Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness! That match between Donna Vekic and Jasmine Paolini was absolutely incredible! I wanted them both to win! Jasmine is such a little pocket rocket and a complete sweetheart.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Oh my goodness! That match between Donna Vekic and Jasmine Paolini was absolutely incredible! I wanted them both to win! Jasmine is such a little pocket rocket and a complete sweetheart.

More Italian flair!  Bravissima Jasmine. What an awesome match. I feel bad for Vekic but am thrilled for Paolini. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

More Italian flair!  Bravissima Jasmine. What an awesome match. I feel bad for Vekic but am thrilled for Paolini. 

That’s exactly how I feel, Sim. You must be absolutely thrilled!

• Like 2

What a match from Krejčíková! 

For the 21st time in the Open era a Czech woman is in the final (13 titles). Only the USA has had more woman finalists over this time, 

I'm counting Navrátilová as she was born Czech and it suits my narrative. Which makes her 1986 final against Mandliková an all-Czech affair, against the 14 all-American ones, unique.

• Like 4

Goodness me, I had Rybakina as a dead cert for the final, and was my pick for the title.  At least the ladies are providing plenty of excitement and wonderful tennis this tournament.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fiz said:

I was thinking before the match that I wished this could have been the final.  I'm now catching up on the match, and wishing it all the more!  At least both finalists have been to a Slam final before, so I hope the nerves won't be too bad.

• Like 4

I have a very soft spot for Paolini.  To think she had barely won a match on grass before this year, and now she is in the final.  Plus it is refreshing to see a female who is of normal height, rather than a whopper.  

• Like 3

Me too.  I've enjoyed watching her all season.

Having got to the end of the recording, though, I do think she was a bit lucky, as Vekic was distinctly hampered by her arm problems by the end, and I suspect would have won had she been fully fit.

Fantastic performances at both semi finals and a big hug for valiant Donna Vekic for battling on so brilliantly despite the injured arm- I hope it wasn't too severely injured.

Vekic and Paolini's match was officially recorded as the longest ever Wimbledon ladies' singles semi final match!

I read that Vekic was considering retiring from professional tennis- I hope she will now give serious thought to continuing after her brilliant playing at Wimbledon. She has qualified for the Paris Olympics- hope we will see her competing there. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Nick Kyrgios is commentating on the Musetti match, @Fonty! 😘 The same team called Alcaraz v Medvedev.

Oops, sorry.  My mistake!

The commentators for the Alcaraz v Medvedez match were Tim Henman, Andrew Cotter and Tod Woodbridge (I think?) 

What a wonderful ladies' singles final we got, especially in the third set when both ladies were playing well! 

Barbora Krejčíková winning, having been mentored by Jana Novotná, who herself was mentored by Martina Navrátilová, is a ballet-like transfer of skill and style (you know, like Juliet Burnett being coached by Valrene Tweedie, who was taught by Leon Kellaway, who was taught by Legat, one of whose teachers was Petipa): all three Wimbledon champions.

On another note, the Patron of the AELTC asked its chair to represent her and present the ladies' singles trophy. I do wonder, with Navrátilová in attendance, why the circle couldn't have been closed by her presenting it.

The Patron apparently intends to present the gentlemen's singles trophy tomorrow though, while her husband represents England at the football final.

Personally? I think if she's not up to presenting both singles trophies (perfectly reasonable given her current health issues) she shouldn't present just one - it gives the impression the ladies are less valued - and she's a lady!

• Like 1

It was an excellent final, it would have been even better if Paolini had won.  But it could have gone either way, and it just wasn't her day in the end.  I do feel sorry for her, losing in two consecutive finals, but congratulations to Krejčíková.

• Like 1

I thought Alcarez’s demolition job of Djokovic was absolutely incredible. Congratulations! I was disappointed for Paolini but pleased for Barbora K (I can’t spell her name!) since she was trying to win for Novotna as well as herself. 

• Like 5

On 13/07/2024 at 20:36, Sophoife said:

On another note, the Patron of the AELTC asked its chair to represent her and present the ladies' singles trophy. I do wonder, with Navrátilová in attendance, why the circle couldn't have been closed by her presenting it.

