Principals workload vs. everyone else

Referring back to a previous page yes of course technique dramatic ability and general artistry are all equally important.

whatever the level of technique I have a hunch dancers may sometimes need to "fall back" on it when not otherwise inspired for whatever reason when performing on a particular day! 

I think that's why it's so exciting when just certain performances attain greatness....everything is perfectly married together and the dancer feels totally free to engage in the role ( and with partners etc) This is definitely communicated to the audience and they then have a great time watching!! 

There will always be dancers whose styles are just so different that difficult to compare the two.

For example I always thought Makarova was very moving....but for the sheer beauty of her technique at the time.....though of course no mean actress but her soul seemed to be in the dance itself whereas Fonteyn was also very moving but because she was able to communicate her emotions so clearly and directly .....she seemed more immersed in the character or situation she was in ....her soul seemed to be in the emotion of the part ....but she was no mean technician either at the time.

Different as chalk and cheese but both equally moving for me anyway

• Like 2

To get back to workload I'm sure Fonteyn had a pretty high load and on top of this she made frequent visits out to Stoke Mandeville where her husband was recovering from being shot in Panama. She was a pretty tough lady but must have been exhausted sometimes before going on stage but she rarely let her audiences down. 

Perhaps the reality of a live audience out there got her through it even energised her I have no idea. 

Even though at times they may be really busy I would say that generally it's easier being a member of the corps de ballet than being a Principal or soloist .....so much is resting on individual roles .....though of course in ballets with large corps work like Giselle or Swan Lake it's no good if the Principal is wonderful and the corps are a mess!! It all has to mesh together for the audience to have a great experience.