Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

Not sure if this is the right thread but watching Richard Alston's wonderful dance, Carnaval, at the Wells on Saturday, which was more balletic and far more musical than some new pieces the Royal does nowadays, I thought it would be interesting if Kevin O'Hare invited him to choreograph for the Royal in the future. (K O'H was at the performance)

• Like 5

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows?  I still haven't worked out what KOH's line of reasoning is with regard to inviting outside choreographers, and whether Alston would fit the bill, but there was plenty of very fiddly, almost Ashton-style, footwork in there (I Googled on Liam Riddick later, and was very surprised to see that he didn't appear to have had a lot of ballet training).

Well it's 35 years since Alston's last piece for the company, so maybe they could risk another try?

It was called Midsummer and had its premiere on the same night as Bintley's Consort Lessons - John Percival In D&D liked them both, and his last paragraph reads:

"A final thought: how good it was to see the dancers as people - not playing roles, not being funny, not hidden behind the glossy body-tights that often turn them into shining objects, but as themselves: attractive, individual, different. I for one would enjoy seeing that more often."

Oh yes.

(And Alston  has always acknowledged Ashton as a strong influence.)

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
On 23/01/2018 at 12:28, FLOSS said:

As far as other possible Ashton revivals are concerned much as I love Month I think that it is about time we saw works which are not revived so frequently. Daphnis and Chloe is a great but neglected work. It would be at the top of my list for revival as it has not been revived since 2004 and the company has a number of potential casts who would, I think, do it justice. My only caveat would be that the entire cast has to be selected on the basis of their suitability for the roles rather than their seniority or the need to give a particular dancer something to do. The reason for its neglect is nothing to do with the quality of the work and everything to do with its cost. It requires a large orchestra and the opera chorus and the chorus  does not come cheap.

In the Albert Hall the other night, as the music of Daphnis and Chloe flooded the auditorium, I thought: we absolutely have to have this revived.  Muntagirov needs to dance Daphnis.  I need to see it :) 

(And of course if those Balletcoers who don't like the score felt the need to leave early I'd be happy to take their place :)  )

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Livia said:

My wish list? To see the corps just once, properly rehearsed, on top of their legs, not looking strained, scared, all in unison and back in mastery of classical technique. 

Livia, I've been watching ballet for over 30 years but I've never had a dance lesson in my life.  I'm not a regular at the Royal Ballet but I do see a number of home and visiting companies.  At the live performances of Giselle I saw and at the cinema streaming of Swan Lake the corps looked fine to my eyes.

That is my background.

What is your background to be so critical of the technique?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Livia said:

I believe you've answered your own question there, my dear Janet. You have the passionate, loving all-forgiving eye of the ardent supporter which is a wondrous thing.

Sadly my criteria are more from the jaded perspective of the professional eye, a curse, I know, but must one really all sing from the same hymn sheet?

But, my dear Livia you have neglected to answer my question.

Livia, in a previous post you supplied your full name, so perhaps you'd also like to share with us what form your professional background takes?

I'm sure you'll understand that many here have learnt the hard way to be wary of posters making unsubstantiated claims to insider knowledge or expertise.

2 hours ago, alison said:

In the Albert Hall the other night, as the music of Daphnis and Chloe flooded the auditorium, I thought: we absolutely have to have this revived.  Muntagirov needs to dance Daphnis.  I need to see it :) 

(And of course if those Balletcoers who don't like the score felt the need to leave early I'd be happy to take their place :)  )

Totally agree. Muntagirov would be the most beautiful Daphnis and I think Hayward would be a heavenly Chloe - can just see her in that final solo. Soares was a very convincing Dorkon and I enjoyed Nunez, Morera and Bonelli all in their respective roles last time around. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that KO'H is on record as saying that the large choir makes it too costly to revive - forgive me if that isn't actually what was reported or said. If so, I suppose that would also exclude a number of other choral ballets from the repertoire. 

1 minute ago, Darlex said:

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that KO'H is on record as saying that the large choir makes it too costly to revive - forgive me if that isn't actually what was reported or said. If so, I suppose that would also exclude a number of other choral ballets from the repertoire. 

I wasn't there, but didn't they manage it for the NB Glorias which formed part of the ROH MacMillan celebrations?