The Patron apparently intends to present the gentlemen's singles trophy tomorrow though, while her husband represents England at the football final.

Personally? I think if she's not up to presenting both singles trophies (perfectly reasonable given her current health issues) she shouldn't present just one - it gives the impression the ladies are less valued - and she's a lady!

Maybe the reason she was there yesterday rather than Saturday  was because it was the last day of the tournament, rather than it being the Gentlemen's Singles final.    Kate seems to be a genuine tennis fan and is usually there on several days throughout the fortnight.  I think the fact she wasn't presenting both is a measure of just how brutal the treatment is that she is undergoing at the moment.  

• Like 3

On 13/07/2024 at 21:36, Sophoife said:

What a wonderful ladies' singles final we got, especially in the third set when both ladies were playing well! 

Barbora Krejčíková winning, having been mentored by Jana Novotná, who herself was mentored by Martina Navrátilová, is a ballet-like transfer of skill and style (you know, like Juliet Burnett being coached by Valrene Tweedie, who was taught by Leon Kellaway, who was taught by Legat, one of whose teachers was Petipa): all three Wimbledon champions.

I think you should allow a little slack to someone who is undergoing treatment for cancer. The reaction of the crowd on HRH’s arrival yesterday said it all.

And here’s a picture from last year’s ladies’ singles final for good measure.

IMG_3918.jpeg

• Like 4

As I did say, @bangorballetboy...

On 14/07/2024 at 05:36, Sophoife said:

I think if she's not up to presenting both singles trophies (perfectly reasonable given her current health issues) she shouldn't present just one - it gives the impression the ladies are less valued - and she's a lady!

I much preferred the gorgeously coloured and cleverly cut Wimbledon purple frock HRH wore yesterday to the style and colour of the peplum top and skirt combo in the photo you provided from last year!

While I'm on clothes, it is in my opinion utterly ridiculous to apparently require a ten year old boy to wear a suit to the football. The Infanta Sofia, who was not at her first international football final, was not dressed so formally!

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

While I'm on clothes, it is in my opinion utterly ridiculous to apparently require a ten year old boy to wear a suit to the football. The Infanta Sofia, who was not at her first international football final, was not dressed so formally!

How do you know that it wasn't Prince George's choice to wear a suit, like his father? And they were there in an official rather than a personal capacity. (Just as Princess Charlotte didn't turn up in jeans to Wimbledon, with her mother.)

12 hours ago, Fonty said:

Maybe the reason she was there yesterday rather than Saturday  was because it was the last day of the tournament, rather than it being the Gentlemen's Singles final.  

Or maybe it was felt that, with the potential for Djokovic to set a new record, it would have been more appropriate for her to present the trophy then and skip the other?  I doubt she would have been well enough to make two trips - and the fact that everyone else was kept well away from her indoors does suggest that she may still be immunosuppressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

How do you know that it wasn't Prince George's choice to wear a suit, like his father? And they were there in an official rather than a personal capacity. (Just as Princess Charlotte didn't turn up in jeans to Wimbledon, with her mother.)

That's why, @bridiem, I said:

6 hours ago, Sophoife said:

it is in my opinion utterly ridiculous to apparently require

I don't suppose there was any actual requirement for Prince George to wear a matching suit with his father, but I thought he looked very smart and rather cute in his outfit.  A tricky situation for his parents, as smart casual is difficult to pull off at any age, let alone a child.  If he was dressed more informally on this occasion then there might have been criticism in sections of the British press that disrespect was being shown to the England team/Spanish team/host country/anybody else they cared to name.  

And just my opinion, but I thought the Infanta Sofia looked a bit scruffy.  As I said, smart casual is very hard to do. 

Enjoyed the tennis on Saturday and Sunday immensely- congratulations and well done to all the winners! Very joyful and emotional for them all, and particularly delightful to see Henry Patten (born in Colchester and raised in Suffolk), Harri Heliövaara, Taylor Townsend, Jan Zieliński, Barbora Krejcikova and Norfolk's own Alfie Hewett being so thrilled and emotional to win their first Wimbledon title in their respective events (not counting Hewett's doubles win)... and for Taylor, Jan, Harri and Henry, their first ever Wimbledon wins.

