It is a very sad situation particularly as the company is now stronger than ever and has been having great success wherever it has performed lately.We can only hope and pray.

• Like 5

I have some vague recollection, a year or so ago, there was talk of BRB moving to another city. Not sure if there was any credibility behind it, but I would hate to think that things might implode. Let's hope in these uncertain times that there's some statement of intent from the City and other major backers that this company will continue to get their support, then the position of AD might prove to be far more attractive.

• Like 2

On 10.3.2018 at 23:29, Odyssey said:

I have some vague recollection, a year or so ago, there was talk of BRB moving to another city. Not sure if there was any credibility behind it, but I would hate to think that things might implode. Let's hope in these uncertain times that there's some statement of intent from the City and other major backers that this company will continue to get their support, then the position of AD might prove to be far more attractive.

Ah I still regret the rejection by Manchester and other bodies not to consider the proposal of establishing a creative hub of Royal Northern College of Music, Northern Ballet Theatre, and the soon to be homeless Sadlers Wells Royal Ballet. And there was an Opera option (pre-Opera North) too. There was a plan to upgrade the Manchester Opera House, and the Palace theatre was considered too. But no money, no real desire, and there were concerns re identity of NBT being swallowed up. Anyway both Birmingham and Leeds had the vision, and NBT moved to Yorkshire. As a Mancunian it was such a missed opportunity...

Edited by Vanartus
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Might I suggest that those concerned about BRB's future in Birmingham and related funding aspects go immediately to one of this morning's Links, where they should find some degree of reassurance?

Maybe I am misunderstanding this but the article seems to be about the capital expenditure on the ballet hub extension.

• Like 2

It's always good news when opportunities open up for wider participation and enjoyment of dance. As far as BRB is concerned, the Dance Hub initiative is unlikely to have any direct impact on their funding stream. However, if Birmingham is seeking to continue to build an identity as a centre for dance which is recognised internationally, then it follows that the BRB would remain at the centre of any such aspiration. My worry is that those responsible for appointing David's successor will be under pressure  to find someone who can 'reinvent' the company. 

(Edited to add that I recall the interview with Sir Peter Wright discussing the initial move to Birmingham - he was finally convinced of the rightness of the decision by assurances from the City Council that they did not want to 'interfere' or see the company as just a marketing tool. (Hopefully, this remains the thinking)

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It's always good news when opportunities open up for wider participation and enjoyment of dance. As far as BRB is concerned, the Dance Hub initiative is unlikely to have any direct impact on their funding stream. However, if Birmingham is seeking to continue to build an identity as a centre for dance which is recognised internationally, then it follows that the BRB would remain at the centre of any such aspiration. My worry is that those responsible for appointing David's successor will be under pressure  to find someone who can 'reinvent' the company. 

Yes, very well put Odyssey. It seems to me that a commitment to 'dance' in this sort of context isn't necessarily the same as a commitment to classical ballet.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 12:41, Mary said:

Yes- good news I am sure but is it actually supporting BRB as such, or in fact suggesting other companies using this space?

if you look at  the St Cecilia street building in Leeds,  it;s home to  Northern  and  Phoenix as well as their  community projects,  the Academy of the northenr Ballet, the CAT ,  several associates  schemes  as well as the northern end  that ever  growing  side project  of Ms Bateman and Mr Kierce  (i.e. TBR)

i don;t think  the co location of Northern  and Phoenix has done any harm to  either organisation  and  arguably gives them both acess to  facilities they would struggle to justify alone 

Edited by Nicola H
  • Like 3