And it's just a passing thought, but is there something which precludes amateur choruses other than children's choirs from singing on the ROH stage instead of the RO chorus? There are some pretty good ones in London: obviously I'd prefer to hear the house choir (and I'd understand why there might be restrictions) but the RB bringing in a different chorus to accompany a ballet is IMO quite a different matter to the RO doing so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Totally agree. Muntagirov would be the most beautiful Daphnis and I think Hayward would be a heavenly Chloe - can just see her in that final solo. Soares was a very convincing Dorkon and I enjoyed Nunez, Morera and Bonelli all in their respective roles last time around. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that KO'H is on record as saying that the large choir makes it too costly to revive - forgive me if that isn't actually what was reported or said. If so, I suppose that would also exclude a number of other choral ballets from the repertoire. 

Totally agree, Daphnis a particular favourite of mine. would also love to see Campbell as Daphnis; for me he's a perfect Ashton dancer. I do wonder if a large choir is necessary - my recording lists 32 singers, I don't know if that counts as a large number of not. Suppose they could finish with a rousing performance Les Noces and make it worth their whi!e!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Livia said:

Fair for whom? So if my 'qualifications' don't pass your censure I'm not allowed to speak? 

I saw the Bolshoi and the then Kirov frequently throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s, but I never once thought I'd be subject to the Stalinist dictates of silence unless towing the party line that those marvellous artists once were. Forgive me, Janet my dear, a little ballet humour to lighten the mood. 

Hmm.

7 minutes ago, Livia said:

Fair for whom? So if my 'qualifications' don't pass your censure I'm not allowed to speak? 

I saw the Bolshoi and the then Kirov frequently throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s, but I never once thought I'd be subject to the Stalinist dictates of silence unless towing the party line that those marvellous artists once were. Forgive me, Janet my dear, a little ballet humour to lighten the mood. 

No, because the way you phrase your posts seems quite patronising of other people's views.  You obviously hold very strong views and I am prepared to learn from them.  However, as with anyone I am trying to learn from, I like to know what their knowledge base is.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Livia said:

I've only just seen this debate and don't profess any knowlege other than as a committed fan but surely you can see that if you are going to set yourself up as some sort of expert, your argument has more weight if it has provenance?  I frequently take contrary opinions on this board but my views are always just those of an observer.  If you believe the corps is not functioning correctly, I really would like to learn more about this so that I too can look with a critically developed eye.  Nobody is trying to 'out' you, its just interesting to know where your opinion comes from.

I take it all back.  I've just looked at the other thread you started and it seems patently obvious that you are a troll.  Unfortunately from the trolling perspective, this is a very polite forum for people who genuinely love ballet which is probably why you were given the benefit of the doubt, but we've been had!

My guess is you have Russian connections - and they may not be exclusively ballet ones!  I suggest we abandon this thread.

PS:  Xander Parish is indeed an accomplished dancer and certainly he blossomed in Russia.  But, for the record, I don't think he is in the same league as any of RB's male leads.  Good, but no cigar!

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Livia said:

Janet, my dear, I have no desire to teach you, I would never presume. We are both femmes d'un certaine âge. We are equals my dear, I no pedagogue, you no pupil. I'm merely starting conversations and opening up debate. I've shifted the focus from hagiography to exchange. Might I suggest, if you do wish to expand your knowledge you research some adult learning courses? There are many marvellous ones out there and full resumés of course tutors are provided before payment taken. 

Please don't bother to patronise me.  I am not your "dear".

So we have someone with strong views who is not prepared to back those views up with the benefit of telling us her experience.  That is hardly opening up debates.

• Like 4

Livia,

I don't think that you need to set out your credentials in order to be permitted to express the opinion that there are things that are  missing in a company's performances. It should be sufficient for everyone that you are able to describe what you think is lacking particularly in performances which everyone has lauded to the skies. I am not suggesting that you should be critical for the sake of criticising. I am  merely saying that you should not feel constrained to be silent or to say nice things about performances by popular dancers which you think were not up to the mark. I think that it would be helpful if you felt able to do so as  it might teach all of us to look more carefully and critically at what we are watching on stage rather than being swept up in a wave of unthinking adulation.

As far as I am concerned while the Royal Ballet looks in a much healthier state than it was ten years ago and unrecognisable when compared with what it looked like twenty years ago that does not mean that there is not room for improvement or that Kevin  has found a winning formula which guarantees continued success and improvement in perpetuity.I can't help thinking that  the real problem is that the company is trying to be all things to all people by being a classical company and a modern dance company sometimes being both in the same week.

