Pirouette Record

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the record is for pirouette turns on one pointe (or in one go).. I think I've seen 6/7 turns before without the foot going back down to touch the floor but has anyone seen more?

If you google Sophia Lucia, there are videos of her doing 54 and 55 but she is wearing tap shoes, which makes it a whole lot easier, and they aren't very pretty. Baryshnikov does 11 in the film "White Nights" and supposedly has done 16 in a rehearsal. Also, Angel Corella has supposedly done 19. Finally, Annetta Lucero has done a 10 turn pirouette while tossing and catching a baton.

• Like 1

Here is a amazing dry spin of a video posted TODAY by a 39.5 week pregnant ASHLEY BOUDER, (a principal with NYCB) - and only four days from her registered due date - in class.  I won't be surprised if her child - when he/she chooses to make their ultimate entrance unto our world - has a truly EXTRAORDINARY sense of balance.  If so, it will have been well and very truly fashioned by an extraordinary talent who might yet bring new meaning to the phrase - 'MOTHER of all ballerinas' :) .  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEq0_bQP_2Z/

Edited by Bruce Wall

That got me wondering whether all the additional, and not well-distributed, weight in front will end up throwing the dancer's sense of balance ...

It's not unusual to see dancers still in class until just before the birth - a number of Royal Ballet dancers have done it, I know - but I don't know whether they would all be doing pointework and pirouettes?

Here is a amazing dry spin of a video posted TODAY by a 39.5 week pregnant ASHLEY BOUDER, (a principal with NYCB) - and only four days from her registered due date - in class.  I won't be surprised if her child - when he/she chooses to make their ultimate entrance unto our world - has a truly EXTRAORDINARY sense of balance.  If so, it will have been well and very truly fashioned by an extraordinary talent who might yet bring new meaning to the phrase - 'MOTHER of all ballerinas' :) .  

Thanks for that Bruce!  I wonder if the baby will come pirouetting out???  Or if it gets dizzy?

• Like 2

I danced until I was 32 weeks pregnant. I generally have my weight too far back so my pirouettes actually felt more centred when I was heavily pregnant.

I wished I had danced right up to my due date. Once I stopped class I felt much more lethargic and tired. I think class kept my energy levels up a lot. (It was a prepaid term of classes and at start of term I didn't know how I was going to cope so didn't pay up until I was due. Now I know!)

• Like 1

And sorry for getting a bit off topic. My son (now nearly 17 months old) loves music, loves dancing around, loves turning and loves when I throw him in the air. I'll see in a few years if he fancies talking dance classes!

(I went to see Manon when I was around 36 weeks pregnant. He stated proper kicking and dancing inside - during the act 2 brothel scene!)

• Like 4

Baby Violet Storm was born earlier today: http://www.dancespirit.com/news/ashley-bouder-mom/

• Like 3

My doctors actually encouraged me to take class while I was pregnant. They knew full well I was continuing to take class up to the late stages and were very supportive.

They did advise to really listen to the body on allegro though. By that stage my feet had swollen to at least 1.5 sizes bigger and so was more difficult to articulate. (The sight of my cankles... Something I'll never forget!) And obviously the extra fluids in the body, especially in the legs, and general extra weight of carrying a baby, put extra stress on for jumps. From pre pregnancy to just before delivery I think I gained around 20kg. I was able to do small jumps holding on the barre, but anything bigger than that would alert to me exactly where my pelvic floor muscles are...! It took an enormous amount of self control to "be good" and not join in the fun.

• Like 4