Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

No, we wore real old-school box-pleated gym tunics for all sport until 1978.

I had tennis lessons but I certainly wouldn't say I ever "played" tennis! Can barely serve the ball over the net! Preferred lacrosse.

Aha!  In the fifties at my independent school we also played most games in gym tunics.  Exceptions:  for gym it was big knickers (for want of a better term) and a sort of blouse/tunic thing we normally wore under the gym tunic, and for tennis, an honourable exception to all other sports, it was a white blouse and skirt, never shorts (far too unladylike!).  In the interests of economy my school tennis kit was adapted for the occasion of my Confirmation - surprising what a modest Confirmation veil can do to elevate a dull sports outfit.  We played hockey, not Lacrosse - that was for our sister school in Norfolk (we were Suffolk).

Edited by AnneMarriott
change decade
  • Like 2

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were a hockey school but if the (Olympic umpire) PE mistress didn't like you...thank God we got a new junior PE mistress in 1978 who both brought us lacrosse and laughed at the gym tunics!

I wore white with a veil for First Communion, school uniform for Confirmation - and didn't we get some rude comments from some in the congregation when I was confirmed in a non-RC school uniform!!

• Like 1