I think that at some point the Artistic Director is going to have to decide what the company's true identity is to be and set about programming ballets accordingly. If it is to be an outstanding classical company rather than a company which dances a wide range of repertory and dances the nineteenth century repertory to an acceptable level then it needs to dance a lot more performances of its core nineteenth century repertory than it does at present and not in block performance either. If I had any control over the repertory I would certainly ensure that all  five of de Valois' classics were staged regularly and I would ensure that instead of merely paying lip service to Ashton as being "central to the company's artistic  identity " ;telling amusing stories about him and staging the occasional all Ashton programme to salve the corporate conscience they actually danced his works regularly. A few exemplar casts rather than casts composed of dancers who are unsuitable but need to be given something to occupy them would be a good starting point,

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Livia said:

My dears, all of you, look at the way you're all behaving.

Pot, kettle, black?

I seem to remember that at one stage this was a thread about a wish list for the forthcoming ballet season ...

• Like 3

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer non cursus justo. Nulla pulvinar eleifend commodo. Cras quis odio pellentesque, mattis eros eu, mattis est. Proin iaculis tempus libero ac varius. Donec lobortis non lorem eget fringilla. Sed felis ipsum, rhoncus a nulla nec, dignissim egestas diam. Nulla condimentum cursus velit, a maximus eros ornare in. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Suspendisse pellentesque massa quis viverra tincidunt. Fusce quis pharetra ante, sed pellentesque magna. In a turpis vitae odio congue consectetur eget id elit. Quisque dictum erat ut pharetra consectetur. In at ligula accumsan, efficitur odio vel, eleifend mi.

Alternatively, and possibly more apposite:

Peregrinus expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis.

Good night.  We're a' doomed!

1 hour ago, Livia said:

Forgive me, Janet my dear, a little ballet humour to lighten the mood. 

Forgive me for stating the obvious but your comments are from funny and frankly unnecessary.  This has always been a polite and well-moderated forum and making snide remarks in the guise of fake affection ('my dear Janet') is pretty uncivilised.  Posters can disagree about performances without being offensive to others and if you post like a troll you must expect others to treat you like one.  Please stop being so unpleasant - nobody likes this sort of behaviour and if you are so serious about ballet that you can't engage with amateur enthusiasts then perhaps you're in the wrong forum.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

Forgive me for stating the obvious but your comments are from funny and frankly unnecessary.  Perhaps you'd prefer more exalted company than us?  I you do, I think the rest of us can manage without your spiteful commentary.

Linda

Seconded. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Livia said:

Oh heavens NO, my dear.

Muntagirov indeed would be a sublime Daphnis, far too transcendent to burden him with the vastly overrated and deeply insipid mediocrity of Hayward. 

Now Trinidad Sevillano was a gorgeous Chloe, Sibley was a delight as was Penney on her good nights. Ah fond memories, thank you dearest darlex.

Isn’t it great that we all see things differently.

Trinidad Sevillano, for me as a newbie ballet watcher, came on stage, breathed and all was well with the world.  She is one of my all time favourite dancers.

Thirty odd years down the line, Francesca Hayward comes on stage, breathes and all is well with the world.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Livia said:

Oh heavens NO, my dear.

Muntagirov indeed would be a sublime Daphnis, far too transcendent to burden him with the vastly overrated and deeply insipid mediocrity of Hayward. 

Now Trinidad Sevillano was a gorgeous Chloe, Sibley was a delight as was Penney on her good nights. Ah fond memories, thank you dearest darlex.

All of a sudden  the light has dawned: these are not the words of a real person.  This thread has become possessed by the malevolent spirit of one of Frederick Ashton's less successful boyfriends - hence the outdated and oddly camp phrasing.  I guess there's nothing for it but to send for the bell, book and candle - anybody out there good at exorcism?

Linda

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Livia said:

Sorry my dear, and thank you, typo aside, I'm sure you and I shall share many wonderful exchanges in the years to come on all manners of import related to ballet.

Not if I see you first.

I have now read every one of your comments you have made since you joined the forum (well, all the ones that haven't already been deleted) and I am positive that you and I will never share the same opinion on anything. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Livia said:

Oh heavens NO, my dear.

So he/she signs off with another “opinion” on a dancer that is held in high regard with the description of being “deeply insipid” . This is a troll, no reason to mention Francesca at all, not part of this thread so why mention her unless to provoke. I have seen this style before on this forum, the best thing for everyone to do is to ignore it all, do not respond.

• Like 3