What *is* it about today?

alison

Pizza Express send me a code for free doughballs, valid today only.

Odeon send me a voucher for 40% off films - today only (no, not valid on SPECTRE or the RB live broadcast :().  Unfortunately, since they sent me one of those for last weekend, and I turned my nose up at it because there was nothing I wanted to see without going all the way into Central London (which costs more than the saving I'd make), and it's still the same load of old films on, I'm not going to be using that either.

Is there something I don't know about today which makes it particularly discouraging to people going out, or something?

Having just got back from an optician appointment and what was to be a shopping trip I can vouch that there were hoards of ditherers out in my local market town. My mother helpfully came back with the information it was very quiet yesterday on market day, normally heaving and today is pension day so all the village buses will have been running. I'm off to hit the Internet to do the shopping I couldn't face in person.

PS We have also had plenty of short lived vouchers from everywhere from Waitrose to Strada. Is it because we are half way through month until last pay day before Christmas and takings are slowing down?

I love the airlines that send me amazing offers for cheap flights that are always during school term time - don't they know that ballet teachers can only travel when the prices are the highest ie during school holidays?   Oh and this was in the paper - RyanAir are offering flights to Milan at 10 euro each or something crazy like that - but unfortunately there are no return flights................

It could be some sort of pre-Black Friday thing,which I think starts at the end of the month.[God help us].

Yup, Black Friday is 27th November and Cyber Monday is 30th November...

moneysavingexpert.com has an interesting predictor of what deals will happen when in the UK :http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/christmas-deals-predictor/ and quite a lot of sensible advice on how to avoid purchases that you don't really need....