I'm looking forward to seeing (hopefully) Jasmine Paolini and Iga Świątek play at the Paris Olympics- the clay courts for this year's Olympics should suit their strengths. And I hope Henry and Harri will continue their partnership at the US Open! 

• Like 3

Back in 1970-72 when we lived in the area, we played a lot in the Great Park at Windsor because we were living in hospital housing without an outdoor space. There were huge trees, several hollow and suitable for use as a Wendy house.

We little girls often played with a little boy a bit older than I was whose nanny gave my mother a Paddington stare the first time we all met. He was beautifully, immaculately and entirely inappropriately dressed for playing outdoors in the wild until about the third time, when Nanny had him change in to jeans and a jumper in the shelter of a car parked next to ours.

Mum told us years later that Nanny had commissioned her to buy the jeans and jumper as HRH wasn't allowed to wear them except at Balmoral. I don't know how accurate that is.

I've always had a soft spot as an adult for the now-Duke of Edinburgh, and I think that 50+ years on it's still ridiculous to expect a ten year old to wear a suit.

• Like 2

@Sophoife....you mean you were playing with- Prince Edward?? I always thought the royal family would be surrounded by bodyguards and the kids and parent/caregivers with them would be vetted by security staff first when ourdoors in a park. Don't suppose you guys took a photo together? That'd be cool. 😀

We're used to many school uniforms here being essentially suits - blazer, trousers, shirt with stiff collar and yes, even a tie - but they are made of very durable materials these days, and kids do actually run around and kick a football or even play tennis in them (even when they're not supposed to!) Incredibly they seem to wash better and withstand rough and tumble more easily  than some brands of T shirts and jeans...  

Edited by Emeralds

Yes, we were.

No photos as Nanny (his) told Mummy (ours) not, apparently. We may well have been vetted but that's something we children would have known nothing about. The "Paddington stare" was probably the precursor to that.

I remember the park being almost empty, when we first went there it would have been January 1970. Mum drove us from home, he and Nanny either drove or rode. There was always a man with them, but I don't remember if it was the same one all the time.

I do remember being amazed when he said he was going "away" to school. That was when we found out our own father had left his small town in Tasmania at the age of eight to go to boarding school in Melbourne.

I can assure you private schools in Australia do still dress their pupils in stiff-collared shirt, tie, and suits - mostly with a blazer in school colours, but some full-on grey suits for every day. Girls' schools' winter uniform mostly includes collar and tie too, and usually a hat. Ours had mandatory gloves, winter and summer!

• Like 1

Gloves in winter sound practical but mandatory gloves in summer made me chuckle! For quirky uniform items, some schools here have straw boater hats- no doubt has some use in very sunny summer days (still need sunscreen though) but I can't help thinking what a nuisance they are to look after and replace when they get lost, even if they do look cute in photos. Many schools have switched to the slightly more practical (and inexpensive) option of caps in summer. 

A million years ago, our summer uniform was the year-round brown blazer, a yellow frock, brown lightweight gloves, and a real straw boater. Jumper was also brown, and we in years 7-12 had to wear brown laceups and American Tan tights. Also fawn underpants. We could remove the blazer if it was warm, but were required to retain gloves and hat. In winter it was a kilt, a fawn stiff-collared shirt, brown tie unless you were a prefect (green), the brown jumper, blazer, tights and shoes, and a delightful tartan beret. Junior school's looked liks a pudding, seniors was a "nice" angled one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

A million years ago, our summer uniform was the year-round brown blazer, a yellow frock, brown lightweight gloves, and a real straw boater. Jumper was also brown, and we in years 7-12 had to wear brown laceups and American Tan tights. Also fawn underpants. We could remove the blazer if it was warm, but were required to retain gloves and hat. In winter it was a kilt, a fawn stiff-collared shirt, brown tie unless you were a prefect (green), the brown jumper, blazer, tights and shoes, and a delightful tartan beret. Junior school's looked liks a pudding, seniors was a "nice" angled one. 

I hope you didn't have to wear this get-up for tennis!

• Like 1

No, we wore real old-school box-pleated gym tunics for all sport until 1978.

I had tennis lessons but I certainly wouldn't say I ever "played" tennis! Can barely serve the ball over the net! Preferred lacrosse.

• Like 1